• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6br twist/bullet options

Dildobaggins

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jun 26, 2020
    Asking this question on a couple forums to get a general consensus. About to order a 6mm blank for F open. The absolute very max shots I'd be taking are going to be 500 yards. Vast majority, like 99.9 percent of shots will be 300 and 100. There is zero chance I will go past 500 yards.

What barrel twist for a 6br would you choose?

What bullet(s) would you choose.

I was thinking 10 twist with 80fb berger, or 95 Bib.

Just looking for some guidance.

Thanks fellas

Reactions: xphunter
    Benchrest matches usually post equipment lists with the results sheets - you can peruse a couple of those to see what's popular in bullet weight/powder (for F class, look at short range score results).

Your option kinda splits the two schools- usually it's 65-69gr with a slow twist, or 103-115 with an 8 twist. Personally, I'd rock an 8 twist BRA with (pick your favourite) 105.

I’m new into so take my words with a grain of salt but I'm running a 1-7.5 with a 107 Sierra MK. And it shoots like a dream. Easy 30.8 gr varget. But I’m shooting prs. I don’t know if your looking for something different with f class

Attachments

• IMG_5547.jpeg
      IMG_5547.jpeg
      514.7 KB · Views: 58
    You can run the lighter bullets in a fast twist barrel...just make sure good quality bullets and ammo with not a lot of built in runout. Watch your sizing die set up. Crappy bullets or ammo with a lot of runout in a fast twist barrel that's usually the cause of an accuracy issue.

I run a 7.5 twist in the 6GT and 6BRA and guns are hammers. My Dasher when I had it was a 7.75 twist.

Later, Frank
    Bartlein Barrels

7.5tw 237 bore is the only way to go in a 6mm. Does just fine with 95-115gr bullets.

A 104 freebore with 8 twist will shoot those Bergers and anything up to 105 grain, maybe beyond .

Asking this question on a couple forums to get a general consensus. About to order a 6mm blank for F open. The absolute very max shots I'd be taking are going to be 500 yards. Vast majority, like 99.9 percent of shots will be 300 and 100. There is zero chance I will go past 500 yards.

What barrel twist for a 6br would you choose?

What bullet(s) would you choose.

I was thinking 10 twist with 80fb berger, or 95 Bib.

Just looking for some guidance.

Thanks fellas
    Give yourself an advantage when shooting, and go with 7.5T, that way you have the option of using the higher BC VLD's
    103 grain Vapor Trail bullets on up to the 109's

I’m wanting to play around with the 6br as well. I’m in the same boat. Mainly shooting at 100 but occasionally getting out to 300 yards. So if I’m following correctly a 7.5 or 8 twist will not sacrifice accuracy at 100, but will allow me to maintain that accuracy when I reach out a little further ?

Reactions: xphunter
    I’m wanting to play around with the 6br as well. I’m in the same boat. Mainly shooting at 100 but occasionally getting out to 300 yards. So if I’m following correctly a 7.5 or 8 twist will not sacrifice accuracy at 100, but will allow me to maintain that accuracy when I reach out a little further ?
    Correct sir.
    E

Reactions: StaveyIL