• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6GT Mag Suggestions

xocyrusx

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Oct 30, 2019
    Pasco County, FL
    I am currently running 6GT with a Bighorn Origin in an ACC chassis and since day one having issues with mags.

i have tried 2 x 10rnd 308 mdt poly mags and 1 x 10rnd 308 metal mag. I always had to advance every round in the poly mag and the metal mag was not 100% reliable but for the most part acceptable.

My local matches like to run higher stage round count so I wanted to add the Area 410 +4 with the 10 rnd and also the SAP 2 round. Figuring I would use 12/13 and have 2 backup. I tried adding the A419 + 4 to the 10rnd and it just didn’t work. I stretched the spring but it kept collapsing and resetting in a way.

Suggestion on a Mag I could add the A419 +4 or another mag that would work with my current setup would be greatly appreciated. I know the ARC mag was suggested as well the mdt poly metal but wondering on matching the Origin/ACC.

Thanks

From George himself:

Guys having Mag issues

Magpull
    AI AICS
    Accurate Mag AICS

These all work perfectly. No issues. If your having an issue with these is not the Mag or Ammo. It’s in the Triggerguard or Action height or misalignment.

MDT mags are problematic. Their followers stick to the rough surface of the Mag body. I spent an hour tuning one and can get them to work but it’s a pain. Some guys are reporting they work but I’ve not seen it be consistant.

AW mags, They work but your Rifle needs to be set up first for them. The latch needs to be longer and the Mag needs to be seated against the bottom of the reciever with very little or no play, You also have to have a Reviever with the Correct Mag cut in the bottom. Defiance Guardian Cut
    Impact AW Cut
    All Tempest

If you just buy a AW Mag to try in your Rifle more than likely it won’t work unless you ordered the rifle set up for them. Or have a linge

George

Reactions: tob5 and xocyrusx
    Try the accumag +419 extension. Put an empty piece of brass in the bottom of extension, then assemble. It will allow you to run 13 rounds

Thank you all for the response. Looks like I will be trying some mags. I really don't want to switch to another cartridge.

I’m using mdt 12 round mags with the feed lips adjusted. I suggest you open the front and close the rear.

Also, it helps to give the edges of the feed lips a good deburr and polish.

I’m using mdt 12 round mags with the feed lips adjusted. I suggest you open the front and close the rear.

Also, it helps to give the edges of the feed lips a good deburr and polish.

As I was looking at the mdt mag I was thinking the same thing... the feed lips front is -0.003 to the back. Sizing my the brass all though it’s not a direct correlation the bottom of the case is +.009 to the top.

my gut is telling me that the round just does not sit high enough and nose dives or goes right over the round.

Reactions: Changed
    As I was looking at the mdt mag I was thinking the same thing... the feed lips front is -0.003 to the back. Sizing my the brass all though it’s not a direct correlation the bottom of the case is +.009 to the top.

my gut is telling me that the round just does not sit high enough and nose dives or goes right over the round.

I loaded 12 Dummy cartridges to test. The round nosedives as its is pushed forward by the bolt. Close the rear until you can see the full primer, then open the front until the projectile has a an upward cant. From there it’s trial and error.

I loaded 12 Dummy cartridges to test. The round nosedives as its is pushed forward by the bolt. Close the rear until you can see the full primer, then open the front until the projectile has a an upward cant. From there it’s trial and error.
    Appreciate that. I will have to try. Would you mind maybe a pic or 2?

Small update... received my ARC 10 round mag o day and it looks promising. With no adjustments it’s running much better. Didn’t really do a full test yet as I’m waiting for an LRI follower and going to install the Area 419 +4 ext. Fingers crossed this will all be a good fit.

am running arc with no follower changes in my archimedes/xylo and no issues. i run dasher in the same with the modified follower from MK machining (they are blue). Never had issues with them in my 6 dasher tl3 or archimedes.

Small update... received my ARC 10 round mag o day and it looks promising. With no adjustments it’s running much better. Didn’t really do a full test yet as I’m waiting for an LRI follower and going to install the Area 419 +4 ext. Fingers crossed this will all be a good fit.

Have you tried with the LRI follower and extension yet?

Have you tried with the LRI follower and extension yet?
    I was able to put them all together and do some testing at home. I haven’t been able to get to the range yet with them due to some traveling.

When trying the ARC + Ext + LRI I had issues with the spring popping up on the side of the follower. I did take my best guess that I installed it right as the follower didn’t come with instructions. Due to time I didn’t reach out to LRI or research anything yet.

When trying the ARC + Ext + and ARC Red follower I really didn’t have issues as the spring attaches to the base to the bottom of the follower. It ran perfectly every time I tried it.

The LRI follower I think will run better and give me a true 14 rounds if I can figure it out. The red follower gave me 13 which is good. Both are a vast improvement over the MDT mags I tried.

Anyone that has any suggestions on the LRI follower please share as I do think it’s the way to go.

Reactions: SourGrapes
    I run arc mags with LRI followers in my GT. 2 have mk machine extentions and one has an area 419. All run perfect. It matters a lot how the spring is oriented. Ill take a picture later to show.

I dont know how much it truly matters but I think polishing the feed lips and rounding all the sharp edges makes a difference how they feed in both feel and function. Less drag means less force to feed from the lips so less leverage from the bolt face pushing the nose down. I really wish I would have tested that before I did mine because I don't have any evidence to say thats true, but I guess it probably doesn't hurt.

I run arc mags with LRI followers in my GT. 2 have mk machine extentions and one has an area 419. All run perfect. It matters a lot how the spring is oriented. Ill take a picture later to show.

I dont know how much it truly matters but I think polishing the feed lips and rounding all the sharp edges makes a difference how they feed in both feel and function. Less drag means less force to feed from the lips so less leverage from the bolt face pushing the nose down. I really wish I would have tested that before I did mine because I don't have any evidence to say thats true, but I guess it probably doesn't hurt.
    That would be awesome if you can help me with some pics. I honestly think I am just aligning it wrong. Once I get the LRI working right for sure going to try and test polishing the FL.

Reactions: AFancyPenguin
    Just finished shooting the 2020 Gap Grind, with my newly converted 6GT. I had MDT mags and they cost me at least 10pts on the first day with feeding issues. I switched to the AI AICS mags and had no further issues with feeding.

I've been running ARC with LRI followers and they feed so well. Zero issues. I haven't tried any of the Area 419 extensions yet though.

Karagias said the ARC mags won't work well if they are not clean. Does the LRI follower help it function better when it's dirty?

Karagias said the ARC mags won't work well if they are not clean. Does the LRI follower help it function better when it's dirty?

Yes the LRI follower was supposed to handle any issues. My new ARC mag with the ARC follower did not work well at all with 6GT, the feed lip kept dipping and it could get stuck just simulating pushing it up and down.

The LRI follower fixed all of that.

I did buy a used ARC mag that was well broken in, probably polished/greased or what not and that works fine. But the new one was pretty darn sticky.

I’ve been running g AICS and accurate for about a year now in my GT with zero mag issues. And coincidently I picked up 2 Area 419 4 round extensions and used them in my last match this last weekend with out any issues. Have heard nothing but horrible stories from fellow shooters who have tried the MDT in the GT.

Reactions: Red343 and tob5
    I can't say I've shot in anything some guys describe but I've been to a pretty windy match that blew a noticeable dust film on everything - no issues with my setup.

Finally took my GT for a test spin and had zero issue with the MDT 12. I did tune mine a couple years ago to, open the front of the lips and pinch the rear, with the MPA tool.

Reactions: Dooby and xocyrusx
    Finally took my GT for a test spin and had zero issue with the MDT 12. I did tune mine a couple years ago to, open the front of the lips and pinch the rear, with the MPA tool.

Thank you for the follow up. I have found after all of the mags I tried... ARC and MDT the AI mag with the 419 extension has worked the best. I feel like the spring is more balanced front to back which helps...

I never tried the mdt 12 but will keep that in mind.

Reactions: Darkside-Six
    Thank you for the follow up. I have found after all of the mags I tried... ARC and MDT the AI mag with the 419 extension has worked the best. I feel like the spring is more balanced front to back which helps...

I never tried the mdt 12 but will keep that in mind.

I've never had issues with my MDT 10 or 12 round mag with 6GT. The first few rounds always felt a little tight and required a bit more effort to cycle but never had a cycling issue. Ran 400 rounds of 6GT through my MDT mags.

The ARC mag does cycle with less effort though which I like. And is not as cumbersome.

I've never had issues with my MDT 10 or 12 round mag with 6GT. The first few rounds always felt a little tight and required a bit more effort to cycle but never had a cycling issue. Ran 400 rounds of 6GT through my MDT mags.

The ARC mag does cycle with less effort though which I like. And is not as cumbersome.

I had the same issue with 6.5 CM which lead me to “tuning” the lips. The first rounds feel great now but I don’t feel the last two until they spring into the bolt head, Origin action.

I know this is old but does anyone have updates on what magazine combos, mods work for them? I'm a recent 6GT convert put in an XLR Element 4.0 chassis
    Thanks

Cant speak on a bunch of different kinds but I’ve only ran AI and Accurate mags in mine and have had zero issues.

AI mags with 419 extension. U do need to tweak feed lips. I use same mags for gt and 6.5 x47

Both of my mags…..AI and accurate mags both have area 419 extensions and I haven’t had to do any tuning.

Man i thought ARC mags where top notch but now I'm reading otherwise. I ordered one from Area 419. Hopefully it works in my GT.

I'm running the ARC 10rd mags with the Area 419 extension in them without issue.
    Maybe I'm one of the lucky few? Don't know.