• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 600 yard F-class: Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 PA vs. Viper PST 2.5-10x44?

SeptimusNil

Private
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2014
First, let me start by saying I'm new here and I just recently purchased a Remington 700 SPS in .308. I am interested on shooting 600 yard F-Class and recently narrowed my scope decision to the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44mm PA after about 2 weeks of research...until I found the PST variant with 2.5-10x44mm. This raised a number of questions:

1) How much power does one really need for 600 yard target? Will that 10x in the PST suffice? Or do I need something closer to 20x?
2a) Is the $200 increase in price really that justifiable?
2b) If I end up spending the $600 on the PST, how does it compare to the Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm Adjustable Objective Target Rifle Scope which sells for $500?
3) Should I just stick with the Viper 6.5-20 and spend that extra ~$200 on a stock upgrade from the less-than-stellar original SPS Stock? (I was looking at a Bell and Carlson Medalist, so I can bed the action and free float the barrel)

Things to Note:
-I'm in college, so money is fairly tight. I don't think I have the resources to buy the PST 4-16 @ $700, let alone anything higher
-Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If all you're doing is F Class competition and target shooting, you don't need the illumination that the PST line offers. Go with the Viper line.

Neither.

I've owned the PST 2.5-10x44. It would be a poor choice for F-class at 600 yards, for several reasons:
-fixed parallax set at 100 yards
-poor glass quality at 10x
-10x is not enough magnification to be competitive for F-class shooting (cue people talking about how they make hits on 4 moa steel targets at that distance... )

The 6.5-20 Viper might be OK, but wouldn't be my choice. You will probably find the exit pupil a bit small to really use 20x, and I don't know if the glass quality or adjustments are as good as you would want. If your budget is tight and you are focusing on competition, you would be much better off with a SWFA SS fixed power 12x or 16x scope for $299 and spending the balance on match grade ammo or reloading. (I would not get the 20x SS, however, because of the small exit pupil and chances of it being unusable with mirage or dim lighting.)

I shoot some 600 yard F-class and use a Sightron 6-24x50, which works well. Most other competitors at the match I shoot are using more magnification than that, either the Nightforce benchrest series, the bigger Sightrons (8-32x56 and 10-50x60mm), or once in a while a Viper PST 6-24x50.

Of the two I'd personally go with the Viper 6.5-20x44. I own eight of that particular model and have found them quite good for target shooting. The clicks have a positive feel to them and I've always had good tracking. Most of mine are on my rimfires that have a 50yd zero and often get dialed back and forth between 50 and 250yds. They have always returned to zero. If you have more funds take a look at the PST 6-24x50 SFP. They can be found in the $650-$700 range.

I went to enter a contest and saw that cameraland, which is a "hide vendor," is offering the Viper you asked about for $325. At that price, I would be tempted to give it a try.

Vortex - Camera Land NY

You might also look at the Zeiss Conquest they are offering for $599. I don't own that model but do own the 3-9x40 Conquest and it has great glass for its price.

Zeiss - Camera Land NY

I have no affiliation with or experience with this store, but it seems to have an excellent reputation here.

Doug at Cameraland NY is GTG. I believe they are one of, if not, the biggest Vortex dealer in the US. Good folks and a Hide Sponsor to boot.

I went to enter a contest and saw that cameraland, which is a "hide vendor," is offering the Viper you asked about for $325. At that price, I would be tempted to give it a try.

Vortex - Camera Land NY

You might also look at the Zeiss Conquest they are offering for $599. I don't own that model but do own the 3-9x40 Conquest and it has great glass for its price.

Zeiss - Camera Land NY

I have no affiliation with or experience with this store, but it seems to have an excellent reputation here.

Sweet! I'll check him out.

Again, thanks for the help everyone. This topic has had me stumped for the last couple days, but I think I'm settled on the Viper.

Okay, one last question:

How is the Viper HS-T 4-16x44 relative to the Viper 6.5-20 PA? I see that it has around an extra ~2 feet of FOV @ 100 yards, but would that make much of a difference. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I figure if I'm going to be looking at a target (not searching for game), it would be unnecessary.

Okay, one last question:

How is the Viper HS-T 4-16x44 relative to the Viper 6.5-20 PA? I see that it has around an extra ~2 feet of FOV @ 100 yards, but would that make much of a difference. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I figure if I'm going to be looking at a target (not searching for game), it would be unnecessary.

Probably different FOV from comparing 16x top end to 20x top end.

Look at Cameraland's demo page to save more money. Their "demo" scopes are basically new and come with same Vortex warrenty but will save you money.

Vortex Demo & Sample Gear - Camera Land NY

Agree that 10x is too low. If you are on a budget consider a fixed power Weaver T-24. This is a superb F-class scope prices around $400. It' not a multi-purpose scope, but it is perfect for F-class: extremely reliable turrets, perfect magnification, and acceptable glass. Lots of matches have been won with these scopes.

Okay, one last question:

I have both of these scopes and love them both, but for your intended use I would go with the 6.5-20 just for the extra magnification.

Okay, for all interested, I just purchased the Viper 6.5-20 PA today, and I am anxiously awaiting its delivery. I will post a picture of my rifle once its put together. Now to find some quality 30mm rings...
And again, thank you to everyone who helped!

Update: My scope and scope rings came in the mail today, and I will say, I am very happy with my choice. I was very hesitant to spend the $100 on the Vortex Matched Rings, but after sucking it up, I went with them, and haven't looked back. The construction is outstanding relative to the $20 Leupold Rifleman Rings I had before. As for the scope, I haven't had a scope this nice before, so I have nothing to compare it to, however, I am very happy with the glass quality and features on the scope, especially for the price. Again, thank you to everyone who gave their two cents, I would still be researching today trying to figure out what's what. As promised, here is the current build:
(Click for enlarged image)
photo.jpg