• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6BR tube gun?

filefish

Private
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2006
anaheim
I recently sold the bulk of my gun collection to fund a new project. That project should be well under way within a month or two and then I want to start work on building a new gun. One of the guns I sold, which was my favorite long gun to shoot, was an AR10 24" bbl shot sub MOA. my ability was fast approaching that of the gun and I was starting to get frustrated with the restrictions of loading for a gas gun. I am starting to think about building a new mid to long range gun and for some reason a 6MMBR tube gun has captured my imagination. I have done some searching on the interwebs and have not been able to find much consolidated discussion about the advantages of various actions barrels and other components. My first inclination is to build off a rem 700 but wit other options like surgeon and APEX I feel rather lost and would like to fill my brain with information, and build right the first time

Re: 6BR tube gun?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't know if you've read this one or not. </div></div>

Yes, that's what really sparked my interest, but I was looking for more discussions. That site looked more like a retail site than a discussion forum

I would like to shoot like this (from your link)

eliseotargx320.jpg

They do have a forum over there. You get some of the same traffic between both sites but, they get more of a prone or bench rest crowd there, than here.

I don't know that I have time to do F class, with a wife and 2 young kids, I get out when I can, and can seldom plan around an event. My budget, if I want this built within a year, would probably be around a trued 700 action. I would rather be around $2k than $4k.. and then I still have to buy dies and components

You won't go wrong with a 6BR. I have one that will agg. under .25 moa. with a Kreiger barrel and a stock Rem.700 action. And this is with an 87 V-max of all things. Good luck.

Regards, Paul.

Sounds like a super project!
If you want to run a repeating rifle getting the 6mmbr to feed will be the hardest part.
It seems as if the linked tube gun has this dialed.

I would build it around the 105gr Berger which will allow you to shoot to 1000 yards at levels well beyond your abilities...Most likely for the rest of your life.

My personal 6mmbr is set up for FClass and has shot into the 0.1's quite few times now.
If it shoots much over 1/4inch either I screwed up or the load needs tweaking. A couple of weeks ago I had 3 in 3/4 inch and the last 2 opened the 600yd group to 2-1/4 inches...this is typical of what the 6mmbr can do.
My reamer is a min sammi spec no turn btw.

I have learned more about driving the wind with this cartridge than any other.
Pretty much the rifle does not make mistakes and it is so easy to shoot there is only one place to look if the bullet didn't go where it was supposed to....
More often than not in my case!
smile.gif

See, that is what I am interested in. My wife just read this thread and I got an ear-full about a $2-4k rifle +dies and components...
eek.gif
Do I really need to spend the money on a esoteric action, or will the stock 700 work? can I start with a 700 and upgrade when I start catching up with the rifle?

You can definitely base your build off of a Rem. 700 action. I built a 6mm Dasher ( 6 BR Improved ) for my wife and son but used a Savage dual port target action. With a Krieger barrel and Stockade PD / Tactical stock ( with the bells and whistles) I'm in it for under $2K. I'm really impressed wih the performance of the heavier 6mm bullets..105gr.+. Guess I'd recommend getting your machine work done ( trueing ) when you rebarrel....you can always upgrade the stock down the road.

Good Luck...the 6 BR is really accurate and has minimal recoil...very fun round to shoot.

Wayne

I run an aftermarket action on my 6mbr, but I'm not under any illusion it contributes to better accuracy than a blueprinted Remington.

The best FClass shooter in my area (by quite a bit) shoots a rem 700 on a POS laminate stock..Nothing wrong with Remington...or his fugly stock so it would seem!
smile.gif

Run what you got dude!

I have 3 6BR rifles, on two BAT VR action and one Stiller Predator action.

The BAT VR action is much more stiffer than the Predator, so much that the rear action wrench for the Rem700 works on the Predator, but does not enter the BAT VR action by a good margin. I had to order one from BAT.

As for price, I think if you already have a blueprinted Rem700 action, go and use it. But if you dont have one, I would invest on a better action, as the price of both, in the end, will probably be the same or very near.

I would say that the action and stock are the most expensive components. If you want an adjustable stock, that can go for more than a thousand dollars with the pillar beding or skin bedding.

Make a 6BR repeater rifle is hard. Eliseo tube stock works, but it is a kind of an open magazine. Some european repeater rifles are chambered for 6BR, but they are expensive and not commonly found in shops (ex: Sig 205, Tanner, Bleiker etc).
Find or build a reliable 6BR magazine that works is a challenge I still not had sucess.

But it is a wonderfull and accurate caliber!