• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 600 yard shooting what power setting

Re: 600 yard shooting what power setting

There is no best.....it all depends on the size of your target. I can easily get on a 2MOA target with my fixed 6x, I can easily get on a 1MOA target with my 10x. It's all relative.

Just a personal preference thing. If I'm looking at a fixed target and fov doesn't matter, I use all I've got.

The reason I ask is. I shot a F-Class match and I shot the first string with it on 12X and shot a 198 6X. Then realize I was on that setting and turn the S&B to 25X. I would have thought I would shoot better but I shot 192 to 190.

The power is not very relevant for me. I used a 10x last year in one match at Byers and shot a 195 7x. I normally shoot a straight 16x at 600 and it always works well for me.

I think the reticle and size of target are the real keys. Once you figure out those 2 then you figure out power. I think for most things a 4-14 would be optimal out to 600, but honestly for most mid to large targets a 3-9 with a good fine reticle will work just fine.

I agree with diggler. It's a combination of those two. I feel that I can hold a smaller point of aim on a higher power, but if the reticle is large enough then it off sets that.

Depends on:

Shooter
Skill level
Target(s)
Lateral Spacing between targets

If I am going after a single target at 600, then I want as much magnification I can get to be able to ID the target but still spot the splash if I am off.

If I have multiples then I may want to be able to see them all or just the next one in the series.

Sometimes less magnification can force you to concentrate. As long as you are able to place the reticle in the exact same spot on the target each time, then it doesn't matter for target shooting. For real life you need to ID the target and more magnification can help.

Agreed...
Less magnification is more when spotting for one's self. Not to mention, mirage limits usable mag power when the boil is on...

The lesser mag. may have made me concentrate on the impact point. Then when I turn up the scope. I got more relax about the shooting and didn't hold as good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The lesser mag. may have made me concentrate on the impact point. Then when I turn up the scope. I got more relax about the shooting and didn't hold as good. </div></div>

I think you are on to something there!!!

as previously stated, depends on the size of your target, reticle, what your eye can see.

I have a fixed 10x and can see and shoot well out past 800+ yards

I do want more magnification, but this is due to older eyes.

I would say more my fault than anything. 12X should be good enough for 600 to 1000. I have shot a 1000 only 3 times. I didnt do to bad, but it is another ball game in its self.

8-32X, all the above are great answers. I think allot depends on weather. Last Saturday, calm winds, cloudy I used 32X for 400 yds.NP-R1 Reticle Sun came out, lowered to 22X to help with mirage. Hunting = 8X. That's why they make variables. IMO.