• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 69 gr. SMK vs. 77 gr. SMK

Josh-L

Private
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2005
Red Dirt, OK USA
Which would preform better at 600 yards? Going off of the Black Hills catalog it says the 69 grain SMK is 100 fps faster. This got me wondering which one would fight the wind better. I assumed the 77 since the BC is higher but when I saw the 69 was faster I wasn't sure. Anyone have any first hand knowledge on this? It will be fired from a Rem 700 with a 22 inch 1/8 twist barrel.

Re: 69 gr. SMK vs. 77 gr. SMK

Sorry to hijack, but if you're not committed to either yet I'd take a hard look at the 75 AMAX.
It shoots great in my 20" 223AI.

I have had good success with the 77g SMK out of my CR6724 out to 700. Hitting a Prairie Dog at 400 yards is pretty easy. If your barrel will stabilize the 77 then go that route.

With a 1-8 I would look at the 75 amax and 75-80g berger vld's first.

If you don’t want to use those there is always the 70 vld from berger with the BC of the 77smk but will run the speeds of the 69g, beating both at distance.

I shoot the 77-gr SMK (Black Hills red box) out of my Rem 5R (1x9) with outstanding results. Best group has been 0.33" at 100-yards so far. Also very consistant shooting steel plate out to 750-yards.

This weekend I shot a 5-round group of the 77-gr SMK and a 5-round group of the 69-gr SMK (Both Black Hills red box) at 300-meters. The 77-gr resulted in a 3" group, and the 69-gr resulted in a 3.5" group. No wind, but the heat waves/mirage was making things a bit of a blur.

My 1-8 bartlein barreled GAP AR upper didn't like the 77's but it shoots the 69's GREAT out to 600. Thats as far as I've shot it.

Hope this helps.

Trilogymac

Go with what your rifle likes, mine wont shoot the 77s worth a crapp, loves the 69s. My buddies AR loves the 77s. We run neck to neck on hit ratios out past 700. People can armchair ballistics all day long....when your that close it doesnt matter. Its what you learn to shoot and know your rifle. Ever heard the old saying ...beware of the man that owns only one rifle and knows how to use it.....