• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6BRA Curtis Vector in MDT ACC?

blaserman33

Private
Minuteman
May 23, 2011
Phoenix,AZ
Anyone here running a Curtis Vector or Terminus Zeus in 6BR based cases in a MDT ACC with AW mags? I had my Curtis 6BRA in a KRG W3 and just couldn’t get it to feed right so I gave up and took it out of the KRG and put it in a Foundation Stock just to have it in something and of course it seems to feed just fine in the Foundation with no tweaking, but I’m not a big fan of the Foundation (blasphemy, I know) but I just prefer the chassis. So does the Vector/Zeus in KRG combo just not play well together? Anyone had better luck in a MDT or MPA? I really prefer the 3 Lug but my Impact was running better even with AW mags which isn’t supposed to be the case. Any thoughts?

KRG sells an oversized mag catch for the user to trim fit. I would say it’s a mag height issue. Just something to try but I cannot guarantee it’ll work. I know the Vector in a KRG will feed 6CM from a standard AICS so it’s not so much an action to chassis incompatibility.

KRG sells an oversized mag catch for the user to trim fit. I would say it’s a mag height issue. Just something to try but I cannot guarantee it’ll work. I know the Vector in a KRG will feed 6CM from a standard AICS so it’s not so much an action to chassis incompatibility.
Yeah I tried that. I have tried adjusting the mag catch, tried adjusting feed lips, tried holding the mag in certain positions by hand while cycling the bolt and just can’t get it to feed 100% reliably. It’s feeds ok most of the time, but I usually get at least 1 MIS-feed per mag. Swapped it to the Foundation with no other tweaking besides the mag kit and have yet to have a Mis-feed. Granted it’s been limited testing in the Foundation, but so far it seems much better. I thought I read in another post where a guy had issues getting his to feed in a KRG as well despite the extended mag catch. Yes, it’s feed Creedmore okay with tuned mags, but those same mags with a mag kit won’t feed the BRA. When I say MIS-feed, I don’t mean it doesn’t pick up a round, but the round tips and hits the face of the barrel and then the head of the case gets stuck against the shoulders & feed lips of the mag below it.

Have you reached out to KRG at all? They may have a solution to try. Aside from the mag catch there is some adjustment that can be made to the magazine fit but I cannot quote it. I think overall the W3 is picky. My experiences say so anyway... Reach out to them but based on what you said, even if you can work out the onsie twosie misfeeds they’ll probably return at a very inconvenient time.

Edit to add: Worse case scenario an MPA might be a good fit if you want to look into another chassis. I’m a W3 fanboy but the MPA is a close second for me personally.

No I haven’t reached out to KRG yet. I know that you can slide the fore end front to back slightly to adjust the fit/snugness for different sized mags etc. but I don’t think that would help. I almost wonder if the KRG just positions the mag at a slightly different angle or something. I don’t think the oversized bolt on the Curtis helps much either cause the feed ramp has to be taller/steeper and it makes the round want to go completely vertical.

I kind of think the actions almost sit higher relative to the mag well but I could be talking out the ass. Also haven’t seen enough actions to say whether or not steep feed ramps add to the pile. In which case one might compare the inlets between what does work and what doesn’t. There might be a way to machine the difference but I don’t know. I bet it’s frustrating though.

I’m sure KRG would love to help you through it nonetheless.

If I am not mistaken @littlepod has been tinkering with combinations like this for the last little while?

The way our chassis are inletted for the R700 SA and Clone actions means that the AW magazines should typically be "plug-and-play", or else they will require a slightly different magazine latch. The hardest part is that most 3-lug actions are notorious for feeding issues due to their oversized bolt, which lowers the magazine/top round and thus, increases the presentation angle of the rounds. Couple that with the very short/steep feed ramps and the ting case length of the BR based or 223 based cartridges and you have the perfect storm!

Unfortunately there is almost always tweaking required and it's not uncommon for one magazine to work, while another just won't and that is pretty much just tolerance stack-up or a very minute difference that holds you up.

Hope that helps clarify things a little?
Josh

Reactions: Hartyk
I run 308 and 6GT through my ACC and Terminus Zeus actions with AW mags. You need the magazine to be fully locked up to prevent bolt over from happening which was my main issue.

Out of the box, the AW mag wouldn't seat. I had to file very tiny amounts off the mag latch until it seated perfectly.

For 6BR 'd recommend the HRD spacer kits to prevent the rear diving and thus causing a bolt over. I got the 6GT to run with AW mags 95% of the time w/o the kit, but the kit makes it 100% viable.

308 I've had no problem with at all.

Reactions: MDT_Josh
My problem isn’t bolt over, I never have that, my problem is the rounds slamming into the barrel face as the come up the feed ramp, or occasionally when one feeds from the left side of the mag the head of the case pops out of the mag too fast and the head gets trapped between the bolt and the ejection port. I guess it must just be the way the mag sits in the Foundation cause in the KRG moving the mag up or down by shortening or lengthening the mag catch didn’t work. The only other thing I can think of is that the Hawkins bottom metal in the Foundation fits really snugly around the magazine body so it doesn’t let it tip or tilt as the rounds are pushed forward.

Reactions: Mk32784
I run 308 and 6GT through my ACC and Terminus Zeus actions with AW mags. You need the magazine to be fully locked up to prevent bolt over from happening which was my main issue.

Out of the box, the AW mag wouldn't seat. I had to file very tiny amounts off the mag latch until it seated perfectly.

For 6BR 'd recommend the HRD spacer kits to prevent the rear diving and thus causing a bolt over. I got the 6GT to run with AW mags 95% of the time w/o the kit, but the kit makes it 100% viable.

308 I've had no problem with at all.

The Terminus also has a smaller diameter bolt, so your feed ramp isn’t a steep! That probably helps too.