• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

69gr HPBT SMK & RL15

cj1026

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2008
Repulik of Commieforniastan
Guys I have been experimenting with some 69gr rounds and RL15. I'm shooting a 16", 1-7 twist, 5.56 chamber, free float AR. I've loaded 23, 23.5, 24, and 24.5g into Federal brass, sized and trimmed with CCI 400 primers. 24 grains got me 2552 fps with about 1" groups. 24.5 got me 2629 fps with about a 5/8" group. All shot a 100 yards 77 deg. no wind and no pressure signs.
My question is do you think it is safe to go any higher on my load? I would like to get 2700-2750 fps and still have good groups. Any thoughts?

Re: 69gr HPBT SMK & RL15

you should be able to push that load a bit more. would use better brass, though. federal .223 brass are notoriusly poor as it is soft and the brass is heavy. try LC or win. even federal factory .223 loads are suspect: I was squadded next to a guy last week at Camp Perry during the NTI match and he was shooting factory federal gold medal 69's through a stock Rock River NM AR15. I think he had at least three alibi's or stoppages due to primers falling out and locking up the trigger group in the first 30 rounds of fire.

Re: 69gr HPBT SMK & RL15

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7x57</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you should be able to push that load a bit more. would use better brass, though. federal .223 brass are notoriusly poor as it is soft and the brass is heavy. try LC or win. even federal factory .223 loads are suspect: I was squadded next to a guy last week at Camp Perry during the NTI match and he was shooting factory federal gold medal 69's through a stock Rock River NM AR15. I think he had at least three alibi's or stoppages due to primers falling out and locking up the trigger group in the first 30 rounds of fire. </div></div>

Yeah I keep hearing that Federal brass is crap. I haven't had any problems yet. But I will try and get my hands on some LC or Win.

I did try out some more loads today. 25.3g of RL15 with the 69's got me an avg of 2749 fps with slite pressure signs. Shot 1/2" 5 shot groups at 100 yards.