• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mm-223 ?

NYresq

Jack Booted Thug
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2006
Long Island, NY
Anyone ever heard of necking up a .223 case to use a .243 bullet? I saw someone at the range today who had a custom varmint rig and his brass was stamped .223 but he said he necks it up to 6mm to use heavier bullets or something. he was a bit of a crabby old guy who didnt seem to want to talk much...

Anyone ever heard of this and is there a name for this round? what would you think to be the advantage over a regular .243 win??

just curious why you would want to do it other then being able to use in an AR-15 platform instead of going up to the AR-10 size..

thought?

Re: 6mm-223 ?

Its called a 6mmx45. Its a great round with less recoil and cheap to shoot. It can shoot up to a 90 gr. bullet but 85 is usually max.

Yep little recoil and he's probably getting real tight groups too. Most likely using the 6mm/.243 cal. necked-up off a .223 so can utilize bench accuracy like other similar necked 6mm. Also he can utilize the wide range of custom precision 6mm bullets out there and the flat base Berger's and custom made ones for Benchrest. For a varmint cal. using the .223 in 6mm he is getting little barrel heat and little fouling and great barrel life. For that much thought though. I would have just went 6BR cal. with a 14 or 12 twist for Varmint and really hit them harder and Faster with 6mm precision. the How-To, One hole accuracy with it has been laid down for years with it. the 6br don't get that much barrel heat either and you can really hit some screaming high Vel's with the little 6mm bullets.

I have one in a 20 inch AR. Looking back at some loads data I have laying around, I was pushing a Sierra 70 gn bullet at 3060 fps (with 26.7 gn Benchmark) and noted I didn't see pressure/add more powder. With the 77gn 224 bullets available you have to go to a 90 gm 6mm bullet to match BC. This round offered more advantages back when 223 was really being shot with lighter bullets.
By increasing bore size to the same case capacity you reduce pressures. Running a short base bullet really allows you to fill most powders to the case neck.
Think I'll dust off that upper and load some 68 gn Bergers tonight

Nice, that cartridge sounds real efficient also no slouch for total efficient use of the powder column in the equation. Your getting 3-k & then-some in Vel. too. That's Good. I am only pushing 3350 with Berger 68 grn. in a 6BR but am using 30 grn. powder of Vihtv. N-133. Lately I have been gaining a whole new respect these days for the 6mm and what's out there for cartridge to efficiently drive them .

My initial 68 gn load didn't do much. I'm hoping that since I mounted a scope too low and in a hurry that poor check weld/head placement may be to blame. Of the first 10 fired, I was able to zero and adjust elevation. Group wasn't that good a group of three and another of 2 a bit outside. I believe H4895 to be a bit slow for this. I had lower impacts and shoot on the cases. I think benchmark or 748 was a better choice. I have 40 more loaded up maybe this weekend will tell. I moved scope mounts around some. Really has me itching to sell off the AR10 and get a 6-6.5 lapua bolt gun.

Its a 6.5x47 lapua case necked down to 6mm. It can get a 105 berger bullet to 3100 FPS. Pretty effecient case. Also like 6mm BRX. A 6mm Benchrest with the shoulder blown out. Guys report once blown into shape they don't trim brass anymore. Brass trimming is the one operation I truely hate. I believe it can push a 1-5 berger to 2900+.

I believe the 6mm-223 is only good as an AR 15 round. Too many better choices for a bolt gun. When it comes to a bolt gun my buddy summed it up best. He picks the bullet he wants to shoot, and builts the gun around it.
Run the numbers a 7mm running 180's or a 6.5 with 130 to 142's and 6mm with 105 berger, 107 sierra, or the 115 DTAC.
Only site I find as useful as this one is 6MMbr.com

What were the the groups like that the "crabby old guy who didnt seem to want to talk much..."?
What type of setup did he have?

he had a heavy barrel remington action with a huge fiberglass benchrest stock and he was putting 4 or 5 rounds into the same ragged hole at 100 yards... it took him 10 minutes to fire 5 rounds, but he was still punching them in the same hole... the whole set up looked like it probably weighed a ton, but he was on a bench so I guess it didnt matter

Back in 1991 I was at the nationals at Camp Perry. The team from Puerto Rico was using this caliber in their ARs not only because it had slightly better wind bucking ballistics, but becuse they were not allowed to own a military caliber weapon.
Remember in 1991 the mouse gun was just starting to turn some heads as a match rifle and alot of barrrel twist rates and or bullt combinations were not available yet

I have a 16-inch AR in 6mmx45. It does make one hole at 100 yards, do to the light recoil with 23.0gr of H322 pushing a 65gr moly V-max. I make cases by heating the 223 neck with a propane torch for less then six seconds then press them out with Hornady die set.

In the early 1960s it was the sniper round in the M16 platform
for the Military and did not catch on.
Till the 6MM TCU Contender came out which is basicly the same round with a straight wall and neck angle change.

I want to aquire a 24-inch barrel someday and shoot the 87gr V-max that is max length that will fit into C-Products SS mag

Load data at http://www.lasc.us/RangingShotVirginValley6TCU.htm

This should of been the refit to a 6mm nato round! Seems like minimal cost to change over the platform!

I have one that I built into a Savage 12 action that was a factory 204 Ruger. It shoots very tight groups with surplus powder and 75 and 87 Vmax bullets.

It's very lacking in capacity to launch the 100's effectively compared to other 6mm cases, but with 95 Amax I can match the balllistic path of a 308 with 175's in it.

My girlfriend shoots it since she doesn't deal with recoil at all, and the 204 Ruger is a little hard on barrels for her to put 100 rounds downrange in an afernoon.

I can tell you one great thing about the 6x45 is barrel life is way better than a 243. I can't recall my exact load off the top of my head but I was getting .5 MOA right off the bat. I have a 24 SS upper and the thing is great. seems to look good on the tables out to about 300 to 400yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The_Punisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This should of been the refit to a 6mm nato round! Seems like minimal cost to change over the platform! </div></div>

+1 on that; a simple barrel change; everything else works fine; much better bang for the buck than the 6.8 Special Puss Cartridge...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krummarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The_Punisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This should of been the refit to a 6mm nato round! Seems like minimal cost to change over the platform! </div></div>

+1 on that; a simple barrel change; everything else works fine; much better bang for the buck than the 6.8 Special Puss Cartridge... </div></div>

Yeah these cartridges are incredible. Seem to be very very well balanced. Wonder if there is ever going to be factory ammo. (not that its needed its so easy to load for)

Just my thoughts...

- One of the big draws is a "wildcat" cartridge that offers advantages over the 5.56 with only a barrel change. No custom bolts, no magazine issues, typically no gas port tuning, etc, etc.
- Brass is cheap
- No fireforming, just run 5.56 throught the 6x45 sizing die and trim (Avail at Midway and many others)
- Arguably a better (and legal in most places the 5.56 is not) whitetail round
- Great bullet selection
- Typically a VERY accurate round

Just saying, thats all...
ZY

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wonder if there is ever going to be factory ammo. (not that its needed its so easy to load for) </div></div>

Pete mentioned that he is resurrecting the 6x45 cartridge in Corbon ammo. I'm anxious to see what he is able to do velocity wise.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZY100</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just my thoughts...

- One of the big draws is a "wildcat" cartridge that offers advantages over the 5.56 with only a barrel change. No custom bolts, no magazine issues, typically no gas port tuning, etc, etc.
- Brass is cheap
- No fireforming, just run 5.56 throught the 6x45 sizing die and trim (Avail at Midway and many others)
- Great bullet selection

ZY </div></div>

yeah I think the 6.45 is getting a lot of steam going becuase just 4 months ago when i got my 6x45 the dies where custom ordered from RCBS for like $150 unless I'm just stupid and didn't see them at midway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wonder if there is ever going to be factory ammo. (not that its needed its so easy to load for) </div></div>

Pete mentioned that he is resurrecting the 6x45 cartridge in Corbon ammo. I'm anxious to see what he is able to do velocity wise. </div></div>

Yeah I knew corbon was but I think its going to like 30 or 40 bucks a box of 20. I was kind of meaning reasonably priced factory ammo, 15 20 bucks a box. And I think I saw black hills was going to be loading 6x45 too but I'm not sure.

Hi i have built a few some on 9 twist barrels but also 2 with 8 twists with an 8 twist you can load the 105 A Max at 2550fps in a 20" barrel with benckmark. it is awsome in a bolt rifle and a longer mag we are also building a few 6mmTCU's they are an improved 6X45. they realy perform with any bullet they are as good with a 105 A MAx at the lower velocity as a 80gr in a 223 at 1000 yards.

Basicaly a realy good cartrige in a bolt rifle or gas gun.

6mmXC(.22-250 necked to 6mm) was used by G. David.Tubb to win the Highpower Nationals. Very effective for him out to 600yd.

My interest is for shorter distances, necking it further to 6.5mm from 250 Savage cases (It is already recognized as the .260 Bobcat, another creation of Jim Carmichael, who developed the .260 Remington as the 6.5-08/.260 Panther.).

Greg

I've been running a 6X45 in a 16" bbl AR-15 for the past 5 years, my favorite load is a 65gr VMAX and 27.5 H335.Chronographed mean average was 2950 fps in 80 degree weather.It is a pretty hot load.The barrel is a 1:10 twist stainless heavy contour,it is also the first AR barrel that Benchmark ever did.I get well under 1MOA useing an ACOG TA01 NSN,one of these days I'm going to put a higher magnification scope on it just to see how accurate it really is.I have also toyed around with some of the old school Hornaday 100gr RN bullets,they feed just fine.I was getting appx 2450fps with these.This is a great little cartridge,next upgrade will be a titanium can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr06</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZY100</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just my thoughts...

- Brass is cheap
- Great bullet selection

ZY </div></div>

yeah I think the 6.45 is getting a lot of steam going becuase just 4 months ago when i got my 6x45 the dies where custom ordered from RCBS for like $150 unless I'm just stupid and didn't see them at midway. </div></div>

I built one last year, I was shooting it in a bolt gun so I don't have to do much for case FL sizing.

I bought a Lee 223 die and ran a reamer through the thing to open it up to handle a 6mm neck. I use a Hornady 6mm Universale neck sizer die to get the necks up from 223 brass and just NS my brass.

The reamer, throating reamer, barrel blank and 2 dies were under $300

EDIT: Just to add, I spun it onto a Savage action and it's a bug shooter with 75 Vmax and 87 Vmax.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr06</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZY100</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just my thoughts...

- Brass is cheap
- Great bullet selection

ZY </div></div>

yeah I think the 6.45 is getting a lot of steam going becuase just 4 months ago when i got my 6x45 the dies where custom ordered from RCBS for like $150 unless I'm just stupid and didn't see them at midway. </div></div>

I built one last year, I was shooting it in a bolt gun so I don't have to do much for case FL sizing.

I bought a Lee 223 die and ran a reamer through the thing to open it up to handle a 6mm neck. I use a Hornady 6mm Universale neck sizer die to get the necks up from 223 brass and just NS my brass.

The reamer, throating reamer, barrel blank and 2 dies were under $300

EDIT: Just to add, I spun it onto a Savage action and it's a bug shooter with 75 Vmax and 87 Vmax. </div></div>

very nice. I'm not really that skilled at reloading I just thought a die set would be easyer. I shoot on a AR platform too. I would love to get a remington 700 and put a can on it. but thats not going to happen for a looooong time.

I saw at the shot show that black hills was introducing this as box ammo. It's probably not all that easy to find, but it may be an interesting alternative to reloading.
Also, I know that Addax Tactical, which is a Southern CA specializing in ARs is in the process of developing a 6x45 uppers in direct impingement and gas piston.
After I saw that at the shot show I was sold. Here in Commiefornia it is hard to get magazines and so for things like 6.8 we can't get the mags since there is no prebans out there. Not having to change a bolt, or mags is very appealing.
It will be interesting to see if this ever becomes a standard cartridge instead of a wildcat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tpowers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I saw at the shot show that black hills was introducing this as box ammo. It's probably not all that easy to find, but it may be an interesting alternative to reloading.
Also, I know that Addax Tactical, which is a Southern CA specializing in ARs is in the process of developing a 6x45 uppers in direct impingement and gas piston.
After I saw that at the shot show I was sold. Here in Commiefornia it is hard to get magazines and so for things like 6.8 we can't get the mags since there is no prebans out there. Not having to change a bolt, or mags is very appealing.
It will be interesting to see if this ever becomes a standard cartridge instead of a wildcat. </div></div>

Yes we need more commercial uppers. I personally would love to see a 18" chrome moly med-con upper.

I don't have a 6x45.

The .223 necked down is a 204Ruger, which shoots flatter than a 223, but exceeds the 3600 fps speed limit for Copper fouling.

The .223 works fine the way it is.

The .223 necked up is the 6x45, which does not have any real advantages over the 223. It does not have any real disadvantages compared to the .223 either.

I have many cartridges in between, but I think it is practical to jump from 177 pellet to 22LR to 223 to 243 to 270 to 7mmMag, etc, in jumps of that magnitude where the weights of the bullets almost overlap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't have a 6x45.

The .223 necked down is a 204Ruger, which shoots flatter than a 223, but exceeds the 3600 fps speed limit for Copper fouling.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Actually, that's the 20 Practical. The 20 Tactical is the 223 with the shoulder blown forward. The 204 Ruger is the 222 Rem Mag with the shoulder blown forward and necked down. </span>

The .223 works fine the way it is.

The .223 necked up is the 6x45, which does not have any real advantages over the 223. It does not have any real disadvantages compared to the .223 either.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Having shot both in fast twist bolt guns, the 6x45 is a little lacking for BC and boiler room, even more than the 223 is. It makes a nice shorter range rifle, but even with BLC-2 and a 27.75" barrel I'm hard pressed to get to 1000y supersonic with the 6x45</span>

I have many cartridges in between, but I think it is practical to jump from 177 pellet to 22LR to 223 to 243 to 270 to 7mmMag, etc, in jumps of that magnitude where the weights of the bullets almost overlap. </div></div>

Clark, I made a couple comments in the above quote that I've found differently. Notably, the actual parent cases mentioned are different.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't have a 6x45.

</div></div>

The .204 Ruger is based on the .222 Remington Magnum case.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr06</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tpowers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I saw at the shot show that black hills was introducing this as box ammo. It's probably not all that easy to find, but it may be an interesting alternative to reloading.
It will be interesting to see if this ever becomes a standard cartridge instead of a wildcat. </div></div>

Yes we need more commercial uppers. I personally would love to see a 18" chrome moly med-con upper. </div></div>

That's funny that you say that.
I've ordered one with a 18" ss barrel mated up with a VLTOR monolithic upper. It will be a little while before I get it, but when I do I will make sure to post up the results. I'm initially going with a Direct Gas system, but I may go with a Gas piston later down the road.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tpowers</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr06</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tpowers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I saw at the shot show that black hills was introducing this as box ammo. It's probably not all that easy to find, but it may be an interesting alternative to reloading.

Yes we need more commercial uppers. I personally would love to see a 18" chrome moly med-con upper. </div></div>

I've ordered one with a 18" ss barrel mated up with a VLTOR monolithic upper. It will be a little while before I get it, but when I do I will make sure to post up the results. I'm initially going with a Direct Gas system, but I may go with a Gas piston later down the road. </div></div>

did you order it complete or are you building it or having it custom built? I would love to go to a site pick my features and have it built.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr06</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tpowers</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr06</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tpowers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I saw at the shot show that black hills was introducing this as box ammo. It's probably not all that easy to find, but it may be an interesting alternative to reloading.

I've ordered one with a 18" ss barrel mated up with a VLTOR monolithic upper. It will be a little while before I get it, but when I do I will make sure to post up the results. I'm initially going with a Direct Gas system, but I may go with a Gas piston later down the road. </div></div>

did you order it complete or are you building it or having it custom built? I would love to go to a site pick my features and have it built. </div></div>

I'm having one built for me with my specifications. 10" VIS, 18" SS White Oak heavy barrel, and low profile gas block. Here is the web site:
http://www.adxtactical.com/store/pc/home.asp
Talk to Chris he's GTG

I don't think so. I know he is on Calguns though. He is based in southern CA near LA.

Isnt like Robinson Arms XCR avl in the 6x45 I think they describe it a PDW type cartrige. Would make a good dog blaster.

Dustin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tpowers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think so. I know he is on Calguns though. He is based in southern CA near LA. </div></div>

sweet maybe I'll go join them so I can personally talk to the guys see what they can offer up for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mavrick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Isnt like Robinson Arms XCR avl in the 6x45 I think they describe it a PDW type cartrige. Would make a good dog blaster.

Dustin </div></div>

would make sense considering its still a relatively small charge like 223 for the shortened systems but a bigger bullet them 223.

You can also order in a barrel from midway...they have stoner 1 in 8 twist 6x45 barrels in stock for around 219.00

I have a 6x45mm with a 8-twist, 21" med palma barrel. Shoots 107SMK's at 2600fps. Stays supersonic out to 1Kyds and the trajectory tracks very closely to a .308Win shooting 175SMK's. Very economical with next to nothing recoil (9yr old daughter shoots it no problem) <10lbs all up with scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mavrick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Isnt like Robinson Arms XCR avl in the 6x45 I think they describe it a PDW type cartrige. Would make a good dog blaster.

Dustin </div></div>

I think it's actually a .221Fireball necked up to 6mm. So it's even small than a 6x45mm.

It's actually a 6x35mm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knight's_Armament_Company_PDW

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<span style="font-weight: bold">Actually, that's the 20 Practical. The 20 Tactical is the 223 with the shoulder blown forward. The 204 Ruger is the 222 Rem Mag with the shoulder blown forward and necked down. </span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Actually the 20 Tactical has its shoulder pushed <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-style: italic">back</span></span>. It has shorter headspace than the .223 or 20 Practical.</span> </div></div>

Clark, I made a couple comments in the above quote that I've found differently. Notably, the actual parent cases mentioned are different. </div></div>

I too made one small correction.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NYresq</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone ever heard of this and is there a name for this round? what would you think to be the advantage over a regular .243 win??

just curious why you would want to do it other then being able to use in an AR-15 platform instead of going up to the AR-10 size..

thought?</div></div>

im in process of getting one built on a 700 action... the advantage over the 243 is the barrel life and its cheaper to reload <<
less powder>> im building an ultralite coyote killer
6x45 85gr- h4895 26grs 2775fps
243 100gr- h1000 42grs 2835fps
less recoil for better shot placement and bullet tracking