• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6BR/? switch barrel project

Longrange****

Old Hat Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2006
Mille Lacs, MN
Finally got enough parts to put the first barrel on!!

-Stiller Tac-30
-McMillan McHale stock
-Brux Barrel 30" finish...Broken Flutes...7.5 twist
-Rifle Basix LV-1 Trigger
-CDI bottom metal
-Harris Bipod 6-9" Swivel
-Stiller 20MOA Base
-Millet 6-25 LRS (Not Pictured)

Im stoked as hell!! This thing looks BAD ASS....I didnt know if I would like the flutes or not but Im sold on them....they are WAY cooler looking in person!!

IMG_2147.jpg

IMG_2153.jpg

Re: 6BR/? switch barrel project

Man that barrel looks KILLER!!! can u get any side pics, Id like to see the shape of that stock.

You are going to like that gun.

jerid

Lools great. Got the intermittent fluting on a Stiller Tac30, Brux 308 build as well. They're good barrels.

Yea Im going to love the thing.....THANK YOU tax return!! Although its nearly 2 years in the making.....the Stiller is a Snipers Hide edition 2007 number 10....

Here is a link to a picture of the stock with some info for you....

Mine has had the GAP camo pattern is all.....and a homemade cheek piece....

Just scroll down to the McHale...
http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcmillan-stocks-tactical-stock-list.php#mchale

Here is a profile shot.....couldnt get the rugrat to back up or the dog to take off....Dady gets near the floor and suddenly Im fair game!

6br.jpg

MAn, again thats one fine rifle!!!

I really like that stock, thats the first one Ive seen besides on the Mcm site.

You say its a 6mmbr whats your other barrel going to be? Also whats the conture on that barrel?

Im guessing its a single shot too, ? My bad, I just noticed the mag release..

Jerid

Yea its a repeater....

This barrel is going to be a 6BR.

The barrel is like a #7....it tapers more than I expected it to, and I wasnt too sure if I was going to like it when it showed up...but after I set it in there I LOVED it....

On the blank the muzzle is 0.75" (one inch from the muzzle) some of which will be trimmed off...

The stock is fairly light, lighter than I thought it would be anyway.....the only thing is if you read under the description on McMillan's site it states it was meant to be a mag fed or a single shot....not BDL, although the previous owner had no problems running it as such....

The other caliber I havent decided on yet.....Ive been toying with the idea of 6.5X47 Lapua.....but have been interested in the idea of the 6mmCrusader that George is working on....6mmRem AI is interesting too....I dont know if the second barrel will have the flutes though....$100 is expensive...but then again the cool factor is off the charts!!

Ive got a Win m70 thats a switch barrel gun. both barrels a Broughton 5C's, one is a 8 twist 6mmBR and the other is a 7.5 twist .243AI. both shoot very well. Ive also got a 6.5 x 47 Lap in the works it would be a good round too. and have lots of barrel life.

I was looking at that stock on McM's site last week and thinking what it would look like, and yours pops up. I think i like it even more now.

Im really impressed with that barrel too, I might go ahead and try one. Ive been looking into getting a 7mm cut rifled barrel, and those flutes are just crazy.

Good luck with it,

Jerid

I was hesitant on the flutes at first but I figured to hell with it...Im going to try it...its the first fluted custom barrel Ive had and Im sold on them....the extra $100 sucks...but hey it really is cool as hell and takes out ALOT of weight....

What I wanted was a caliber that is fairly cheap to shoot to get out to 600-800 yards (the 6BR) then I wanted one to get me out to 1200 plus....which is stretching it for a short action....but if Georges 6mm Crusader runs as well as originally hoped I may be looking into something that MIGHT get me to a mile....hell I even contemplated 6.5X284 but the barrel life kinda killed that idea.....Ive got to do more research on the 6mm AI......but the 6.5X47 is hard to shy away from....Ive shot a couple of them that are STUPID ACCURATE...

the ballistics table for my .243AI with the 105 VLD at 3150fps will stay supersonic to 1500 with less than 50moa drop from a 100 yard zero. I havent shot it that far, but thats what the calculator says.

I like the .243AI as i can get good cheap brass and Lapua for it. Also just about everyone makes dies for it too.

Another round to think about is a straight .284 win. Ive seen where guys are getting around 3000+ fps with RE-17 and the 180 VLD. My next project i want to do is a 7mm SAUM, Ive been buying brass here and there, and of 150 rem cases the weight spread was less than 1.5 grains. different lots too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not do a 6.5x47 imp?</div></div>

Because if I go the 6.5X47 rout I know someone that has a standard reamer....I would have to buy a new reamer just to go AI.....and if Im going to buy a reamer I would like to try something new....just what I was thinking....

By the way....what kind of gains would you get out of it? And are you mag feeding it reliably?

I didnt think about the 284.....I would prefer the round fit into a AI mag but for serious distance I dont have an issue with single feeding breach...

I had done all the research a few months ago on all the different calibers....but unfortunately Ive forgotten the majority of it since Ive been cramming for college....taking 24 Semester Credits right now and the ole brain is macaroni...graduating in 3 weeks though....

What kind of wind drift are we talking though Black Hawk?