• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

69gr Sierra MatchKing

260aics

Private
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2010
North America
I am reloading for a Remington 700 in .223Rem caliber. I had a smith put on a 1 in 8 twist barrel to shoot the heavier bullets. When I measure the distance to the lands in the chamber I get 1.772 off the ogive of the 69gr Sierra Matchking. The max case length for the .223 is 1.760 by the Speer Manual. According to those numbers I can only seat the bullet .012 back from the lands. Do these numbers seem right to anybody? Can I switch to maybe a 75gr A-Max and the ogive set closer the the tip? Is this a gunsmith error or reloader error? Any help would be great.

Re: 69gr Sierra MatchKing

No error, most rifle load lengths are dictated by the room in the mag, measure your max OAL in the mag and see how long you can load them. If your mag wont accept anything longer than 1.760, that is your limitation. Remember, many bullets dont require being seated into or right on the lands to perform.

I'd try .002 off the lands and start seating thm in from there looking for the "sweet spot"

Kirk R

Dunno if this helps since you don't have an OAL but I load mine with 26.0 Varget at 2.342 OAL to the lands in my Savage 12 LRVP. I measured using the Hornady OAL guage. My 75 A-max is 2.396 OAL to the lands. That would be pretty close to 0.054 more OAL to the lands for the A-max.

Hornady guage is really useful.

A loaded round with the 69gr SMK that would be touching the lands in the rifle is 2.281 max OAL. The shortest that I can load that round would be 2.269, after that the ogive of the bullet will be inside of the case mouth. I feel like the reamer needs to be run deeper into the gun, but not certain. The rifle has a hinged floorplate so the mag length is not a issue for now. I would like to put a AICS on the gun. I dont know that mag length.

Might be a real good idea to have it reamed out. Especially if you wanna run anything heavier than 69 and take advantage of the twist. With the A-max's the bullet will be seated deeper than the neck. Might make for some inconsistencies. I wish I could seat the a-max's out to 2.490" in mine. I might even look at that. That might be what is keeping me from one holing the a-max's.