• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Optics 627guy appears to be a scammer. Deal with caution.

mpeason

Private
Minuteman
  • Feb 15, 2017
    Already been reported, posting in case someone is in the middle of communicating with him.

PM'd me based on my WTB ad. The price was almost too goo to be true. When I asked for DL verification, he sent me the exact same image he had already sent me except with what appears to be a photoshopped drivers license of someone named Lexi.

Absolutely, Ive seen some great photo shops with post it notes showing their screen name and date, too. Don’t believe a picture unless a long standing member.
    see on another board where a guy done the same thing but had been a member for 5-6 months with little to no content. His photoshop skills were on point!

Reactions: RC556 and mpeason
    If you are unsure about it being photoshopped, Use the website FotoForensics, it will analyze and look for tampering within the photo. You can also reverse image search using this app to see if the pictures appear anywhere else online.

Attachments

• D0D1B182-F883-41C1-ACA7-526FDDB53497.jpeg
      D0D1B182-F883-41C1-ACA7-526FDDB53497.jpeg
      443.3 KB · Views: 234
    • 7386228B-62C2-4330-A4A8-765471EF6C59.png
      7386228B-62C2-4330-A4A8-765471EF6C59.png
      242.6 KB · Views: 239
    Just tried fotoforensics. I posted a wtb add for an xlr chassis. And tex573 messaged me. What do yall think?

27733DB4-BFAF-4804-BE25-14543799F582.png

I can see that is fake without any tools. Lighting & shadows are incorrect, color of paper has a cold blue color balance while the rest is neutral warm. Scale of text thickness using a ballpoint pen is incorrect. That should be razor thin writing if the paper is that big.

Reactions: 6.5SH
    I can see that is fake without any tools. Lighting & shadows are incorrect, color of paper has a cold blue color balance while the rest is neutral warm. Scale of text thickness using a ballpoint pen is incorrect. That should be razor thin writing if the paper is that big.

yeah it was pretty obvious from the begining. asked the guy to video chat with me so i could see the chassis. said he had a crappy phone, couldnt do it.

There’s a thread about tex573 right now

Answered a WTB add with pics from an old ad on a different forum

I would avoid him

Reactions: RC556
    I've stopped running WTB ads on here unfortunately for this reason. Caveat Emptor.

If you are unsure about it being photoshopped, Use the website FotoForensics, it will analyze and look for tampering within the photo. You can also reverse image search using this app to see if the pictures appear anywhere else online.
    No idea how this works. Care to tell an old fart what I'm looking at? :cool:

I've been having fun with the wanted to buy responses. I'll make them jump though hoops, have them tell me their address, which I am sure is fake. When they give me an address, I tell them that my friend lives in the next town over and can be there to pickup the item in one hour. They usually disappear after that.

I've been having fun with the wanted to buy responses. I'll make them jump though hoops, have them tell me their address, which I am sure is fake. When they give me an address, I tell them that my friend lives in the next town over and can be there to pickup the item in one hour. They usually disappear after that.
    Must have a lot of friends

you can drop images into google too....to search for them (or similar image colors/shapes). Thanks for the fotoforensics tip.
    typically they get the pictures from the most recent sale of the same item on reddit.com/r/GunAccessoriesForSale/

Yeah i just got fucked on a wtb krg xray. Dude looked legit. Sent pics of chassis with his user name and date, did not look photo shopped at all. Talked a good game, described all the accessories in the photo. Took my money and fn disappeared.

Yea, I'm even having a hard time trusting feedback scores now, all of these scams are getting more and more common and better at covering their tracks each time.

No idea how this works. Care to tell an old fart what I'm looking at? :cool:
    The different colors on the outlines indicate different lighting sources between the chassis and the note.

ETA:
    Analyzed image taken from another post, you can see the edges of all the items have similar outlines and different brightness depending if in shadow or light. The various text is different, but so is the ink/paint between the mount, box and note. As near as I can tell the picture is legitimate.

861c7ffd99bea210fa4708c9a880677d35e04053.670752-ela-600.png

ETA2:
    Each tab has info on what to look for, the one with the books is likely the most relevant:

Last edited:
    I think a lot of what's happening, people hack an older account that's of recently active, quickly change the email. They then hack a zelle or already have access to one, and route the funds to themselves through hacked zelle.

The different colors on the outlines indicate different lighting sources between the chassis and the note.

ETA:
    Analyzed image taken from another post, you can see the edges of all the items have similar outlines and different brightness depending if in shadow or light. The various text is different, but so is the ink/paint between the mount, box and note. As near as I can tell the picture is legitimate.

View attachment 7926746

ETA2:
    Each tab has info on what to look for, the one with the books is likely the most relevant:
    Thanks!! :cool: