• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6ARC or 6GT

Overlord66

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2019
Looking a building a new PRS gun and I can't decide between 6ARC or 6GT. I already have a 6ARC gass gun that performs well out to 600yds so I'm all set to load for it but brass availability for ARC is making GT seem like a good option.

I don't see many comparisons between these cartridges so I'm interested in real world examples or why you went the way you did.

Last edited:
ARC in a bolt gun makes no sense to me. Run a BR or GT, Dasher, Comet, BRX, BRA, Dancer, Prancer 6Creed etc… for a step up in performance. ARC only makes sense in the world of optimizing a small frame platform.

For PRS bolt gun I went 6GT. No Ragrets! N555, H4350, or Varget.

I have a 6 ARC gasser, but all the best piwder options are temp sensitive. Why deal with that in a bolt gun!

Looking at some of the load data I'm seeing 108ELDM in ARC pushed to 2700 with .5-.25 MOA using Varget or N540. What advantage does GT have at these speeds pushing the same projectile?

There’s not many comparisons out there because the cases intended purposes are different

Although there are some guys running the 6ARC on a bolt comp gun i cant see it being anything more than a fun project because they can.

The 6GT case will outperform the 6ARC on a bolt comp gun all other things being equal.

If you have medium burn powders on hand like 4350, 4831, Staball or Varget get the 6GT and dont over think it

Reactions: KadenB77
Looking at some of the load data I'm seeing 108ELDM in ARC pushed to 2700 with .5-.25 MOA using Varget or N540. What advantage does GT have at these speeds pushing the same projectile?
Hornady bullets are garbage, just go ahead and skip that shit now and you're life will be easier.

The GT will actually feed from an unmoletested magazine, thats what it will do.

I’m running Lever to get 2700 from 108/109 in a 22” AR in 6ARC.
Have to reform Lapua 6.5G brass since Hornady hasn’t supported the ARC worth shit, brass wise. For ref the factory Hornady 108 runs 2650 in this barrel.

At that speed running a GT has no advantage aside from magazines.

In GT I run 109LRHT at 2930 with 38.6 N555 from a 26” & it feeds flawlessly from ARC mags with and without Area 419 extension.
Thats not a hot load in my gun, brass is in happy zone. I never found pressure signs, just stopped there cause it shoots lights out. GT is super easy to find a load for. I probably have 20 rounds total load development for 105 & 109 combined. Shot 5 or 6 matches since.

GT also has enough HP to run 115RDF, Dtacs, Or Bergers without killing brass. Factory Prime 115’s run 2850 with low sd at right around 1/2moa. I’ve shot 2 matches with the factory Prime offering.

My 6GT shoots 107smk;s at 3010 over 36.4 h4350. A lot more energy on target, much easier to see your hits.

Looking a building a new PRS gun and I can't decide between 6ARC or 6GT. I already have a 6ARC gass gun that performs well out to 600yds so I'm all set to load for it but brass availability for ARC is making GT seem like a good option.

I don't see many comparisons between these cartridges so I'm interested in real world examples or why you went the way you did.

I've been shooting bolt gun ARC for a couple years now. My friend has been shooting 6mm GT for almost as long.

Pick one and roll with it. They both work great for PRS.

The ARC with a 26-28" barrel will get 2850-2930fps with temp sensitive ball powders (track/plot temp vs. velocity once or twice and it's really not that big a deal), and 2730-2775 with Varget. 105-110gr match bullets at 2.350" COAL. MDT is making ARC-specific magazines now and they feed flawlessly IME. Lots of options now for bolt heads and most action makers will do a PPC/Grendel/ARC bolt or head if you ask. Opinion: Load 27.5-28gr of Varget, take a 26 or 28" barrel and roll with it. I haven't had a barrel yet (6 or 7 now) that doesn't shoot Varget well. I'm sold on it for the long haul. I've shot out 2 barrels and have 5 of them now that are broken in and waiting in line. You get 4000-5000 rounds worth of match accuracy on a barrel. They don't get hot, either. 20 round strings don't make me feel guilty to the barrel.

The GT is probably easier because it uses standard magazines. Works well with Varget, H4350, and RL-16 but burns a few grains more. Barrel life is not as good as the ARC, probably more like 2500-3000, but not bad at all. Otherwise the velocity boost, in my honest opinion, comes at the cost of recoil and I tend to think the sweet spot is 2650-2800fps. Obviously you can hit that with either cartridge easily, and down-loading the GT will increase its barrel life. From what I've seen that 2700-2800fps range is the best for the 6mm's to stay supersonic to 1200 in most cases, as well as go slow enough to watch all impacts. YMMV here and it'll come down to personal preference. Like I said before, they both work.

Since GT is now being supported with factory available ammunition and Hornady brass its a great option. A lot of shooters are going to this rather than the dasher.
  • 308 case head
  • +1 gun mph over the 6 arc
  • Handles 109 , 110 and 115s easily
  • feeds well.

If you were on the fence about 'really' getting in to PRS and wanted to try a few matches, have a great P-dog gun, and really light recoil (women and kids for recoil sake), then go to the 6ARC. It will still run really well for PRS. If you are hand loading and can load 105s at 2750 to 2790 (I have seen this done easily in a 24" bolt gun) you will be in a really good spot and this will not handicap you one bit.
  • Weird case head
  • needs BR style mag or MDT has a 6arc specific mag.
  • brass and factory rounds can be hard to find right now
  • but... ya got all the stuff to reload
  • Plus, no one else will try to steel your brass!

Both of these will be great options and not hold you back. Pick the one you will be more confident in and run it. Trusting your reloads and gear is more important than any ballistic advantage.

If you want to be super commentative at PRS, I'd pick the GT. If you want to have fun and shoot matches, pick the ARC.

Reactions: JR1