• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Csafisher

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 12, 2020
Corpus Christi
Looking to get a tripod in the sub $600 range. Mainly for PRS/NRL. Might use it a little for hunting. At the moment my top choice is the Athlon Midas CF32. Are there any others that would be better or comparable?

My personal favorite is the Cadex tripod, but is a little north of your price range. Leupold is spot-on in that price range. There are a lot of choices, and assuming you have a good foundation, the head makes all the difference in the world, and you can go from basic to fantastic.

My personal favorite is the Cadex tripod, but is a little north of your price range. Leupold is spot-on in that price range. There are a lot of choices, and assuming you have a good foundation, the head makes all the difference in the world, and you can go from basic to fantastic.
Leupold pro guide seems to be pretty decent for the price.

You can get a Feisol 3372 for around $700, but under $600 if you're OK with used.

The Innorel RT90C can be had for right around $300 and you can get a plate from @midwestoffroad that makes the RRS Anvil lock into place perfectly.

Might have to look into them. But the nice thing about the Athlon is that it comes with a ball head
Tripods aren’t the places I’d be looking to save a a few dollars but do you.

Does Cadex make those? They look like Leofotos...

Reactions: diverdon
I run a leofoto 404c I think is the model. It has been awesome. I run it because I’m tall but they have the 364c which is in your budget and have a friend that has one and works great.

I run a leofoto 404c I think is the model. It has been awesome. I run it because I’m tall but they have the 364c which is in your budget and have a friend that has one and works great.
I just received the leofoto SO-364c and like it a lot. I’m 6’5” and even with the half ball adapter (YB-75LR) it will adjust higher than I would need.
The tripod I found on eBay for below $350 (new, last one) the half ball adapter was $150 from leofoto. Quick lever, arca and pic. mount.

Hate buying chin stuff but are a strong believer that the competition get at least the parts from them too.

Im 6’ 5” as well. My issue is glassing off the 364c, it worked but I hate being hunched over. Also shooting with uneven ground. The 364 was not tall enough in either of those situations. For general shooting off of a tripod the 364c is high enough though.

Im 6’ 5” as well. My issue is glassing off the 364c, it worked but I hate being hunched over. Also shooting with uneven ground. The 364 was not tall enough in either of those situations. For general shooting off of a tripod the 364c is high enough though.
Is it possible you are talking about the SA series? The SO is the inverted version and adjust to 70” without adapter.

I have not used any of the inverted models. The one one my friend used is the LN 364-C spec says 63” max height and the model I use is the ln 404c which is 73.5” max height.

Both are very stable and leofoto has not left me wanting for an upgrade. I have shot off of a friends RRS, no idea the model, and honestly thought my leofoto was more stable. The legs on his RRS were smaller diameter so maybe he had a cheaper model???

Basically I am super happy with the leofoto. Sucks it’s not supporting US but I also have to work for my money and spending about double the money for no performance gain just to support US business is a hard pill to swallow.

With that said I do run a RRS BH55 ball head. I feel that was money well spent.

Reactions: Schütze
I love my SCO tripod. SantaClausOptics. They make a “pup” and an “alpha” model. Incredible value and quality

I went with the larger “alpha” model. 40mm top section CF legs and 55mm ball head. Its super stable

Last edited:
Watch the px. I picked up a PVA comp 40 with RRS Anvil 30 last year for $600. I believe these are close to the two vets model.

World of difference over the shadow tech 0311 I was running before

Reactions: Csafisher
The legs on his RRS were smaller diameter so maybe he had a cheaper model???
I'm guessing this would be why it's less stable

I have a Leofoto SO-282c w/ 32mm tubes that's super light weight & good for glassing or a rear support... but for clamping a rifle onto, it's a POS

Reactions: Baron85
What's everyone looking for when buying a higher end tripod? I'm running a RT80c with a N44 ball head from amazon, and it seems to do everything I need. I use it as an AR/bolt gun platform for thermal hunting as well as for my spotting scope. It has been perfect everything I've done with coyote shots out to 300 yards. Just curious what a tripod this expensive gains me vs a total setup costing $275 including the ball head.

@Csafisher just saw this in the classifieds. Seems like a pretty good deal if your ready to buy.

@Csafisher just saw this in the classifieds. Seems like a pretty good deal if your ready to buy.
Ending up buying a vortex tripod from a member. Was under budget and seems to be a good compromise. I’ll try it for a bit and see how it works out.