• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

6mm 5R rifling??

skeetlee

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Central Illinois
whats the general thought behind the 5R rifling? I am going to be buying a new 6mm barrel for a 6br and i have a chance to buy a bartlein 5R 8 twist. I can also buy a brux or a krieger with 4 grooves. Do any of you think the 5R has any advantages? Thanks lee

Re: 6mm 5R rifling??

It sells well but it is not what the BIG BOY benchrest shooters use to take home the gold. Just depends on the purpose.

I have had two Bartlien 5R barrels and like them very much. If they have an advantage it's that they are a little easier on the bullet. This may have an advantage in situations where the bullet is under alot of stress.

If I can wait for a barrel I will order a 5R.

Mike

My 6BR is about to find out. Getting ready to screw on the Bartlein 5R, 8 Twist in a few days.

A fellow shooter just started running a couple. I think they are on his Dasher and 6XC. He has reported an increase in fps since running them. Not sure exactly what he was running before.

My next 6mm barrel will be a 5R.

Not sure a difference will be shown. But I like the idea of 5R rifling. Seems easier on the bullet as mentioned above, and just plain makes more sense to me than other rifling designs.

I run them on my Rock 308, Rock 6.5 and my Bartlein 6.5
I don't know how much better or if they are, but I know I can shoot A LOT of rounds without cleaning the bore and they clean up quickly when I do.

As far as the "big boy" benchresters, they throw away barrels that I would happily shoot for thousands of rounds after they have decided they "don't shoot" anymore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As far as the "big boy" benchresters, they throw away barrels that I would happily shoot for thousands of rounds after they have decided they "don't shoot" anymore. </div></div>

This is true these guys think anything above 3/4MOA is unacceptable guy building a rifle for is one and cleans every 20 rounds no matter what.

Edit BTW he refused to use a 5R barrel and gaurentee it to shoot just for the simple fact its not being used in BR.

Different game, different equipment.

Short range benchrest shooters are running 6ppc's with 62 - 68 grain bullets in a 13.5 or slower twist and a conventional 4 groove. We have found that light for caliber, short bearing surface bullets don't respond well to 5R configurations. It appears that these bullets need the distortion caused by opposing lands to impart the necessary twist. (same applies to 30br and 224 varmint bullets)

On the other hand, most of the shooters here are shooting longer distances and will be using heavy for caliber bullets, 95 - 115 grain in 6mm. These have a long bearing surface and perform very well in 5R barrels.

Ive had a Broughton barrel with the 5C rifling. in a .243AI and i think the lack of the sharp edges on the lands gets you longer barrel life.

Im thinking the 5R is similar to the 5C, exepet with a Krieger its a cut rifled barreel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brutas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Different game, different equipment.

Short range benchrest shooters are running 6ppc's with 62 - 68 grain bullets in a 13.5 or slower twist and a conventional 4 groove. We have found that light for caliber, short bearing surface bullets don't respond well to 5R configurations. It appears that these bullets need the distortion caused by opposing lands to impart the necessary twist. (same applies to 30br and 224 varmint bullets)

On the other hand, most of the shooters here are shooting longer distances and will be using heavy for caliber bullets, 95 - 115 grain in 6mm. These have a long bearing surface and perform very well in 5R barrels. </div></div>

I have spoken to the guys at Krieger and they had a very similar stance on the issue when I was ordering a 6.5mm for a .260rem. They recommended the 4 groove.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackhawk95</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive had a Broughton barrel with the 5C rifling. in a .243AI and i think the lack of the sharp edges on the lands gets you longer barrel life.

Im thinking the 5R is similar to the 5C, exepet with a Krieger its a cut rifled barreel. </div></div>

No difference in barrel life in the real world. Things like what powder you are using, case capacity etc....will effect this more.

Some say a wider land will give more life but again there are variables to this also. Like how is the barrel made. Button rifled, cut rifled, hammer forged etc...

But for the most part conventional rifling vs. a "R" style no difference.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Hopefully I will find out later this year. Just got a Bartlein barrel delivered the other day in 6mm 8.5 twist with 5R rifling. Going to rebarrel my .243 when the barrel goes for use with the new Hornady 105 BTHP. I can tell you Bartlein barrels are the shit! Got 2 others and they are super accurate. Frank you guys do some great work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hopefully I will find out later this year. Just got a Bartlein barrel delivered the other day in 6mm 8.5 twist with 5R rifling. Going to rebarrel my .243 when the barrel goes for use with the new Hornady 105 BTHP. I can tell you Bartlein barrels are the shit! Got 2 others and they are super accurate. Frank you guys do some great work.

</div></div>
Thanks Rob!!!!!!!!!!

No, thank you Frank!! You guys do some excellent work.

I run a Bartlein 5R in my 6mm SPC and using the lightest 6mm bullets there are available with outstanding results for my predator hunting.