• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6GT in AR platform.

OkayshooterSK2

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2020
USA
I’m building a new PRS bolt gun in 6GT but am also interested in doing one in an AR platform. I’ve seen them in ar15 and ar10 and am curious what the best/right route would be. Thanks

Can't remember COAL on the 6gt but I can't imagine it fitting the AR15 mag restrictions.

Last edited:
That’s what I would have thought too but have seen a couple in an ar15 but I couldn’t imagine they could shrink that COAL down enough to fit them. Hell, maybe they were shooting a 6mm arc and just posted in the GT forum.

Just looked up some 6gt loads, looks like 2.55-2.58" is pretty standard. So that's a no go.
Edit: case length is 1.732". So technically the case can fit and you could probably find a bullet that seated with the ogive where you want it. But you have to find a .473 bolt face AR15 sized bolt. And get mags to work.

Last edited:
The 6BRX is about as long as you can go in an AR15 and even then you're limited to 95SMKs and under. I've been shooting one since 2009. 6.8 PRI mags work and Cavity Back bullets sells them with the front cut out to allow loading to 2.34 or 2.36"..

Well it sounds like it’d be in my better interest to just build off the AR10 platform to reduce my chance of screwing up a rifle lol

i shot a 6br on the ar15 platform. the same guy that built mine also builds them in 6 dasher. personally though with the 6gt i’d go with the larger platform. i talked to compass lake about sending them my 6xc reamer and having one built on an ar10 upper. also i will add that as much as i liked the ar15 in 6br once in a great while i had to replace an extractor. going with the ar10 platform would cure any bolt related problems.

i shot a 6br on the ar15 platform. the same guy that built mine also builds them in 6 dasher. personally though with the 6gt i’d go with the larger platform. i talked to compass lake about sending them my 6xc reamer and having one built on an ar10 upper. also i will add that as much as i liked the ar15 in 6br once in a great while i had to replace an extractor. going with the ar10 platform would cure any bolt related problems.

is this a builder? Any chance you can share who it is?

6GT in a large frame is the direction I am looking to go. Not a whole lot of info here, and I’ve had an email out to GA Precision from the holidays, but haven’t heard back yet.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
hey guys I'm sorry for resuscitating this thread.
I have been looking at a 6gt in an AR10 platform. my main concern is feeding from a mag since it's a relatively short cartridge compared to the 308 and similar ones (6.5Cm, 6Cm, 6x47, etc).
I'd appreciate if anyone has any experience w/ it or any ideas as to if it would work?
finally, you guys mentioned a builder, would you pm me?
thx a lot

I believe George Gardner of GA Precision shot an AR15 6GT at the PRS finale. I don't know if he's still here.

It was a large frame gun, not a 15. You can fit it in a 15 but only varmint bullets.

Besides him has anyone done/ran one successfully?. I keep asking because I don't want to commit if feeding will be a PITA

I know George has built several successfully at his shop. You might give GA Precision a call and ask if there's anything special about it. The only thing I can think of is the 2.5-2.6" COAL leaving a bunch of room in the front of the magazine. May or may not be a problem. Body taper on the GT isn't wildly different from other cartridges that work in P-Mags.

Right, so I guess the big question is, it’s the cartridge released from the mag lips before or after it has engaged the chamber? Not sure if what I’m saying makes sense