• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 6500 tactical vs Vortex PST vs Sightron SIII

QRE23

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2008
Wa.
How do you all think the 6500 Tactical compares to the Vortex PST?

Re: 6500 tactical vs Vortex PST

Those with the authority to do so have proclaimed the PST non-existent. (I'm not sure I would like to hear the philosophical basis for this.)
So that would make this comparison between an existent scope and a non-existent scope which would favor the Bushnell.
Pretty simple.

That does bring up a question though, if I hit a distant target and the scope that I used does not exist, does that mean I have attained a whole new as yet unheard of level of marksmanship?
Wow! Pretty cool!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
That does bring up a question though, if I hit a distant target and the scope that I used does not exist, does that mean I have attained a whole new as yet unheard of level of marksmanship?
Wow! Pretty cool! </div></div>

lol, only if no one heard the shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those with the authority to do so have proclaimed the PST non-existent. (I'm not sure I would like to hear the philosophical basis for this.)
So that would make this comparison between an existent scope and a non-existent scope which would favor the Bushnell.
Pretty simple.

Wow! Pretty cool! </div></div>

lol I feel ya

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: samson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you all think the 6500 Tactical compares to the Vortex PST? </div></div>

I had a 2.5-16 6500 and my father has a 4.5-30(?) 6500 tactical and in my opinion both scopes are worthless - particularly the 4.5-30. On both, the eye relief is outrageously long on higher power and on the 4.5-30, it is basically unusable above about 16x. The eye box is so small at top power that it can literally take 5-10 seconds to find the tiny spot where you can see through the scope. Couple that with the fact that your cheek basically needs to be at the back of the stock just to get the eye relief right and you have a scope that isn't good for much - especially for $800...

The 4200's are good scopes for the money and if I were looking at Bushnell's I'd look no further than that. Sounds like the new FFP offering is pretty solid also, but I have no experience.

I am also one of the chosen few to get a PST from the first run. My initial impressions are excellent. The only problem is the somewhat mushy turrets, but Vortex has acknowledged that and is changing them for the next batch. They've also agreed to replace the early scopes like mine once the final version is out. Other than that, I don't know what more you could ask for out of a scope in that price range. Time will tell if they hold up to years of use, but it seems like Vortex is ready to stand behind the product. Of course, if you need a scope right away, they really aren't an option at this point.

Good luck,
Erik

I have used a Bushnell and they are nice for the price. The Bushnell has nice glass, the turrets are ok, the Side parallax focus really close, the 30mm tube is solid, and the FFP mill dot is not to thick.

The glass on the PST is on par with the Bushnell, the turret are nice and will be nicer, there is more elevation in the PST, the parallax did not focus as close as the Bushnell but close enough, it also has a nice solid 30mm tube, and the reticles are very nice. Over all I would take a Vortex PST but at this time you cannot get them.

If we can be of help in getting you a scope feel free to ask for some help.

Mike @ CST

I have the 6500 and a PST on order. If the 2.5-16 came in ILL. I would have bought it. The power range is perfect for my huting rifles inside the timber or out in the fields. (warranty played a big factor in me ordering the PST) I hope I am not dissapointed in relation to how long I had to wait...

Well, here is the other part of my story. I already have a brand new 6500 4.5-30 Tactical w/mildot Ret. I was only asking about the two because I was thinking about selling my 6500 and buying a PST. After reading some of the replys, even if I could get a PST, I very well may stay with the 6500 I already have. I have a Viper, that for the money, is pretty damn good but I have only heard and read the hype on the new PST. I've never looked thru one. I think you could have very well saved me some money.

What are your thoughts on how the Sightron SIII compares to these other two?????

" the parallax did not focus as close as the Bushnell but close enough, it also has a nice solid 30mm tube, and the reticles are very nice." QUOTE

Sorry, but I have to strongly disagree. My 6-24x50mm PST FFP MOA scope is the easiest side focus to adjust the parallax I have ever used. My 400 yard target should prove that you can adjust it perfectly. When I adjust it it is dead nuts perfect. You can not shoot a 1 3/4" group at 400 yds if the parallax is not perfect.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=564977

joseph