• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

600 Yard Wind Reading Clinic- SE Louisiana

RStewart

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2009
SE Louisiana
Lanny Russell will be holding a Wind Reading Clinic at Palo Alto on Saturday August 20th.
http://www.paloaltogunclub.com/directions.htm
This class will be more in-depth than the previous clinic and will last a big part of the day.
Registration will be from 8:00 to 8:30 AM.
Clinic will begin at 8:30 AM

Cost is $50

<span style="font-weight: bold">REQUIREMENTS:</span>
Students should bring fifty rounds of identical ammunition.
Spotting scopes are encouraged, binoculars will suffice but are a weaker substitute. Students may fire from any position (prone, shooting table, bi-pod, sand bags, etc.) A ground mat of some type will be helpful. Eye and ear protection are required. A clipboard will be useful. Bring water and snacks. There will be no lunch break.

Minimum equipment will be AR-15s with 18" or longer barrel shooting 75 grain bullets to suitable velocity. Bolt guns of medium capacity are preferred: .308, 6.5's, and the various 6mm's and 22 <span style="font-weight: bold">center fires</span>, etc. Minimum scope power of 10x with adjustable windage and elevation turrets. Does not have to be target knobs, but must be easily adjusted from position. Rifles should have a good zero! 600yds is preferred but a 100yd zero will suffice. Any rifle incapable of hitting the target in four shots will be pulled from the line. This is a required safety rule. The student may continue the class with a borrowed rifle or as an observer.

<span style="font-weight: bold">WIND SCHOOL AGENDA</span>

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">DISCUSSION</span></span>

<span style="font-style: italic">HARDWARE AND BALLISTICS</span> Discussion of appropriate rifles, calibers, ballistic coefficients/trajectories, and optics.

WIND Observing and selecting wind indicators, estimating velocity and direction, analyzing wind cycles and condition changes, selecting the dominant condition. Strategy for major direction changes and reverses.

<span style="font-style: italic">MIRAGE </span>What is it and does it help or hurt?

<span style="font-style: italic">SHOOTING METHODS </span>Discussion of strategies for a single shot at distance versus repetitious firing under match conditions.

<span style="font-style: italic">NO WIND ZERO</span> What is it and why is it important.

<span style="font-style: italic">LEARNING TO READ WIND</span> What is the trick?

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">SHOOTING SESSION ONE</span></span>
The class will divide into groups, half in the pits and half on the firing line. Everyone will fire a short string to establish zeroes.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">SHOOTING SESSION TWO </span></span>
The instructor will fire from 600yds explaining conditions as he sees them, firing both with and without wind corrections to demonstrate the effects of wind on the shot.
Firing will continue (hopefully thru changing conditions) to reinforce to students their perceived assessment of conditions and corrections.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">SHOOTING SESSION THREE</span></span>
Students will again divide into three groups; shooters, spotters and pits. The firing students will fire a twenty shot string without sighters while the spotter plots all shots.
Rotate positions until everyone has fired.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold"> DISCUSSION AND ANALYSIS</span></span>
The class will regroup and analyze results.

<span style="font-weight: bold"> <span style="text-decoration: underline">SHOOTING SESSION FOUR</span></span>
Students divide into two groups (shooting and pits) then select a firing partner (by similar caliber where possible). Shooter one will fire a fifteen shot string using the wind calls of his partner (preferably) or by the mutual decision of the pair. Shooter two (the wind coach) will plot shots. Rotate positions until both shooters have fired and coached. Rotate pits/firing position.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">DISCUSSION AND COMMENTS BY STUDENTS</span></span>

If you plan to attend, please email xmeister at [email protected] or me at [email protected]

Please include the following:
Name
Caliber of Rifle
Bullet Weight
Barrel Length

Re: 600 Yard Wind Reading Clinic- SE Louisiana

I live in BRLA, I was thinking of joining this gun club. Will you guys have events like this often? Sounds like a great clinic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LSUbeatUby40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I live in BRLA, I was thinking of joining this gun club. Will you guys have events like this often? Sounds like a great clinic. </div></div>

We put on introduction to 600 Yard Shooting and Wind Reading Clinics a couple of times a year.

We also have regular F-TR/F-Open/Mid-Range Prone 600 yard matches, Across the Course matches and Field Precision Rifle matches every month.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RStewart</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LSUbeatUby40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I live in BRLA, I was thinking of joining this gun club. Will you guys have events like this often? Sounds like a great clinic. </div></div>

We put on introduction to 600 Yard Shooting and Wind Reading Clinics a couple of times a year.

We also have regular F-TR/F-Open/Mid-Range Prone 600 yard matches, Across the Course matches and Field Precision Rifle matches every month.

</div></div>

Nice I will definitely look into joining. Just plain tired of shooting at 100 yards or less..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LSUbeatUby40</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RStewart</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LSUbeatUby40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I live in BRLA, I was thinking of joining this gun club. Will you guys have events like this often? Sounds like a great clinic. </div></div>

</div></div>

Nice I will definitely look into joining. Just plain tired of shooting at 100 yards or less.. </div></div>

The 600 yard range has shooting points at 200, 300, 400 and 500 yards also. I am currently heading up the prospect of putting in a dedicated 200 yard range. this will allow folks to shoot at 100 or 200 yards without having to deal with the pit target frames.

I wish I was closer to you guys!

This clinic is open to members and also <span style="text-decoration: underline">non-members</span> of Palo Alto.

This wind reading clinic was well worth the trip. Rick, I appreciate you setting this up. It was a great turn out. Palo Alto is a fine facility, good folks.