• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

60gr aguila sss

joelsa58

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2009
ft. bragg, nc
Will the Ruger 10/22 cycle 22lr 60gr aguila sss
Or will I have to feed load each round?
Just kicking around an idea!
I like the 10/22, however I already own a bolt action.
I have no experience with this ammo.
Just wondering what the outcome would be with an auto?

Re: 60gr aguila sss

It usually runs in my guns.
The bigger problem is that the 16" twist in standard barrels orten will not stabilize that long 60gr bullet, so mediocre or worse accuracy can result.
Some have found the offered 1:9 barrels work better.
YMMV

I have shot some out of mine, accuracy was good, however it turned into a single shot.

They will shoot and cycle the action. You can grind the bolt to cycle that action better, but you will limit the function of your 10-22 to shoot only subsonic ammo. However, as said above, the twist is too slow, and they will tumble after about 30-40 yards. I use a 22cal conversion in a M4 and the 1/9 twist works very well for the 60g bullet. It is a cheap conversion that functions flawlessly

It does cycle the action on my 10/22. To improve the accuracy, I purchased the 1:9 threaded barrels from Tactical Innovations. They now sell stainless barrels specifically designed to stabilize the SSS.

It is also the effin dirtiest 22 ammo period. Set up a 10/22 with a 1:9 barrel for suppressor usage...absolutly no gain in my book...

If you had the 1 in 9 twist barrel, I'm guessing you would be better off with a bolt action rifle over the semi-auto?

Was kind of hopeful that accuracy could have been obtained out to 50 yards from the 1 in 16 twist barrel, but it doesn't sound like that is going to happen.

Good input folks!
smile.gif