• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6GT or 6Cm

Andrew863

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2018
Russellville KY
So I'm just a few days away from ordering a barrel and I'm stuck between 6GT and 6CM and I just can't decide. I do mainly long range shooting with some friends and shoot a comp or two a year I may up that number but no more then 4 or 5. Right now I shoot 260 Remington and really like it but it would be nice to have about the same ballistics and less recoil. We shoot to a mile several times a year and one of my comps go to a mile but I think either cartridge will accomplish that close to as good as my 260. I was dead set on GT but brass and dies are a little harder to find and no factory ammo. With that said I hand load everything I shoot so it's not a huge deal but the brass part, being able to find it easy would be nice. I do hear CM can be a little picky where I hear GT is about like dasher it will shoot anything or close to it. So just really want some opinions what would u recommend for a mainly long range shooter that shoots a couple comps a year and shootsout to a mile pretty regular?

What powder do you have stockpiled? I went 6 CM because I have a stockpile of H4350 that my .260 uses and I can find 6CM ammo locally in a pinch. GA Precision has brass and dies in stock for the 6GT and will be selling factory Hornady ammo.

I think either will serve your purposes well.

For one or two comps a year and shooting out to a mile, I would say 6CM. You gain ~100fps which is very helpful at longer distances. The trade off is barrel life, but if you are only doing a couple comps a year, it seems like that would be less important. And if you want to, you can extend the barrel life to about the same as GT by shooting lighter loads and/or using H1000 instead of H4350.

If you shoot 3-5 single day matches = ~ 500 rounds plus plinking a year…..as well as the plinking/practice not being high volume and such

Then 6cm may help you hit a few edges that you’d miss since you’re not shooting a ton and thusly in tune with wind calls and such.

If it’s 3-5 two day matches = ~ 1000 rounds plus plinking/practice…..or you’re high volume practice and such

Then 6gt is better choice

Also, 6gt Hornady factory ammo is being manufactured at the moment with release being any day now.

which ever you can get the most ammo for and which ever you are ok paying for cause without ammo either gun is just a piss poor shaped club and your the one shelling out the money for it ..Best of luck with what ever you get .

What powder do you have stockpiled? I went 6 CM because I have a stockpile of H4350 that my .260 uses and I can find 6CM ammo locally in a pinch. GA Precision has brass and dies in stock for the 6GT and will be selling factory Hornady ammo.

I think either will serve your purposes well.
I have probably 8lbs of H4350 but from what I see it is a good powder for GT also. I have both large and small primers but more large, if I had to I could use some of the primers I have for my AR in a pinch. I figured more people would push 6GT but in all reality 6CM does make sense. I'm shooting about 5-600 a year plus or minus 100 right now.

I have probably 8lbs of H4350 but from what I see it is a good powder for GT also. I have both large and small primers but more large, if I had to I could use some of the primers I have for my AR in a pinch. I figured more people would push 6GT but in all reality 6CM does make sense. I'm shooting about 5-600 a year plus or minus 100 right now.
Get the creed, 3 years on a creed barrel is a loooong time.

I think H4350 is perfect in 6GT and too fast in 6CM. I have both and you can load both to do the same thing if necessary. The diffence is probably 250fps, not 100fps.

H4350 is not too fast for the 6 Creed. It's a good powder for it. You can use slower powders as some did with the .243 years back but H4350 will do well with it. It's all I have used in the .243 and 6 Creed. Does a good job with both. You can load down a little to save barrel life. The 6 Creed got it's "barrel burner" rep from when it first came out and people were still wanting to be near 3200fps in matches to shoot flat. Now with most shooting 6mms in the 2800-2850fps area if you keep the 6 Creed in those areas or even just around or under 3000fps then you will have plenty of barrel life.

H4350 in 6CM is the equivalent of Varget in 6GT. It works, it isn't ideal. I don't care how long you've used it.

• Haha
Reactions: Rob01
I think H4350 is perfect in 6GT and too fast in 6CM. I have both and you can load both to do the same thing if necessary. The diffence is probably 250fps, not 100fps.
So what do you think is the optimum powder for 6CM? I’m pretty rue H4350 is the most commonly used, although I have had decent results with H1000 in a 28” barrel (not so much in shorter barrels). I know others that use H4831SC and RL16, although I don’t think RL16 is any easier on the barrel than H4350.

So what do you think is the optimum powder for 6CM? I’m pretty rue H4350 is the most commonly used, although I have had decent results with H1000 in a 28” barrel (not so much in shorter barrels). I know others that use H4831SC and RL16, although I don’t think RL16 is any easier on the barrel than H4350.

H4831

I’ve been running a 260 ai for a while, recently added a 6GT and contemplated between the 6CM as well. My buddy runs a 6CM, speed wise we’re about 200 fps apart (2965 vs 3190).

I’ve been using 6.5 staball, which is pretty close to H4350 and been happy with the performance. I don’t miss the extra 200 fps vs the 6CM and would go 6 GT again. Alpha makes great brass for the 6Gt and Hornady has started rolling out their match loaded ammo for it. I bought 300 pcs of alpha brass, went with the mighty armory die for sizing, and Wilson hand seater. I didn’t struggle much at all to find components, although 6 CM dies are more readily available.

You know you don’t have to, and not really needed to, run a 6 Creed at 3190fps for matches. You can run it at 2960 also. Mine now with factory 108s is 2930fps in the new 26” barrel. I will load to that area also.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
I ended up with 6CM. Berger 105 hybrid ,Lapua srp brass, as of now but I'm going to drop the charge 41gr of H4350. That got me right at 3100 on a new barrel but I'm going to slow that down. CCI 41 primers , Forster ultra micrometer seating die, Forster FL custom honed FL sizing die and my LE Wilson expanding mandrel die. I'm probably going to slow the load down to around 3k maybe 2950 as long as it still groups. My first load with .030 jump and 20 rounds on the barrel gave me a .416 group. So far I'm liking 6CM.

You know you don’t have to, and not really needed to, run a 6 Creed at 3190fps for matches. You can run it at 2960 also. Mine now with factory 108s is 2930fps in the new 26” barrel. I will load to that area also.
I shoot 108's and run just a tick under 3000fps in my 6cm with 6.5staball. Pretty good

I ended up with 6CM. Berger 105 hybrid ,Lapua srp brass, as of now but I'm going to drop the charge 41gr of H4350. That got me right at 3100 on a new barrel but I'm going to slow that down. CCI 41 primers , Forster ultra micrometer seating die, Forster FL custom honed FL sizing die and my LE Wilson expanding mandrel die. I'm probably going to slow the load down to around 3k maybe 2950 as long as it still groups. My first load with .030 jump and 20 rounds on the barrel gave me a .416 group. So far I'm liking 6CM.
You can get half that group size (5 shot that is) with a 6cm. I've not run 4350 in it, just use that in my 6.5cm now. The staball works very well but i assume 4350 does too. I still have to play with it and get the SD and ES down just a touch more while maintaining my group

So I'm just a few days away from ordering a barrel and I'm stuck between 6GT and 6CM and I just can't decide. I do mainly long range shooting with some friends and shoot a comp or two a year I may up that number but no more then 4 or 5. Right now I shoot 260 Remington and really like it but it would be nice to have about the same ballistics and less recoil. We shoot to a mile several times a year and one of my comps go to a mile but I think either cartridge will accomplish that close to as good as my 260. I was dead set on GT but brass and dies are a little harder to find and no factory ammo. With that said I hand load everything I shoot so it's not a huge deal but the brass part, being able to find it easy would be nice. I do hear CM can be a little picky where I hear GT is about like dasher it will shoot anything or close to it. So just really want some opinions what would u recommend for a mainly long range shooter that shoots a couple comps a year and shootsout to a mile pretty regular?
I'd check the credentials of who ever said or wrote that, sounds like an internet ex spurt, or someone with a used car salesman mind set. Why not put a good brake on your 260 bbl. since you are already set up for it, and find a wind deflection program and run several of the 6MM bullets you are thinking about useing against the 6.5's you are using now and a couple of the 6.5 heavies at 3/4, 7/8 and 1 mile.

• Haha
Reactions: Hickswr
I'd check the credentials of who ever said or wrote that, sounds like an internet ex spurt, or someone with a used car salesman mind set. Why not put a good brake on your 260 bbl. since you are already set up for it, and find a wind deflection program and run several of the 6MM bullets you are thinking about useing against the 6.5's you are using now and a couple of the 6.5 heavies at 3/4, 7/8 and 1 mile.
Negative.

6GT loads as easy as dasher or BR with the added benefit of flawless feeding and being able to run varget and H4350.

Its a more efficent case with less air inside. Creed can be temperamental to keep running well, where as the BR style cases are about as easy as it can get reloading.

The GT is probably the best all around cartridge for PRS if starting out fresh.

I don’t find 6CM to be temperamental to load. I find it stays in tune well with both RL16 and N160 - although I’m running mild and not SnipersHide max+2 (tm) loads. Case fill hasn’t been an issue for me, unless you mean to say it takes more powder for the same output speed.

Well if that was the case nobody would be shooting BR or Dasher or GT. They would just download a 6CM to 2850 and not have any of the feeding issues of the BR class cartridges.

Its not exactly a secret.

I don’t find 6CM to be temperamental to load. I find it stays in tune well with both RL16 and N160 - although I’m running mild and not SnipersHide max+2 (tm) loads. Case fill hasn’t been an issue for me, unless you mean to say it takes more powder for the same output speed.
My 6cm wasn't what I'd call temperamental. I use 6.5staball right now with it and I'm at 2950 so not super hot like some do but it shoots pretty dang well. Honestly I'd like to have the SD where my 6.5cm is but it's not too bad. I will likely tinker with it once I'm done redoing my 308 load. Right now it's pure work and little league baseball so, not much time to do anything else.

I haven't spent much time on my 6CM, so feel free to criticize me, but just tossing together a cheap load with necked down s&b brass and Ramshot Hunter powder (not even H4350/Varget/RL16/Staball/H4831 or any of the other accuracy powders) I found a load which gave me ~.35 at 100 and 2908fps. Practicing precision brass prep and culling, bullet sorting, etc. Just shy of 100 rounds afterward and I'm still holding a standard deviation of ~4.5. This shooting separate strings on days between 54 degrees outside and 87 outside....

I'm a forum lurker, finally signed up for a SH account, but I've been a reloader for 10 years, trained by a custom ammunition maker in the very introduction of my reloading experience and then refined throughout the years on multiple cartridges. I'm confused at the complaints people provide when tuning nearly any cartridge, not just the 6CM.

I understand the "barrel burning" comments but I have a hard time buying the "inherently accurate cartridge" comments until you're at the tippy top of the competition world.

I chose 6CM partly because I could buy both SRP and LRP brass for it and load based on availability. I'm not a top 100 shooter so the 6Dasher or 6BR isn't going to make a lick of difference to me, but component availability will matter to me. A 16 year old girl seems to have no problem shooting a 6CM better than I can... and rank 31st in the country.

Shoot what makes you feel happy, feeds well, and you could easily find components for. It seems to me the Indian matters more than the horse in most cases. Nobody pays us enough to shoot guns. You may as well enjoy yourself.

Last edited: