• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6DOF

Ranger188

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2018
Lapua has a new ballistic calculator, has anyone tried it?

Kind of funky how it reads out t he corrections in number of clicks. I find the interface a bit cumbersome to use.

I do like that it generates a graph showing the bullet travel above the line of sight.

Just for giggles, I downloaded it and punched in the data from my GT with 109s. It came up with .7 mils too much elevation and .8 too much wind as compared to verified AB data. I'm sure I could get it to line up with some tweaking, but also don't care for the clicks reading.

Its been out for a while now. It had a rough patch (maybe still does) that it wasn't functioning properly. My understanding is that is was really only worth the effort if you were using Lapua bullets or ammunition as they were the only items with the doppler data available.

I've been receiving emails from Lapua in the past 2-3 weeks that they have put out videos on how to use it. Perhaps they have renewed their efforts to bring it back into the spotlight and make their app a player. Being associated with Berger/AB maybe they can take advantage of the data and make the app viable.

I downloaded it about a year ago. I find it cumbersome to use compared to some of the other apps. maybe I just need to use it more ??

Reactions: LastShot300
Unless they fixed the atmosphere the app does not work here

I contacted them about it, and they can recreate the problem, but it's not set up to work correctly if you have to change the weather off sea level

Could never get it to work correctly and to my knowledge they never addressed it.

Unless they fixed the atmosphere the app does not work here

I contacted them about it, and they can recreate the problem, but it's not set up to work correctly if you have to change the weather off sea level

Could never get it to work correctly and to my knowledge they never addressed it.

Yeah, shooting at 8K feet in the mountains of CO my DA is 9500 feet. Kinda extreme conditions for most of the planet, just saying.

• Haha
Reactions: LastShot300
I downloaded it about a year ago. I find it cumbersome to use compared to some of the other apps. maybe I just need to use it more ??
Same boat here, never worked...too much trouble for nothing really worth to wrote Mom about, and the overall layout seems to have been designed by programmers not shooters..It wasn't accurate even with their own radar signatures. I simply uninstalled it, turned the page over and never looked back

Reactions: Laseredge
After seeing this thread and getting some emails from Lapua about their app I decided to compare against my recent outings and the data is lining up about 99% of the time. In the app history it shows it was last updated like a year and a half ago so it doesn't seem like it would be recent but its working great!
Also this is at a DA between 8500 and 10000 so not even close to sea level. I might have another great backup app now.

@Long Range 338

ive seen people say the have a "back up app" before

is it common for apps to crash on certain devices or after updates that some guys need them?

thanks
Brian

@Long Range 338

ive seen people say the have a "back up app" before

is it common for apps to crash on certain devices or after updates that some guys need them?

thanks
Brian

I don't know about common but it does seem to happen from time to time. Hornady had a couple of bugs (fixed now) that were messing with their ballistics and years ago Trasol went down before they did their major overhaul. With the 6DOF it just wasn't close from the time I downloaded it. Started getting emails from Lapua about the app so I opened it up to check and it seems to work fairly decent.

I've got just about every app on my phone just because I enjoy running the numbers and comparing the different apps.

If you have a favorite app, you could use one of the free ones as a backup in case of bugs but the best backup is your dope card.

Reactions: brianf
Lapua's Doppler-based 6DOF has an edge over 3DOF in two points:
- More accurate prediction of spin drift
- Prediction of stability zone for a given bullet, V0 and rifling twist. In other words -- an indication of a distance beyond which funky things (like dramatic loss of accuracy in crosswind) can happen.
Nothing else I can think of.
In practice, both of these factors are rather minor.

Contrary to some opinions expressed above, I quite like the interface, but this is entirely personal and subjective.
On the downside, the app does burn through battery charge like crazy.

In summary: it is an interesting research tool, but for the field it is not any better than good 3DOF solvers with Doppler-measured cD curves. Use it if you like the interface and have a big battery.

By the way, the finally did fix the weather bug.

I recently used it to predict 300 scenars' trajectory out to 1250 meters and I was within a .1 mil at all ranges. As mentioned above the calculator is definitely using the phone's computing horsepower, making short battery life and some delay to give results. These are the only downside I see as I personally like the interfaces and the intuitive way of adjusting variables. I look forward to using it more.