• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 600 yds with SavageF/TR

el gordo2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
San Antonio, Tejas
Traded a scope for a Savage F/TR 308 last Saturday with a Hide member. The weather kinda sucked Sunday but I quickly worked up a load and took it out to 600 yards. Not an impressive group but considering the time and conditions it will do for that day.

I took this video and compressed 4 minutes into two. Sorry about the quality, the camera kept trying to auto focus as I videoed through a spotter. The bullet trace shows up well, specially when I was able to go frame by frame.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RVL0lbes7d0"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RVL0lbes7d0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: 600 yds with SavageF/TR

That is pretty awesome. I'm a savage fan and a pretty nice video considering the crappy conditions.

Savage has been making some pretty impressive rifles for F Class. Enjoy.

This was the first attempt of loading for it. I tried a few 155smk loads with Varget doing 2900-2950 but the results were only so so. Did not have any 175gr of anything to try. I believe the barrel is a 1:12. Planning on maybe introducing myself to F class someday. The Deitz range in New Braunfrels has some matches once a month. Any opinion on what bullet /weight to use. It's only 550yds there so would there be much of a difference between the 155,168,175's?

I like the Amax 168 for F-TR out to 600 yards. It seems to like 1 in 12 to 1 in 10. Good velocity, good BC, good luck at the match.

In case you didnt know were shooting the State f/open and F/TR state championship in Austin in Febuary this year. You ought to come on up and give it a try. There is allways several Savage rifles there.

Just checked the twist on this particular rifle. Did Savage change the rate, this one is 1:10 and the website states they are 1:12. Maybe this is an early version?? With that said, it should handle the heavier weights a bit better, no?