• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6BRX info needed

J McGriddle

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2017
Middle Tennessee
I'm interested in swapping from 6.5CM to the 6BRX. Any info would be appreciated- pet loads, How do you fire form, typical accuracy, barrel life- things like that. Thanks for your help.

You’ll love the recoil, or lack of anyway. I bought hydro-formed brass from Hunts Long Range and avoided the fire forming all together. I’m on my first barrel and only about 700 in so can’t speak with experience on barrel life, but I expect 1500-1800 and more. My load now is 32.5gr Varget with a Berger 105 hybrid, scoots at about 2940fps. Ran it in a really wet match with no troubles

Reactions: J McGriddle
How long is your barrel? I've seen guys running the longer lengths (26+) with the br & br-a. I would like to stay around 24".

24”, and also have been using an ultra9 can lately.

varget...32.1 to 32.9 with a 105 hybrid or a 108g berger .025 off the lands with a fed205M primer .002 neck tension for your load development....my load is also 32.5g varget with a 108g berger .025 off 2965 average out of a 28" bartlein....2940-2960 is a real nice sweet spot in the brx...i normally run 26" barrels.

fire forming...im running peterson BR brass right now...i anneal first then neck size with a .264 bushing which gives me .0045 to .005 neck tension...i run 29g varget with a 105g berger boat tail target bullet jammed .090...yes you read that right...jammed 90 thousandths with a fed 205M...you want a lot of neck tension with a hard jam....my first fire forming with the BRX i ran 200 pieces of lapua right outta the box with .035 jam and second firing started have head separation...not coming off but bad ring i cut a few open and tossed all 200.

ive also used hunts and DJs for hydro formed brass but went back to fire forming because you really need to get a 100 or so rounds down the barrel before starting load development anyway and the fire forming rounds are pretty accurate and its trigger/practice time.

accuracy is outstanding....i shot a 1.5" 3 shot group at 850yds in a match that was witnessed by a member here...ive shot a few groups at 650yds that were as big as your thumb nail.

barrel life...the most ive ran was 1600ish and being mid season id pull those barrels and start fresh...the barrel im shooting now has 1250ish through it and sense the season is over im going to run it in the ground and im thinking 2500ish.
i just shot a short range tactical match a couple of weeks ago with my fire forming barrel and took second place...that barrel has at least 1800-1900 on it and 330 of those are fire forming.

lotta ppl do not like fore forming but its great practice and getting that initial speed up is important...plus any day shooting is a good day.

Was the 1600ish round count where you started seeing diminished performance or were you just being safe on avoiding a failure in the middle of a match etc?
Btw, I am a diehard x47 fan, have a couple 6.5’s and a 6x47, so high 5 on your user name ??‍♂️

My node is actually 2930 with 105 hybrids. I fireformed with the false shoulder method and still used a hard jam and 29.4gr of Varget. I also like to have 200 cases formed for every gun I have so forming loads are used for practice, although I have shot it in a match with forming loads and did really well.

I run H4350 in my formed cases. Currently I have 1700ish rounds on this current barrel and it shows no signs of slowing down yet.

Was the 1600ish round count where you started seeing diminished performance or were you just being safe on avoiding a failure in the middle of a match etc?
Btw, I am a diehard x47 fan, have a couple 6.5’s and a 6x47, so high 5 on your user name ??‍♂️
If you already have a 6-47, why go with a brx?

no the barrels were still hammers i just did not want one to go in the middle of a match...i drove 5.5 hours once to a match and was killing it until we hit the 600yd stage thats when things went south...my 6.5x47 barrel let go and started throwing flyers 3-5ft off targets..2495 rounds.

Reactions: mahlv
My node is actually 2930 with 105 hybrids. I fireformed with the false shoulder method and still used a hard jam and 29.4gr of Varget. I also like to have 200 cases formed for every gun I have so forming loads are used for practice, although I have shot it in a match with forming loads and did really well.

I run H4350 in my formed cases. Currently I have 1700ish rounds on this current barrel and it shows no signs of slowing down yet.

ive played with the 4350 as well...35.6g is slightly compressed and ran about 2960...varget has just been much more accurate and easier...also played with RL16 and could only get 2910 with slight compressed load.

Reactions: Geno C.
ive played with the 4350 as well...35.6g is slightly compressed and ran about 2960...varget has just been much more accurate and easier...also played with RL16 and could only get 2910 with slight compressed load.
Off the top of my head, I’m pretty sure I’m running 34.7gr at 2930. I have a longer barrel though

An odd thing to me is the bra guys are pushing going the other way, running h4895. They’re running into what I did a long time ago; it’s lot to lot swings are retarded!!

An odd thing to me is the bra guys are pushing going the other way, running h4895. They’re running into what I did a long time ago; it’s lot to lot swings are retarded!!

im going to try varget in mine but ive got 9lbs of 4895 just in case...i just want to see what all the fuss is about with the BRA.

I have 1250 yards at the range I go to. How realistic are consistent hits with the BRX at that distance?

1250yds with a 108g berger at 2960 is 9.7mils and 1.8mils in a 10mph wind from 3 o'clock and still a bit over 1500fps...ive shot my BRX out to 1600 and got hits but not consistent anything 1400 and in is pretty consistent as long as its nice and/or you can call the wind.

varget...32.1 to 32.9 with a 105 hybrid or a 108g berger .025 off the lands with a fed205M primer .002 neck tension for your load development....my load is also 32.5g varget with a 108g berger .025 off 2965 average out of a 28" bartlein....2940-2960 is a real nice sweet spot in the brx...i normally run 26" barrels.

fire forming...im running peterson BR brass right now...i anneal first then neck size with a .264 bushing which gives me .0045 to .005 neck tension...i run 29g varget with a 105g berger boat tail target bullet jammed .090...yes you read that right...jammed 90 thousandths with a fed 205M...you want a lot of neck tension with a hard jam....my first fire forming with the BRX i ran 200 pieces of lapua right outta the box with .035 jam and second firing started have head separation...not coming off but bad ring i cut a few open and tossed all 200.

ive also used hunts and DJs for hydro formed brass but went back to fire forming because you really need to get a 100 or so rounds down the barrel before starting load development anyway and the fire forming rounds are pretty accurate and its trigger/practice time.

accuracy is outstanding....i shot a 1.5" 3 shot group at 850yds in a match that was witnessed by a member here...ive shot a few groups at 650yds that were as big as your thumb nail.

barrel life...the most ive ran was 1600ish and being mid season id pull those barrels and start fresh...the barrel im shooting now has 1250ish through it and sense the season is over im going to run it in the ground and im thinking 2500ish.
i just shot a short range tactical match a couple of weeks ago with my fire forming barrel and took second place...that barrel has at least 1800-1900 on it and 330 of those are fire forming.

lotta ppl do not like fore forming but its great practice and getting that initial speed up is important...plus any day shooting is a good day.

Digging up this thread.

Deciding between 6brx, 6bra, and dasher.

You prefer the 6brx or the 6bra after running them both?

I’ll use hydro for brx or dasher. Fireform my own if 6bra.

Digging up this thread.

BRA hands down my favorite cartridge I’ve shot!

do the BRA you will not be disappointed...my current barrel is a .104 freebore and works great next barrel is a .175 freebore so I can run big jumps but I think a .140 is going to be about perfect.

varget or shooters world precision would be my suggestions for powder I did not care for H4895....imho a little to fast...fed205m primers and Peterson brass though I think I’m going to start with lapua(about a grain more capacity)and run some RL16 with 109s and see how that works out.

we have 6 BRAs going here they are all hammers.

Reactions: Dthomas3523
BRA hands down my favorite cartridge I’ve shot!

do the BRA you will not be disappointed...my current barrel is a .104 freebore and works great next barrel is a .175 freebore so I can run big jumps but I think a .140 is going to be about perfect.

varget or shooters world precision would be my suggestions for powder I did not care for H4895....imho a little to fast...fed205m primers and Peterson brass though I think I’m going to start with lapua(about a grain more capacity)and run some RL16 with 109s and see how that works out.

we have 6 BRAs going here they are all hammers.

Any idea best place to get a reamer, fairly quick?

How long will you need it for?

Just long enough to spin 2 barrels. Like a week maybe.

What are your specs? Basically the same as a 6br, but with 40deg shoulder? Or other changes as well?

6BR with a 40* shoulder and .004 short like a typical AI so you get a crush fit and no need to jam bullets. My reamer is a .272 neck size Peterson and lapua have .004 clearance.

you can barrow mine if you want...I’ll get it from my smith and send it next week.

Digging up this thread.

I have a lot of configurations of a 6Br (why not a BRDX :) ), and the BRA is my favorite. I used the COW method to FF cases. The present cases used for matches have 9 firings on them. That is 800 cases. You can get slightly more velocity with a dasher or BRX if you push them hard. My reamer is a .269 neck and .125FB. Alex Wheeler had JGS formalize a reamer that you can call them and order. His is different than mine, since mine was done before the BRA craze started. The LR benchrest guys are using the BRA to set new records at 1000 yards in some pretty windy conditions out in Montana, so you know it has to be good. The dasher was king for a long time, but it is not first choice for most any more. Cheers

Have a Xcaliber small shank savage BRX barrel I’m not sure I’m going to get around to using if anyone is interested. Have a go gauge to go with it.