• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6CM or 6.5CM for PRS

HAJ6.5

Private
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2021
California
I’m currently in the process of getting ready to send my rifle parts to the gunsmith. I currently have a Benchmark 27”, 6.5mm, 1-7.5 twist barrel ready to ship to the smith. I also have a Benchmark 29”, 6mm, 1-8 twist barrel being made, however, it’s not ready yet. I only want to build one rifle right now for PRS competitions, and I’m trying to decide on 6.5 Creed or 6mm Creed.

I’m choosing between these two cartridges because of the excellent factory ammunition that is available. I will also be reloading for both. As I mentioned, I’m only going to have one rifle built at this time. My question is, should I go with the 6CM or 6.5CM? I know the 6Dasher, 6BR, 6BRA and 6GT are popular right now because they produce less recoil.

My rifle is going to be heavy, 25 to 30lbs, with an APW Raptor 5 Port Brake, so I’m leaning heavily towards the 6.5CM. I also like the longer barrel life of the 6.5CM. I know this question has been asked many times, and I’ve read some of the other threads. I’ve shot my friends Ruger Hawkeye Long Range Target 6.5CM, and I can see my hits and misses with ease. The recoil from that rifle seems easy to manage, so I’m not worried about recoil. However, I would like to get a fresh perspective on the topic before I make my final decision. I’m continuing to read about recoil management and follow up shots being better with the 6mm’s.

Last edited:
Go with one of the 6br family cartridges. They shoot great and as far as spotting impacts for far targets your spotting scope or binos you use matter a lot. Better glass on it the better you’ll see if your hitting or missing. My friend shot his 22gt at a match and had to reshoot 2 stages because of spotters with sig glass not seeing impacts. Switched to swaro binos and you could easily see impacts

Go with one of the 6br family cartridges. They shoot great and as far as spotting impacts for far targets your spotting scope or binos you use matter a lot. Better glass on it the better you’ll see if your hitting or missing. My friend shot his 22gt at a match and had to reshoot 2 stages because of spotters with sig glass not seeing impacts. Switched to swaro binos and you could easily see impacts
Thank you for the feedback. However, I’ve already dropped a tone of money on my MDT ACC System and Mags for one of the Creeds. Plus I have 500 new 6.5CM cases, and I can neck size those down to 6CM if I go that route.

If it has to be one of those two, might as well be 6.5. Have that barrel finished at 24”, skip the factory and load your own using lighter bullets (130gn?). Longer barrel life, maybe a little bit better in the wind at distances exceeding 500 yds or so.

Once you realize you can have the other barrel chambered for 6Br and use the same action, chassis, and magazines, you’ll have a practice barrel and a match barrel and you’ll be all set.

Reactions: LR1845
I’m not sure it’s recoil is why BR variants are popular vs 6cm. I think it’s some barrel life, some ease of loading, brass longevity, and because targets are known distance. The flatter trajectory of 6cm isn’t required. I suppose there’s a small level of recoil difference, that I can discern, between the BRs and 6cm - all things kind of being equalized with the massive muzzle brakes we’re all using and weight of our guns.

That being said: I would go 6.5cm first and later do 6cm. You can easily neck down your 6.5 brass to 6cm and use the same powders and run it. I like the barrel life and I still see shooters finish in the top 10 with 6.5cm, also I see shooters win matches with 6cm. You’re not giving up much with the 6.5 and in my opinion you give up nothing to the BR with 6cm.

25lbs is very heavy though, I don’t think you need anything more than 20lbs. But try it out, when you’re first starting try every configuration out. I know my ACC will balance with a 26in barrel and 2 weights with a leupold mk5.

I’m not sure it’s recoil is why BR variants are popular vs 6cm. I think it’s some barrel life, some ease of loading, brass longevity, and because targets are known distance. The flatter trajectory of 6cm isn’t required. I suppose there’s a small level of recoil difference, that I can discern, between the BRs and 6cm - all things kind of being equalized with the massive muzzle brakes we’re all using and weight of our guns.

That being said: I would go 6.5cm first and later do 6cm. You can easily neck down your 6.5 brass to 6cm and use the same powders and run it. I like the barrel life and I still see shooters finish in the top 10 with 6.5cm, also I see shooters win matches with 6cm. You’re not giving up much with the 6.5 and in my opinion you give up nothing to the BR with 6cm.

25lbs is very heavy though, I don’t think you need anything more than 20lbs. But try it out, when you’re first starting try every configuration out. I know my ACC will balance with a 26in barrel and 2 weights with a leupold mk5.
first let me say i agree about the OP going with a 65creed to start but only because its the easy button and he already has most of what he needs to get started.

the very reason a lotta guys are going to the BR variants IS reduced recoil....its all about spotting your impacts to make a correction if needed and these small cartridges with 10g less powder make that much easier. as far as known distances or not ill take a flatter shooting round all day long and it does not matter if that bullet is shot out of a 6CM or a 6BR variant if its going 2900fps its going 2900fps the only difference is the BR will do it with 10g less powder.

next is barrel life...depending on powders...6CM running 39-41g of powder and 6BR and variants running 29-32g of powder this equates to less recoil better barrel life and obviously quite a few more rounds per jug of powder.

25lbs is not real heavy for a comp gun and as i said in another thread about gun weight with the chassis systems(your ACC is a perfect example)you can weight them down for comps and lighten them up for other things if needed.

Wow guys, thank you all for the great information and insight on my question. I think I’ll do the 6.5CM for my first build and then chamber the 6mm barrel into one of the BR Variants as suggested. Here is the specs for the rifle:
1. BAT TR Action
2. MDT ACC with internal, external and butt stock weight and bag rider.
3. Benchmark 27” 1-7.5 twist, MTU Custom Barrel tapered to 1” at muzzle.
4. Bix’n Andy TacSport Pro Trigger, with Flat 90 degree trigger shoe.
5. APW Raptor 5 Port Muzzle Brake (Awesome product from the guys in South Africa)
6. MDT-CKYE-POD GEN2 Double Pull.
7. MDT ELITE 34MM Scope Rings.
8. NIGHTFORCE 5x25x56mm B.E.A.S.T. Scope. (Amazing Scope and Glass)

Some have asked why the B.E.A.S.T, and not an ATACR. I’ve had the Nightforce B.E.A.S.T just sitting in the shooting room waiting to be used. I’n my opinion, the B.E.A.S.T is really a special scope with some of the clearest glass I’ve looked through, not to mention it’s turrets are very crisp and their function is truly state of the art. I know the top turret is large and May interfere with some barricades, but I guess I will find out. I’m looking at the Kahles K525i DLR Scope, but I just decided I really liked the B.E.A.S.T, problbaly also because it was paid for too, LOL! At any rate, I’m looking forward to seeing how she performes.

Once again guys, thank you to all that responded. I truly appreciate all of your opinions and insight.

Reactions: smooth
Wow guys, thank you all for the great information and insight on my question. I think I’ll do the 6.5CM for my first build and then chamber the 6mm barrel into one of the BR Variants as suggested. Here is the specs for the rifle:
1. BAT TR Action
5. APW Raptor 5 Port Muzzle Brake (Awesome product from the guys in South Africa)

Some have asked why the B.E.A.S.T, and not an ATACR. I’ve had the Nightforce B.E.A.S.T just sitting in the shooting room waiting to be used. I’n my opinion, the B.E.A.S.T is really a special scope with some of the clearest glass I’ve looked through, not to mention it’s turrets are very crisp and their function is truly state of the art. I know the top turret is large and May interfere with some barricades, but I guess I will find out. I’m looking at the Kahles K525i DLR Scope, but I just decided I really liked the B.E.A.S.T, problbaly also because it was paid for too, LOL! At any rate, I’m looking forward to seeing how she performes.

Once again guys, thank you to all that responded. I truly appreciate all of your opinions and insight.
IF and WHEN you start looking at other scopes id suggest looking at the leupold MK5 and the minox in the price range of the kahles your looking at...ive owned 2 kahles 2 minox and 2 MK5s...as well as several other scopes...the glass on the minox was outanding but the eye box was a bit tight for my liking so i sold them and went with the kahles which is also a fantastic scope and i loved some of the features and again great glass but not quite as good as the minox.

after looking through a MK5 side by side with the kahles in 95deg with heat/mirage at 550yds with 2 other guys i sold the kahles and bought 2 MK5s...the MK5 handled the mirage better to my eye and the other 2 guys said the same thing.

i just recently looked through a ZCO and guess what happened LOL!
my point here is to look through several different scopes in your price range and look through them a couple of times not just once before making a finial decision....most guys at these matches are willing to help and let you check out their equipment some will even let you shoot their rifles or test different bags, tripods ECT. this can save you a lot of money at the end of the day.

1. BAT TR Action

Nice setup, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed! Next addition might look at a 223 trainer if you don’t have one!

IF and WHEN you start looking at other scopes id suggest looking at the leupold MK5 and the minox in the price range of the kahles your looking at...ive owned 2 kahles 2 minox and 2 MK5s...as well as several other scopes...the glass on the minox was outanding but the eye box was a bit tight for my liking so i sold them and went with the kahles which is also a fantastic scope and i loved some of the features and again great glass but not quite as good as the minox.

after looking through a MK5 side by side with the kahles in 95deg with heat/mirage at 550yds with 2 other guys i sold the kahles and bought 2 MK5s...the MK5 handled the mirage better to my eye and the other 2 guys said the same thing.

i just recently looked through a ZCO and guess what happened LOL!
my point here is to look through several different scopes in your price range and look through them a couple of times not just once before making a finial decision....most guys at these matches are willing to help and let you check out their equipment some will even let you shoot their rifles or test different bags, tripods ECT. this can save you a lot of money at the end of the day.
Thank you for that information on scopes. It’s getting difficult these days to decide on scopes, let alone the right cartridge for PRS. I looked through a ton of scopes before I bought my Nightforce BEAST. The glass, on the BEAST, was just perfect for my eyes. I currently have a Nightforce ATACR 5x25x56 on order, however, it’s in the second focal plan. I’m planning on putting that on my 22lr trainer when she is completed.

I looked through the Kahles and thought the glass was great too, and I liked it’s features. I’m going to buy one more high end scope, then I’m done with optics. I purchased a Vortex Spotting Scope, and I absolutely love it. I can’t believe how clear the glass is. I was going to buy a Swaro, believe me that glass was unreal and I almost bought that.

However, after looking through the Vortex, I felt it was really clear for my eyes and it would work great for me. I just couldn’t pay the extra $$ for that Swaro. I had too many others things that I needed to purchase, like two BAT Actions, LOL! I’m really glad I chose the Vortex spotting scope, after using it at the range, I’m impressed. At any rate, I still have plenty of things to purchase, so this spending spree is not over.

Thank you for that information on scopes. It’s getting difficult these days to decide on scopes, let alone the right cartridge for PRS. I looked through a ton of scopes before I bought my Nightforce BEAST. The glass, on the BEAST, was just perfect for my eyes. I currently have a Nightforce ATACR 5x25x56 on order, however, it’s in the second focal plan. I’m planning on putting that on my 22lr trainer when she is completed.

I looked through the Kahles and thought the glass was great too, and I liked it’s features. I’m going to buy one more high end scope, then I’m done with optics. I purchased a Vortex Spotting Scope, and I absolutely love it. I can’t believe how clear the glass is. I was going to buy a Swaro, believe me that glass was unreal and I almost bought that.

However, after looking through the Vortex, I felt it was really clear for my eyes and it would work great for me. I just couldn’t pay the extra $$ for that Swaro. I had too many others things that I needed to purchase, like two BAT Actions, LOL! I’m really glad I chose the Vortex spotting scope, after using it at the range, I’m impressed. At any rate, I still have plenty of things to purchase, so this spending spree is not over.
and the spending never ends LOL!!

Nice setup, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed! Next addition might look at a 223 trainer if you don’t have one!
Hello, I’m having a Vudoo 22LR being built right now for my trainer. I decided to go this route due to ammunition expense and the experience it will give me reading the wind. I’m hearing really good things about practicing with a trainer, in 22lr.

Reactions: JustSendit
and the spending never ends LOL!!
Tell me about it! Now I’m getting my budget ready for my reloading equipment and bench set up. I’ve already begun collecting reloading components such as brass, bullets, etc. I’m waiting on powder and primers to come available, and I’m on a waiting list for that. I’m working OT like crazy! I also purchased a Sig Sauer KILO BDX2400 Range Finder, which is great piece of kit! The BDX2400 is an awesome Range Finder, if anyone is trying to decide on one.

Bring that rifle to the 2-day match in Central California (SLO) in February. A few of us around the country are flying to it to have a good time! You will learn a lot about what works and what doesn't, before buying a bunch of stuff.

Bring that rifle to the 2-day match in Central California (SLO) in February. A few of us around the country are flying to it to have a good time! You will learn a lot about what works and what doesn't, before buying a bunch of stuff.
I will definitely try to make that match to watch and learn. My main PRS rifle will not be completed until probably March 2022. I also found a range in Avenal, that is close to my home, so I plan on going there too. I just talked to Scott, who runs the matches there and he sounds like a really great guy. BTW-thank for the info on the SLO Match!

I will be the oddball here. <which is normal>

WHY a 30lb rifle ? With an effective brake and solid fundamentals...

Do you really need/want a bench weight gun, particulary for a field match with lots of hiking, not including the weight of rest of your kit?

Either cartridge will do well for you... easier to see/spot impacts @ distance with a heavier projectile. Likely slightly better barrel life (which is a consumeable item ) with the 6.5.

FWIW I shoot both the 6x47 and 6.5x 47 Lapuas- slightly favoring the 6mm version.

Good luck regardless

Scott is a great guy and puts on a challenging and fun course of fire. Avenal is A LOT of hiking. Good luck.
Speaking of hiking, I’m headed to gym here real soon. Trying to get myself back in great shape. Hopefully I’ll be in better shape for the more rigorous matches.

I will be the oddball here. <which is normal>

WHY a 30lb rifle ? With an effective brake and solid fundamentals...

Do you really need/want a bench weight gun, particulary for a field match with lots of hiking, not including the weight of rest of your kit?

Either cartridge will do well for you... easier to see/spot impacts @ distance with a heavier projectile. Likely slightly better barrel life (which is a consumeable item ) with the 6.5.

FWIW I shoot both the 6x47 and 6.5x 47 Lapuas- slightly favoring the 6mm version.

Good luck regardless
I guess I’m going to find out. I’ll be able to change weight on my rifle, due to having the MDT ACC Chassis. It’s going to be a learning curve, but I’m ready to learn from everyone. I’m sure I’ll make changes, I’m actually expecting it. I’ll be going to some matches to watch and learn. I’m sure I’ll learn a ton. Thank you for the question and insight.

I will definitely try to make that match to watch and learn. My main PRS rifle will not be completed until probably March 2022. I also found a range in Avenal, that is close to my home, so I plan on going there too. I just talked to Scott, who runs the matches there and he sounds like a really great guy. BTW-thank for the info on the SLO Match!
scott and the Avenal crew are great guys, great shooters with a mix of gear so this will be a great bunch to get in with and learn from...id suggest you go check out a match or two before you get your rifle youll learn a lot just watching and listening plus these guys will let you check out their gear...just dont look through one of their ZCOs unless you have the money to buy one LOL!!

Reactions: DIBBS
scott and the Avenal crew are great guys, great shooters with a mix of gear so this will be a great bunch to get in with and learn from...id suggest you go check out a match or two before you get your rifle youll learn a lot just watching and listening plus these guys will let you check out their gear...just dont look through one of their ZCOs unless you have the money to buy one LOL!!
Thanks, I just looked at the ZCO scopes, 😩. Now, I’m going to have to check one of those out.

define a ton of money?!

Reactions: Curahee19
Don’t over think it just build the 6.5 and go shoot and have fun.the recoil between the two isn’t that different with a heavy rifle and good brake.

Sounds like a heck of a build! I’m sure you will be happy. I can tell you one thing for sure, after building my 7th rifle now, my 6.5 see’s the least amount of use. It shoots amazing, and barrel life is stellar but the 6’s are more fun to shoot.

I think the 6.5 is the better start though. Slightly more recoil is a trade off for the better barrel life allowing more practice! The 6 can be the future. After doing it a couple times, once you chamber the 6, skip the creed and definitely go right to a br variant!

I’m eager to hear your thoughts on the apw brake. Been eying one for a bit and there mandrel kit actually

Sounds like a heck of a build! I’m sure you will be happy. I can tell you one thing for sure, after building my 7th rifle now, my 6.5 see’s the least amount of use. It shoots amazing, and barrel life is stellar but the 6’s are more fun to shoot.

I think the 6.5 is the better start though. Slightly more recoil is a trade off for the better barrel life allowing more practice! The 6 can be the future. After doing it a couple times, once you chamber the 6, skip the creed and definitely go right to a br variant!

I’m eager to hear your thoughts on the apw brake. Been eying one for a bit and there mandrel kit actually
Right now the plan is the 6.5CM. I have a 6mm barrel being made as we speak and will probably do the 6Dasher or 6BR when that time comes.

Regarding the APW Brake, I highly recommend the Raptor 5 Port Brake. It’s so well made and it looks awesome! In my opinion, It’s the best Brake I’ve owned, by far.

Right now the plan is the 6.5CM. I have a 6mm barrel being made as we speak and will probably do the 6Dasher or 6BR when that time comes.

Regarding the APW Brake, I highly recommend the Raptor 5 Port Brake. It’s so well made and it looks awesome! In my opinion, It’s the best Brake I’ve owned, by far.

well like I said sounds like an awesome build!!

thabk you

My Benchmark 6mm Barrel showed up just in time before I ship all the parts to the gunsmith. I will be going with the 6CM. Thank you for all the opinions and suggestions.

Last edited:
Reactions: giumau1