• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

65 gr VMAX in 6 GT

El Viejo

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2022
WY
I have a prairie dog hunt scheduled for the end of July in WY and plan to take a .223 AI bolt gun, 6 ARC gas gun, and a new bolt gun in 6 GT. I expect typical ranges will be between 200 and 600 yds. Rather than do barrel break-in time with match bullets, I plan to use 65 gr VMAX on p-dogs. I would appreciate any suggestions regarding powders, primers, and seating depth. There isn't much load data for the 6 GT and none that I could find for a 65 gr pill.

With the light pills I've had best luck with varget and imr4166. I was running 38gr of varget under 62gr varmit grenades and 37.5 under 70gr noslers. Keep in mind though Im running them out of a ar15 not a large frame or bolt gun with a 1:9 twist. I've never ran the light bullets in my bolt gun gt

Reactions: Evlshnngns
With the light pills I've had best luck with varget and imr4166. I was running 38gr of varget under 62gr varmit grenades and 37.5 under 70gr noslers. Keep in mind though Im running them out of a ar15 not a large frame or bolt gun with a 1:9 twist. I've never ran the light bullets in my bolt gun gt
Sounds like you have a 6 GT barrel on your AR-10. I started with a bolt gun to use in a local matches but plan to add a 6 GT upper. Where did you get your barrel? What kind of accuracy at 100 yards?

My supply of Varget is running lower than I would like. Other than IMR 4166, did you find any other powders that worked well?

Sounds like you have a 6 GT barrel on your AR-10. I started with a bolt gun to use in a local matches but plan to add a 6 GT upper. Where did you get your barrel? What kind of accuracy at 100 yards?

My supply of Varget is running lower than I would like. Other than IMR 4166, did you find any other powders that worked well?
No my gt barrel is on an ar15 not a 10. It was a specialized run made specifically for predator hunting done by Scott at specialized dynamics. I can only run up to 75gr bullets due to the mag restrictions. It uses a 458 socom bolt to get the 308 bolt face in the small frame.
As far as powder xbr8208, cfe223, and 6.5 staball all worked as well.

I shoot the 87 GR Vmax and 8208 has been the best powder for me. 20" barrel and 1:8 twist. This is out of a 6MM AR/Grendel.

Hope this helps.

do a load work up with varget. max dasher would be my starting load.

i'm sure someone has done similar loading with 6xc.. starting load would be my max.

I shoot the 87 GR Vmax and 8208 has been the best powder for me. 20" barrel and 1:8 twist. This is out of a 6MM AR/Grendel.

Hope this helps.
That may be the best use for a bunch of 8208. Far more than I can use. Given the lighter pill and bigger case capacity for the 6 GT, can you point me to a safe starting load?

That may be the best use for a bunch of 8208. Far more than I can use. Given the lighter pill and bigger case capacity for the 6 GT, can you point me to a safe starting load?
My best accuracy is at 28.8 GR.....I did load up to 29.1 and group size doubled.....When I bought the rifle and spoke to Mr. Whitley he told me that 28.5 to 28.8 was going to be the sweet spot. You may want to check out the web site. http://www.6mmar.com/ or email or call

[email protected] - 215-348-8789​

It seems their website is having issues....they really helped me out. And, I did not get the rifle from them,