• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6BR Howa

gregt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2010
Australia
I got my latest Howa just about finished this weekend. I rebarreled my 223 to 6BR with a 22.5" 1/8 twist barrel. I had to machine the bolt face to suit but it's come up really well. Scope is a Vortex Viper PST 4-16 FFP, currently an EGW base and not sure on the rings, I just wanted to fit something so I could have a decent look through the scope. I have a Warne 20 MOA base and a set of Badger rings to go on it this week.

I still need to make the cheekpiece and fit the bipod spigot mount in the front of the stock but hopefully I'll have it up and shooting this week.

DSCF0147.jpg

DSCF0145.jpg

Re: 6BR Howa

I have been considering a Howa either in 308 or for a 7-08 build. Did you do your own work?

Thanks,
Gary

Hey Gary, I did it myself except for the barrel chambering. I picked up the barrel already done and just checked the headspace when I put it on, that was fine so I did the rest. Machining the bolt face was a bit fiddly but came out really well.

One of these days I'm going to get myself a licence so I can do my own barrel work etc..

Nice rifle!

Forgive the ignorance...
Sure looks like a AICS chassis, but they don't make them for Howa actions (??)

Inquiring minds want to know!

Interested to hear how the Howa feeds the 6br. I had a build planned for that same combo but ended up going another direction. Love the 6br, the the Howa is an excellent action to start with.

I was wanting to do an internal magazine 6br Howa, but the availability of spare parts made the modification a bit less desireable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice rifle!

Forgive the ignorance...
Sure looks like a AICS chassis, but they don't make them for Howa actions (??)

Inquiring minds want to know! </div></div> there is a thread on it, I believe the people who have done it ended up modifying the chassis to make it work.

Wannashootit, there is a thread somewhere with some photos, I made the chassis to suit the Howa in the AICS skins. One photo below, there are some others in the other thread I'm sure.

IMG_0947.jpg

Darren and Buffybuster, I've got it feeding not too badly from a modified AI 223 plastic mag, occasionally it'll kick the first round up though. I'm going to play some more with the feed lips to try and get the rounds to come out more smoothly.

I've also got an Alpha mag that's looking promising, I've put a spacer in the back of it and I'm part way through machining up a new follower that will stay square. I'd really like a 10 round mag that feeds well but in all honestly a 5 round will do.

If worse comes to worst I'll machine up a full mag that locates the rounds on the shoulder but it'll need to be single stack to do that so it'll either be really long or only 5 or 6 rounds.

I took it out for a shoot today to work out some loads, it seems to like 29-29.5gr of 2208 powder with a 108 Berger bullet (or maybe it was just my bad shooting on the others). The chrony wouldn't pick up a speed (it was about 5 degrees C and drizzly) but it's looking pretty good so far, the target was at 200m.

scan0062.jpg

Thanks, I'm considering a 6br tactical build and the only fly in the ointment is reliable feeding from AICS mags. Looking at ways to make that happen.