• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6BR

Edward_Stussy

Private
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2023
Utah
Hypothetically, what would be the steps someone would need to take to form a 6BR case from 7.62x39 or 308 brass?

The 308 WIN case is the parent case of the 6 BR.

You need a set of conversion (forming) dies, annealing, possible neck turning, and lots of work.
With some of those specific forming dies out of production or as special order, you can go 30 BR, 7BR, trim, turn, etc. 6 BR.

We used to do this back in the stone age, but don't need to any more.

These are not my photos, but will give you an idea of the work involved, less showing you the annealing.

1698701802285.png

1698701924752.png

But why would you if you can just buy 6 BR?

I think you have also confused the relationship between 6 PPC and 7.62x39. The 7.62x39 doesn't convert to 6 BR.

I don't recommend this path. It is a lot of work to end up with something you can buy.
Save the effort for Wildcats you cannot buy. YMMV

Part of the allure to making my own 6BR brass is the amount of learning that would inevitably take place during the process.

I understand that the brass can be bought, which I’ve already done, but like I said the amount of knowledge to be gained is invaluable.

Reactions: Dolomite
the amount of knowledge to be gained is invaluable.
Then by all means. Have fun.

I will suggest starting with a less difficult starting point by doing something like 7-08 from 308, or 300 BO from 223, in order to get used to the issues with a more basic neck down and simple shoulder change before taking on 6 BR from 308. Or, if you can find a mentor who likes Wildcats maybe you can get a demonstration.

Part of the allure to making my own 6BR brass is the amount of learning that would inevitably take place during the process.

I understand that the brass can be bought, which I’ve already done, but like I said the amount of knowledge to be gained is invaluable.

Fair warning, you won't learn very much. It's literally just slowly stepping brass down in size, cutting away the excess, and fire forming. The only things you'll learn are how brass reacts and hardens....which you can learn via reading.

If you like tinkering, go for it. If you expect to actual "learn" something valuable, you'll likely be disappointed when you have spend countless hours and all you have learned is a very minor amount of how brass reacts to the process you put it through.

You'd learn exponentially more either reading or taking classes in metallurgy or learning how brass cases are made from scratch, rather than stepping brass down like this.

And lastly, if you insist on this endeavor, I'd suggest doing something like making a cartridge from Lapua brass that isn't offered by Lapua. Such as making 6gt lapua brass. In the end, you'd at least have some very good brass that isn't available from Lapua.

If you are bored and got the time and money why not. Give it a go and let us know what it looks like step by step.