• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6br barrel length velocity

Dildobaggins

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jun 26, 2020
    Posted this on another forum and didn’t get a ton of feed back.

Looking to do a straight 6br with a 24 in barrel. Anyone have a 24 inch?

Wondering what kind of velocities you’re getting with the Berger 90, 105 and 108BT or the like?

I know there are a lot of variables, but just looking for a ballpark.

Side note. I should probably get quick load.

Thanks fellas

I get 2780 with a mild load and 108g bergers with a 28". I bet you can probably get 2750 with 105s

I didn't think there would be that much of a diff between a straight 6br and 6bra but that seems really slow. I run a mild load with 105s from my 28," bra and easily hit 3k np.

Reactions: Dildobaggins
    I didn't think there would be that much of a diff between a straight 6br and 6bra but that seems really slow. I run a mild load with 105s from my 28," bra and easily hit 3k np.
    I went quit a bit higher during load dev bit the consistency was in that 2750-2790 range for me. I also didn't want any clickers if i got stuck in the rain

My 6br rifles are slow. I’m getting 2,600-2,700 fps depending on bullet and barrel length. I get pressure signs if I go for top speeds. I get pierced primers in the AI. The primer jams up the firing pin.

2820 with a 105 is pretty easy to attain in a 22" barrel.
    I also shoot a 26" and it's like 5-10 fps faster. Two different brands of barrels.

I don't feel any handicap shooting the shorter barrel.
    With that said, I don't shoot matches and most of my shooting is prone or from a bench, so balance just in front of the mag well isn't important.

I've recently gone to shooting 112s at 2750- ish, and honestly, the only way I'll go back to the 105s will be because I'm running out of the 112s.

I shot some last week running 2669 and they still kick ass on the 105 class bullet. This is for 800 yards and longer.
    For 600 and under, I don't see a reason to go heavier than 105.

Brass life is really long. I have over 20 firings on one box. The other box has 18.

With another 6-BR, I have exactly 50 firings on 47 cases and they are still going strong. 47? Yeah, I sent three to the gunsmith and never got them back? It kills my OCD.

No, I don't anneal.

2820 with a 105 is pretty easy to attain in a 22" barrel.
    I also shoot a 26" and it's like 5-10 fps faster. Two different brands of barrels.

I don't feel any handicap shooting the shorter barrel.
    With that said, I don't shoot matches and most of my shooting is prone or from a bench, so balance just in front of the mag well isn't important.

I've recently gone to shooting 112s at 2750- ish, and honestly, the only way I'll go back to the 105s will be because I'm running out of the 112s.

I shot some last week running 2669 and they still kick ass on the 105 class bullet. This is for 800 yards and longer.
    For 600 and under, I don't see a reason to go heavier than 105.

Brass life is really long. I have over 20 firings on one box. The other box has 18.

With another 6-BR, I have exactly 50 firings on 47 cases and they are still going strong. 47? Yeah, I sent three to the gunsmith and never got them back? It kills my OCD.

No, I don't anneal.
    Lot of good information brother. Thank you. I have a box of 90bt 105bt and 108bt. When I get my barrel I’ll try those 3 and see which ones shoot best.

26" Win Tactical bartlien getting 2776 with 30gr Varget and 109gr EldM

Hasn't sped up yet. So will recheck at a couple hundred rounds.

I have a straight 6BR at 24" chambered by TS Customs on a Bartlein blank and getting 2,770 FPS with 29.6 grains Varget but it should speed up a little more

I have a straight 6BR at 24" chambered by TS Customs on a Bartlein blank and getting 2,770 FPS with 29.6 grains Varget but it should speed up a little more

I'd say that's very close to where you should be with that load and barrel length assuming it's a 105/107gr bullet

I have had 15-20 6BR barrels and many of them Bartleins..

My current 28" Bartlein 6BR 1:7.5 with 30gr Varget gets me 2878 with 105 Hybrids

I was doing 2790 with a 24" BR when I had one that short. 30gr Varget 105gr bullet. On the top end of pressure.