• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 6GT Feed question...

Charlie112

Herd Thinner
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2017
USA
I couldn't decide where to post this, so I will try here, if wrong, please delete. Will the 6GT round feed from a push feed system instead of a mag??
Thanks

That doesn’t make any sense. Most actions are push feed, some use detachable magazines, some internal magazines, and some are single shots.

That doesn’t make any sense. Most actions are push feed, some use detachable magazines, some internal magazines, and some are single shots.
Understand, I should say from a hinge floor plate set up, no mag.. Does that help??

Ga Precision says they’ve never done one but they think it will work. I just got off the phone with them.

Ga Precision says they’ve never done one but they think it will work. I just got off the phone with them.
Thanks, that was my next place to ask, wanting to do a build and possibly use 6GT caliber and an M40 type rifle to match my M40a1....Thanks again.

Understand, I should say from a hinge floor plate set up, no mag.. Does that help??
A magazine is a magazine. It's either a blind, a floorplate, or a box type that is detachable. If the contour of the mag lips and follower match the taper of the case it will feed. Of course. it also has to match up to the feed ramp.

Added: there are other types of magazines, but I don't think they apply here.

A magazine is a magazine. It's either a blind, a floorplate, or a box type that is detachable. If the contour of the mag lips and follower match the taper of the case it will feed. Of course. it also has to match up to the feed ramp.

This.

Sandwarrior, I watched the GAP presentation on 6 GT and George was using a magazine to explain the feeding issues of some 6mm cartridges and when watching this, I was curious as if those feeding issues would be solved by a different mag, such as a floor plate, Thanks for your reply,

Sandwarrior, I watched the GAP presentation on 6 GT and George was using a magazine to explain the feeding issues of some 6mm cartridges and when watching this, I was curious as if those feeding issues would be solved by a different mag, such as a floor plate, Thanks for your reply,
I understand that. What I may not have expounded on is some rifles have the feed lips as part of the rails in the action. Obviously, that is different than a box magazine, where the feed lips and follower are in the same assembly. But, they still need to work in conjunction with each other to match the taper of the case.

Added: It doesn't have to do a whole lot with the caliber (bullet diameter), as that isn't normally a contact point during feeding of the cartridge. It has more to do with the numbers of modifications people make to the case that keep them from feeding well. 6.5 and 6mm Creed are a good example of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Charlie112