• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

64 MPR mag release extension - PITA Good Way

Hellbender

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2008
Lebanon, Missouri
Part 2 in the series.

The "Cheap No-Drill" way works well; I used it for a while, scratched my gun up another time or 2 and said OK, I guess I can drill a hole in it now, I'm gonna keep it.

Get your parts.
1. An 8-32 x 3/8" long socket head cap screw (longer can be cut to length)
2. An 8-32 nut.
3. Red locktite
4. If you REALLY want to do it right, get an 8-32 tap (must be HSS, carbon is too soft) and #29 drill, but this is not necessary, this will be noted as OPTIONAL STEP.

DSC03300.jpg

Remove your action from the stock.

Clamp the bbl in a padded vise with the mag release up.

Cover up everything but the release, I just cut a small hole in a big rag and laid it over everything.

The mag release is HARD, a center punch will not mark it, and normal drill bits will not drill it. Dremel time......I had some cheap Harbor Freight diamond coated grinding bits I used but any type of small, pointy stone will work 1/8" or smaller diameter.

Look at the pics and grind a small hole in the button towards the rear, keep it centered. Grind hole big enough for tight clearance on 8-32 bolt.

OPTIONAL STEP....Grind hole slightly undersize for #29 drill, clamp in drill press and drill to size, then tap with 8-32 HSS tap.
DSC03299.jpg

Grind the sides of the 8-32 nut down until it will slide tightly into the release button.

Assemble everything together and check for clearance everywhere, grind as needed, I had tons of room everywhere. Make sure all your mags work.
DSC03301.jpg

Disassemble, Clean everything well with brake cleaner, Locktite everything and tighten it all down.

Assemble rifle and pat yourself on the back!
DSC03302.jpg

Brad