• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6GT cs 6CM from 22" barrel

Huckmeat

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2009
CO
I'm rebarreling some kind of 6 for intermediate range matches - 200-800 or 1k at the max. It is 6CM now with 1800 rounds of factory hornady 108's.

I have H4350 and varget in enough quantity to shoot either caliber for a few years, and primers and 105/109s for both. I have GT brass because it was at the local shop.

Should I go 6GT and "not worry about tuning a load" or go 6CM. Both have factory ammo if I need it. I hate figuring out loads, I just want to figure it out once, shoot, and keep reloading that load until something goes wrong. Is the extra speed from 6cm, and less barrel life worth it? I'm still the kind of shooter that takes 500 rounds on a gun/barrel to 'trust it' and know my speed/elevation is right.

That has me leaning towards 6GT.

What am I missing?

Not have to worry about tuning a load? You have to do that with whatever cartridge you load. The GT is not special. It's another cartridge. You can load down the 6 Creed to it's velocities and get more barrel life. You don't have to load it to "extra speed". Seeing as you have bought GT brass I think you made up your mind and just want people to tell you to do it.

Reactions: Davidheart
Everyone 'says' the BR variants are stupid easy and consistent to load for, and the CM takes tweaking over the life of the barrel. I imgaine that has more to do with the erosion, but if there is something that makes the BR variants more tolerant to that, that is of interest.

the 6cm is fine, i have lots of brass for that too... I guess, is the notion that the BR variants are 'easy to load for' just luck?

Everyone 'says' the BR variants are stupid easy and consistent to load for, and the CM takes tweaking over the life of the barrel

IMO, both sides are exaggerating, making the gap between the two seem overly large.

The 6CM isn’t that difficult to keep running and every load for the GT doesn’t have a 20 round ES of 5.

Does the shorter length of my barrel even play into it? If not, I'll probably just load 6CM to hornady 108 factory speeds and call it done.

If you're a handloader it's easy enough to tailor your powder selection to your barrel length (within reason), once you understand burn rate, to get the velocity you want. If you're already used to the 6CM stay with the 6CM.

Also you said you already have 1800 rounds of factory 6CM on the barrel. 2k isn't bad. I've seen threads with people claiming only 1500 rounds on a 6 Dasher and 3k on a 243. 🙄

If you need 500 rounds to feel comfortable with your barrel then shoot those 500 slowly, allowing the barrel to cool, and it'll last longer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huckmeat