• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mm ARC 1-7 twist

KamronG7

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2020
Missouri
Recently just purchased a 6mm arc 18” ballistic advantage barrel in 1-7 twist.

What is the lightest bullet I would be able to shoot with this twist.

I know it’s designed for heavier bullets, but could I get away with 58, 65, 75, or 87 grain vmaxs?

Thanks in advance

IMHO, you'd probably be ok.

Hornady's data for the 6MM ARC ,.... SPECIFIC to the AR15 platform, was developed with a 7.5 twist rate.

And the difference in RPM's isn't to much more for a 7 twist.

I will say, you "might" have a issue with brand new sharp / crisp rifling in a barrel with thin jacketed Varmint bullets. And that is a big maybe... older "explosive" varmint jacketed .224 bullets ( developed for use in slower twist rates used in .22-250 and prior to fast twist rate AR's ) would spin apart fairly easily in the AR15's 1n7 twists with "new" lands.

Those early .224 varmint bullets have been since altered to withstand the added RPM's.

Last edited:
IMHO, you'd probably be ok.

Hornady's data for the 6MM ARC ,.... SPECIFIC to the AR15 platform, was developed with a 7.5 twist rate.

And the difference in RPM's isn't to much more for a 7 twist.

I will say, you "might" have a issue with brand new sharp / crisp rifling in a barrel with thin jacketed Varmint bullets. And that is a big maybe... older "explosive" varmint jacketed .224 bullets ( developed for use in slower twist rates used in .22-250 and prior to fast twist rate AR's ) would spin apart fairly easily in the AR15's 1n7 twists with "new" lands.

Those early .224 varmint bullets have been since altered to withstand the added RPM's.
Thank you for the reply! My plan is to shoot either the 103 or 108 grains at first to break the barrel in. Then I would like to eventually load some 65, 75, or 87 grain vmaxs to coyote hunt with.

Out of that barrel length you should be ok on almost everything.

The lightest bullet would be a 58 grain. Anything above that will be fine.

Any update on barrel performance? I observed a recent sale on that barrel and was curious to your experienced performance.

Blessings.

BC

Any update on barrel performance? I observed a recent sale on that barrel and was curious to your experienced performance.

Blessings.

BC
So far I’ve only been able to shoot the factory 103gr as I haven’t been able to reload any lighter stuff for it yet. Honestly haven’t been impressed with the overall accuracy. Which is disappointing because I’ve had good luck with ballistic advantage barrels in the past. I’m hoping that once I reload for it I can tighten the groups up.