• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk 6GT freebore with 108 elite hunters

Kspence49

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2022
Wyoming
Is a 0.120 or 0.170 going to play better with the Berger 108 elite hunters? I’m in the process of putting together a 6GT for PRS next year and wanted to get ahead of the election year on all the loading components. I’m pretty confident in my bullet choice and thus I’m trying to match the barrel to the bullet.

I run the hornady and berger 109's with a .120 without issue. I run slow, so I'm not crunching powder and there's plenty of bearing surface still outside the case. I'd imagine the 108 hunter will be a similar story.

I run nothing but 109 bergers (essentially same bullet as 108 EH) with standard .120 fb. Burned up a couple barrels so far. JGS standard 6GT reamer with alpha brass. Jump them from .020 to .150 and shoot stupid small groups.

There is more than enough case capacity, in fact, you probably want a higher fill percentage all things being equal. I run H4350 but lots of guys run varget with no issues other than carbon rings.

Both will work fine. My current barrel is a .170 and it shots them well. I went .170 for use with Atips and dtacs with the goal jumping those around .060" too.

All 4 previous barrels have been .120's and saw 109 hybrids jumped .060ish