• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

60 Gr. VMAX Powder Help

jfields

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2010
RGV, Texas
I am planning to load 2000 60 Gr. VMAX here pretty soon and would like some opinions on powder. I will be loading on a single stage press and will be throwing the powder charges with my Redding Competition powder measure.

Can anyone recommend a good powder for the VMAX. I have good bit of Varget and RE15, but they both meter like crap. I'd like to get a powder that meters more like H110. It sure seems to be more consistent in my powder measure.

Any ideas?

Thanks in Advance!

-J

I know you don't like the metering, but my AR loves RL-15 with 60 grain Nosler BT's.

I bought a bunch of Vihtavuori 135 a while back because it was readily in stock when I couldn't find any RL-15. I'm glad I did because this stuff shoots great in my AR's (on par with the RL-15) and now I have another alternative in times of scarcity. It meters about the same as the RL-15 however. I've used it with 60 gr. V-Maxes, 60 gr. Hornady flat base-HP, and a bunch of 62 grain lead and steel core bulk bullets.

Last edited:
The granules are about half the size of Varget. They meter pretty well for me.

AA2460 at 25 grains works great out of the 16" AR's. All I shoot is 60gr VMAX loads out of my carbines.

60gr Vmax is my most fav .224 bullet. I use 23.8 varget @ 2900fps & 60grn vmax's all of the time with my rock river arms 18" bull barrel varmint rifle & DPMS 3G1. so much that I purchased 1500 60gr vmax bullets... best bang for your buck .224 bullet IMO (works well in my 1:9 and especially in my 1:8 twist barrel).. I've tried benchmark before and although it is pretty good in terms of accuracy & especially the way it meters on my chargemaster,,,, I keep going back to varget for accuracy even when it meters like shit..... for me, varget is just an all around bad ass powder for both .223 and .308 AR's

I am planning to load 2000 60 Gr. VMAX here pretty soon and would like some opinions on powder. I will be loading on a single stage press and will be throwing the powder charges with my Redding Competition powder measure.

Can anyone recommend a good powder for the VMAX. I have good bit of Varget and RE15, but they both meter like crap. I'd like to get a powder that meters more like H110. It sure seems to be more consistent in my powder measure.

Any ideas?

Thanks in Advance!

-J

AA 2230 is a ball powder that meters like H110. I set my powder measure to throw 23.8gr and I check every tenth round and from the 1st round to the thousandth round each charge weighs 23.8 without having to measure each charge

I have had tremendous success with Benchmark and BL-(C)2 you could also run CFE 223 which is just BLC2 with Bismuth added to reduce Copper Fouling. IMR 3031 is also stellar and had a great velocity in the mid range powder load hope this helped OP

i use adi benchmark 2 here in australia (happens to be equivalent to hodgen benchmak). i use 24.4gr for my tikka varmint 223. when doing the ladder test i found that the 24.4gr shot hole in hole. forgot to mention i am getting about 3100fps with those loads.

equivalent table from adi, and apparently hodgen is adi powder in the us form what i gather reading adi's webpage.

Last edited:
Reactions: unclefreedom
Benchmark has really surprised me even with heavy weight pills like the 75gr BTHP good velocity 2670 fps and a .43 group at 100 using 22.2 grs Benchmark