• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

600 yard target shooting ??

Racinready300ex

Private
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2010
Not beyond a 1000, but seemed like the best place to post this.

I want to try shooting in a local 600 yard match. Factory class with my little savage .223. I'm running a cheap Mueller optics scope 25 power with a bullzeye booster.

The only thing that worries me is will I be able to tell where I'm hitting to make adjustments at that range? That little .223 hole in the paper cant be easy to see that far away. I noticed alot of guys were using 42x nightforce. At this point that's not realy a option for me.

Re: 600 yard target shooting ??

Most clubs pull and mark the shot (on the target) with a spotter. You should be able to see the spotter with your scope.

Good luck

Jerry

Here is what I do.

Do an eBay search on 1.2ghz wireless

Get a 1.2ghz transmitter/receiver 4 ch. 1000mw.

Then google 1.2ghz patch antenna

I have a laptop next to my shooting bench, I hook the receiver and patch antenna up to an RCA to USB interface to my laptop.

I put the transmitter and a small color CMOS camera (~10$ to 20$ on eBay) down at 1000 yards under the target about 6 feet in front of the target about 5 feet below the center of the target (you can also offset the camera up to about 45 degrees as long as it is within 10 - 15 feet of the bullseye)

I shoot a round, look over at the laptop, and see the bullet hit the paper at 1000 yards. I usually zero in on clay pigeons next to the target before I shoot around the camera so I dont accidentally hit it.

I think this setup will work at up to 2000 yards.

Are you going to try F-class shooting? Shooting the .223 would be ok for the tactical Rifle class. I currently use a straight 10 power by IOR and have no problem shooting a grand. F-class shooting they pull the target down after every shot and mark it. I can see the markers with my bare eyes at 600 yards and if there is no mirage perhaps farther.

I think it's IBS, don't know if they mark the hits or not. I went and watched there last match, didn't think about how the hell they could tell what they were hitting. lol

Can you use a spotting scope?

I can see my .223 shots at 800 yards (16x scope) but the target is white.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thekubiaks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is what I do.

I have a laptop next to my shooting bench, I hook the receiver and patch antenna up to an RCA to USB interface to my laptop.

I put the transmitter and a small color CMOS camera (~10$ to 20$ on eBay) down at 1000 yards under the target about 6 feet in front of the target about 5 feet below the center of the target (you can also offset the camera up to about 45 degrees as long as it is within 10 - 15 feet of the bullseye)

I shoot a round, look over at the laptop, and see the bullet hit the paper at 1000 yards. I usually zero in on clay pigeons next to the target before I shoot around the camera so I dont accidentally hit it.

I think this setup will work at up to 2000 yards. </div></div>

Sounds sweet will have to try this one out !
laugh.gif

Kubiaks question for you mate.

How do you power the camera down the range? Battery setup or does your range have power outlets down near the targets?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kubiaks question for you mate.

How do you power the camera down the range? Battery setup or does your range have power outlets down near the targets? </div></div>

The little transmitter at the target needs 12V DC (So does the receiver sitting by your laptop). You can easily make a 12V battery pack with 8 AA batteries. See this for a crude example.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Battery-Holder-Box-C...=item4150e3cb2d

You'll have to find a barrel plug off of an old charger that matches the DC inputs on the TX/Rx otherwise ebay or Radio Shack

The whole system costs < $150 USD but if you think you might go more than 1000 yards, see next post

If you want a little higher power system,

search eBay for this:

<span style="font-weight: bold">wireless 12Ch 1000mw</span>

and then get this for your receiver sitting next to the laptop.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-4GHz-20dBi-RP-SMA-...=item35abd7d457

if the transmitter/receiver is 2.4ghz, then the patch or yagi antenna has to be 2.4 ghz, same goes if you buy the 1.2ghz version. Heads up, double check if you need a ARRL Technician license to operate in the frequency band. If so, the test is very easy... I think the youngest kid to pass it was 7.

http://www.arrl.org/getting-your-technician-license

http://www.herald-mail.com/?cmd=displaystory&story_id=223495&format=html

That should cover out to 3000 yards
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Racinready</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think it's IBS, don't know if they mark the hits or not. I went and watched there last match, didn't think about how the hell they could tell what they were hitting. lol </div></div>

Been there, do that at 1000 yards. You can't tell where you are hitting at 1000 yards. At 600 yards it is possible to see hits with excellent glass. Occasionally, at 1000 yards, the spotter may see a flicker or dark spot on the paper where 2 or 3 bullets might have been close together (premium spotting scopes or 42x Nightforce stuff) Once you are dialed in on the clay pigeons next to the target, you move to the paper. When you shoot for score, it is "shoot 10 shots and pray"...no immediate scoring, just wait for the scoring about 30 minutes later.

I talked to someone that shoots there, he said the mark your hits on the sighters. But, your on your own on the score targets. I can handle that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: myerfire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another option is this

[email protected]

to see your hits.
myerfire </div></div>

I just went to TargetTeck.com

At a minimum, it gave me some great ideas on how to make my setup more streamlined and compact. I like the way he configured his system. Thx

HAS ANYONE HAD EXPEREICEN WITH THE TARGET TECH SYSTEM. SEEMS AWESOME, WONDERING HOW IT PERFORMS OUT TO A MILE. I SHOOT A 6.5MM AND IT GETS TOUGH TO NOTICE IMPACTS AT THTA RANGE WITH THE BEST OF OPTICS.

Fantastic. I'm having to shoot long without a spotter and I've been looking for this setup. Do you have a screen capture of the hits?
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thekubiaks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is what I do.

I think this setup will work at up to 2000 yards. </div></div>

I really need this or my long range shooting career stops. I'm looking at ebay stuff but the best I see for range in a 1.2ghz is 80 meters. Am I missing something. I'm a tiny bit electronisc savy; you won't have to build it for me but I'd sure like to ask a question or two if I might.

Lookup Wavecom Jr. - They are the units you use to to transmit video from one end of the house to the other. They're on 2.4 and have a somewhat directional scalar antenna which can be easily upgraded. If you look on the PCB just upstream of where the antenna lead is soldered, you'll find the attenuating resistor that makes it comply with Part 15 IIRC it's 6 channels, two overlap the ham band so the mod would be legal if you're a ham. With a 22dB antenna we got 7 miles transmitting video(Topanga trailer park to Northridge fashion center in the San Fernando Valley)

I appreciate it. The more I research the more I find I don't have to spend the money on a wavecom system. I'm shooting way out in the Mohave Desert far from anybody who would care how I transmit. A simple 1500mw system will broadcast the 600-800 yards I ned it to easily.....I think. I'll post back with some stills if it works. A a week or two.

does anyone have a contact number for Targettech. I tried their main number and it doesn't seem to work. Their cell number left messages and no response. It looks like the unit I wanted but can't get ahold of them.

Thanks

People have been asking about my video setup, the pictures aren't great (iPhone 3GS) but I can improve them as requested.

Transmitter.jpg

Receiver.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thekubiaks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">People have been asking about my video setup, the pictures aren't great (iPhone 3GS) but I can improve them as requested.

Transmitter.jpg

Receiver.jpg

</div></div>

Nice work and thanks for sharing your information! I don't see where the Yagi Antenna connects on the receiver end. Could you clarify please. Thanks.

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brutus895</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Nice work and thanks for sharing your information! I don't see where the Yagi Antenna connects on the receiver end. Could you clarify please. Thanks.

Steve </div></div>

Go up a couple of pictures to my Receiver picture (the laptop connected to the Receiver via the EZ Grabber (RCA to USB))

Notice that the silver receiver has a "rubber ducky" antenna installed. This usually works out to 600 yards. When I switch to anything greater than 600 yards, I unscrew the rubber ducky antenna and hook up the yagi. Notice the velcro right above the Silver Receiver. The yagi sits on the velcro and balances on the top. It is tied into the Receiver SMA connector. I have also used an 8dbi Patch antenna out to 1000 yards. But, the yagi has worked to 2000 yards.

This is all you need.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=13444

You may have to make a 12V battery pack or get a cheap LiPo battery for the transmitter/camera side.

People are flying many miles with this transmitter, I have personally used it to 1500 yards (on the range) without issue. You may have to get a cheap patch antenna off of ebay to go further like this one... it works great!

http://cgi.ebay.com/High-gain-2-4GHz-14d...=item2a05607468

I've just ordered all the base hardware for this project but have made some alterations. I am using an old Canon mini cam with composite out and I'm using a Sony DVD player with composite in. With the anaolog zoom on the camcorder I can be 75 feet from the target and zoom to see every hole in paper on a posterboard sized target just as if I were standing 5 feet away. I see it in color and I hear the round hit in real time. The top of the 9 inch screen on the DVD player sits 2 inches below my scope plain so chucked up on a bench or prone in the desert I don't have to break cheak weld to witness first hand every hit. On paper its a bute anyway.

cool links... i had setup a WiFi webcam based approach which works fine to 600 yards. This looks like it could be quite a bit less expensive. I will get it just to compare video quality to my wifi webcam approach.

Anyone wanting to go with Targetteck. Use great caution as there have been several people here and on FCSA that have paid for the system and have not received the merchandise. For a while some were getting email with excuses as to why they have not taken delivery but so far none have received the product. I have no knowledge of the company other than reading pissed off customers complaints of sending money and not receiving anything after nearly one years time. If Targetteck delivers to the customers that I know, here and on the FCSA, I will delete this post.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thekubiaks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">People have been asking about my video setup, the pictures aren't great (iPhone 3GS) but I can improve them as requested.

Transmitter.jpg

Receiver.jpg

</div></div>
Great little system you got there thekubiaks. I am going to have to put one of those together. How is the resolution on the camera? How far away from the target does it need to be to get a good picture? Do you put any plate in front of it for protection?

Is there a supplier in the US for the 1 Watt transmitter/receiver components? Most these ebay link are shipping out of China or Hong Kong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone wanting to go with Targetteck. Use great caution as there have been several people here and on FCSA that have paid for the system and have not received the merchandise. For a while some were getting email with excuses as to why they have not taken delivery but so far none have received the product. I have no knowledge of the company other than reading pissed off customers complaints of sending money and not receiving anything after nearly one years time. If Targetteck delivers to the customers that I know, here and on the FCSA, I will delete this post. </div></div>

in my email dealings with them they are somewhat lame. They randomly answer part of your email and ignore other questions like how much would they sell something for. Probably a mom and pop shop that is in over their head.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thekubiaks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is all you need.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=13444

You may have to make a 12V battery pack or get a cheap LiPo battery for the transmitter/camera side.

People are flying many miles with this transmitter, I have personally used it to 1500 yards (on the range) without issue. You may have to get a cheap patch antenna off of ebay to go further like this one... it works great!

http://cgi.ebay.com/High-gain-2-4GHz-14d...=item2a05607468

</div></div>

I just purchased this set up from hobbhy king. Thanks for the info thekubiaks.

my buddy and me are building a system
i will post pictures when done
we will test it at 1000 yards

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Country DeVil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a lot of wireless video for my work and I found this kit works pretty well, and you get a camera to do something with. its a microwave transmitter so keep it away from your nuts if you want kids

http://www.asianwolf.com/wireless-cameras.html
</div></div>
I went with this seller, since the appear to be out of California. Ordered end of last week, UPS tracking number in my emails today. So far so good.

guys
how good of a camera do we need ?
it just seems that we would need better camera
so you can se clearly where you are hitting

and camera should be placed away from target
so do i need camera with zoom?

I went back and forth between asianwolf and hobby king for days.
I think a better camera with ZOOM would help a lot. the cameras in both these set ups are only 17 bucks or so I'll see how it goes when I get it all set up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AR10 sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went back and forth between asianwolf and hobby king for days.
I think a better camera with ZOOM would help a lot. the cameras in both these set ups are only 17 bucks or so I'll see how it goes when I get it all set up. </div></div>
I plan on using a 10 year old Sony Hi8 video camera on a tripod. Optical zoom, manual focus, keep it simple, and see how it works.

Have you shoot at 600 yet? Curious as to what you are using to spot your shots. Did you try any of the recommendations here? When will you update this post?

Have a great day. Look forward to your update.

Dam lots of good project info here

Ive shot out to 600 many times. I usually shoot at steel. I really want to shoot some groups on paper at 600 thats why im going with a camera set up. I cant wait till my stuff gets here. I wont be doing any field testing till the spring time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AR10 sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">45 days on the shipping from hong kong. Thats insane, I just hope it get here sometime.</div></div>

Mine showed up in just over a week.

I got my stuff from hobby king today, I also picked up a brand new 7" lcd screen off craigslist for 30 bucks. All I need now are 2 12 volt rechargeable batteries and a case to store everything. I think this whole system is doable for 250. I cant wait to get it out to the range.

How much power do you actually need? I see systems from 100mW to 3000mW (3 watts!) and beyond, with some people building systems on 1000mW transmitter/receivers and no special antenna and claiming great reception out to 1k, and some of the 3W systems claiming ranges of only 600-800yds... kind of confusing.

Benefits of 1.2 vs 2.4 vs. whatever frequency?

I've got a relatively nice and rarely used Canon FS10 digi-cam with good batteries sitting around, a spare camera tripod... looks like I'd need a second tripod (maybe), a couple of the 8-cell 12v battery packs, a small 7-10" portable LCD TV (battery powered models run $50-75, sometimes less), and a transmitter-receiver system in between.

How is the visibility of the video monitor in direct sunlight? I know my laptop screen view sucks out loud in bright sunlight; would some sort of shield/cover be needed?

Today I bought a 5 Amp hour battery and tested out the camera and transmitter. It ran both for 7 hrs. I probably ran it down too far though as it was down to 9 volts before recharging, hopefully it will be ok. The range is all in the antennas. Im currently looking for an old sony video camera with composite out jacks. the little 16 dollar cam is ok but it lacks ZOOM. The camera and transmitter are very small, smaller than I thought they would be anyway. A lot of guys use them on RC planes and cars. mines is the 1000mw and I havent tested it for range yet.