• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FuhQ

Unreconstructed
Minuteman
  • Aug 26, 2013
    Your Wife's Pussy
    Wanted to make this thread for a sticky post for the load data, for those who are shooting a bolt-action 6mm ARC. @Lowlight

*** In case someone else reads this in the future, DO NOT use bolt-gun load data in a gas gun. Bolt guns can handle a lot more pressure. ***

Loaded up my first round of load development for my 16" Christensen Arms MPR. I'm running 1x fired and FL sized Hornady brass, CFE-223, CCI 400's, and Nosler 115 RDF's seated 0.007" off the lands, which works out perfectly at 1.700" in my rifle.

I'm using Hornady Match Grade (bushing) dies & shell holder, with a Short Action Customs .266" bushing, giving me around 0.0025-0.003" of neck tension.

I'm running all the way up to 29.0gr in 0.5 grain increments (first round of data is pressure baseline and finding a rough node pattern). I'll report back my findings when I get out to the range this weekend.

This is an open thread, anyone can post up their guns, load data, groups, videos, rifle experiences, or questions.

IMG_7385.jpeg
    IMG_7406.jpeg
    IMG_7245.jpeg
    IMG_7792.jpeg
    IMG_7787.jpeg
    IMG_7788.jpeg

Last edited:
    Well... I got 1 good group, the rest shot like shit... So apparently 27.0gr of CFE-223 is about max, for accuracy nodes. Even though it's not showing any signs of excess pressure all the way up to 29.0 grains. The 27.0 grain load put 4 in a 1/2" group (the first shot was a sighter for my scope, which is why it's only 4 and not 5). So, I guess it's back to the drawing board, and start working around 26.0-27.0 grains now to see what it likes. I'll find my best load, and then chrono it later.

Ballistic-X-Export-2023-04-23 14:44:34.175126.jpg

Reactions: xsn10s and BG94591
    @FuhQ Very curious what velocity factory Hornady Black gave you in that 16”. That rig looks handy
    Yeah, it's nice and compact and handy. Fairly lightweight, too.

I am not sure on the velocity, as I haven't chrono'd it, as it was not very accurate in my rifle (1.25-2" 5-shot groups @ 100). I still have 50 rounds left to blow-through to get the brass, so I suppose I could chrono some next weekend just to get an idea.

Some might consider that acceptable groups from factory ammo, but I'm not most people, and that's why I handload for everything except semi-auto pistols, and rimfires. I'm working on handloads right now with Nosler 115 RDF's and CFE223. So far I've found 1 node that's kind of hit-or-miss. It doesn't seem too overly fond of the CFE223. I might try Lever and see what I can get from it. My Grendel loves CFE223, so it kind of sucks that 6mm ARC is being so picky with it. Then again, maybe it's the barrel not being completely seasoned and broken-in yet. Only time will tell.

Yeah, it's nice and compact and handy. Fairly lightweight, too.

I am not sure on the velocity, as I haven't chrono'd it, as it was not very accurate in my rifle (1.25-2" 5-shot groups @ 100). I still have 50 rounds left to blow-through to get the brass, so I suppose I could chrono some next weekend just to get an idea.

Some might consider that acceptable groups from factory ammo, but I'm not most people, and that's why I handload for everything except semi-auto pistols, and rimfires. I'm working on handloads right now with Nosler 115 RDF's and CFE223. So far I've found 1 node that's kind of hit-or-miss. It doesn't seem too overly fond of the CFE223. I might try Lever and see what I can get from it. My Grendel loves CFE223, so it kind of sucks that 6mm ARC is being so picky with it. Then again, maybe it's the barrel not being completely seasoned and broken-in yet. Only time will tell.

Yep, anything with that kind of accuracy wouldn't be acceptable by my standards either.

I'm hoping factory Black shoots well with velocity around 2540fps in my 16.5" bolt action that isn't finished yet.

Following your developments.

Reactions: FuhQ
    Yep, anything with that kind of accuracy wouldn't be acceptable by my standards either.

I'm hoping factory Black shoots well with velocity around 2540fps in my 16.5" bolt action that isn't finished yet.

Thanks. If you want to see a bunch of different guns, cartridges, and suppressor content, I have lots of it on my YT channel. Feel free to check it out. And if you like what you see, hit the like button, sub, and share. 👍🏼

Not bolt but fwiw.
    Seekins AR and 18” Shaw 1:7.5
    Magnetospeed V3

3/21/23
    60F 20% 30.34 in
    Hornady Black 105 BTHP
    2512, 2554, 2559, 2558, 2532,
    2556, 2536, 2545, 2547, 2550
    SD 13.9

IMG_9103.jpeg

2 groups out of a 20” Howa Mini, I wrote the speeds on the target. This was with a VX3HD 3-9, I have since changed the scope. Chrono’d with a Labradar. If I recall correctly, it was a clear 45 degree day.

View attachment 8131995
    2 groups out of a 20” Howa Mini, I wrote the speeds on the target. This was with a VX3HD 3-9, I have since changed the scope. Chrono’d with a Labradar. If I recall correctly, it was a clear 45 degree day.

Awesome TY. Looks like 2540fps will be close for my 16.5” and Black 105g stuff

Next round got loaded up last night... Going to test from 26.5 to 27.5 in .2 increments. Going to find that sweet-spot for this rifle. Apparently since Christensen cuts their damn throats super short, I'll be getting good velocity, but have to seat the bullet really deep into the case, which takes up a lot of powder room, but since that is the case, that short throat increases pressures, so I don't need as much powder to achieve good velocities. Once I find the load it likes, I'll chrono and report my findings.

Last edited:
    Reactions: SkyScrapin
    Got invited by a fellow hide member and friend to go shooting at his place. Took it out to 600 after rezero since I moved back to sea level from the mountains. StrelokPro says one thing and the rifle says another, seemed I was .5 mil high at 600, made the correction and made hits. It’s turning into one of my favorites. As soon as I get settled, I’ll start reloading for it, 88 hammer hunters.

Reactions: Capt45 and FuhQ
    I am a little interested to see what a 26" barrel will do with 108-115grn bullets. Wonder if it will get in the 2750-2800 range.

@Rob01 I'm relatively confident you'll get over 2750fps with 26" of barrel.

My 18" gasser goes 2500fps on the nose with 18" of barrel.

I'm betting my 16.5" will go 2540fps. Add 10" and 20fps per inch and you're there.

All factory loads.

Reactions: Rob01
    Ahh ok the factory ammo being an option is nice.

Yeah even if it’s not up there for speed as they load it for AR it would still work well for some matches.

@Rob01 I'm relatively confident you'll get over 2750fps with 26" of barrel.

My 18" gasser goes 2500fps on the nose with 18" of barrel.

I'm betting my 16.5" will go 2540fps. Add 10" and 20fps per inch and you're there.

All factory loads.

Good info. Would be interested to hear from someone with a 26” bolt gun shooting the 108 Hornady load how it does. Would be nice for a factory option and then have loading for the option on that fire formed brass.

@Rob01 my CD teammate is getting 2700 out of a 22" gas gun with the hornady factory 108 ammo.

Thanks. That’s good info. If a 22” gas gun is getting that then a 26” bolt gun should be a little faster.

Thanks. That’s good info. If a 22” gas gun is getting that then a 26” bolt gun should be a little faster.

Yes sir. I imagine you can get in the 2800 range. You might get ahold of Kenny at Desert Precision, I think he and Ray ran arcs two years ago at Team Safari.

The only powder i've had success above 2800 fps for the heavies (105, 108 or 110 A-TiP) has been with H4895. Running a 24" 1-7 twist barrel. With that said, it does not mean that i load to those velocity's.
    I do have one load (Lapua 105 HPBT Scenar) that shoot pretty well at 2831 fps with sd's of 2.2.
    Lapua 105gr HPBT OTM Scenair.jpgAt Range 1.jpg

H4895 is a little faster than VV135 but close. I wonder if VV135 would work with the heavies?

26" Proof TL3 prefit does 2746 fps with 28 grains of Varget, and Fed 205. It absolutely hammers.

Which bullet do you use?

Have you ever shot factory ammo through the rifle?

Factory ammo varies from 2800 to 2850 depending on the lot, but I don't shoot it anymore. Forgot to add bullet. Went back and did that.

Thanks for the info. Might just mess with the ARC next year after all.

Thanks for the info. Might just mess with the ARC next year after all.
    It's fun. Zero recoil. So far I'm not having the best luck with mine as far as consistnency with groups, but I think maybe the barrel needs more shots to finish breaking in. If it doesn't start settling soon, I'll be calling Christensen to send it back for a new tube...

Yeah I am thinking getting some black friday mags and starting to put it together with my TL3 in a Manners TCS with a PVA Osprey barrel in Comp Contour at 26" with a Jet 4 brake so recoil should be minimal. Next year will be fun. lol

Yeah I am thinking getting some black friday mags and starting to put it together with my TL3 in a Manners TCS with a PVA Osprey barrel in Comp Contour at 26" with a Jet 4 brake so recoil should be minimal. Next year will be fun. lol
    Use the MDT AICS 12rd mags. They’re phenomenal. 👍🏼

I have a 26” Proof prefit on an Origin action that averaged 2727 fps with Hornady Match and 2744 fps with Hornady Black, both were 10 shot groups. I’m loading a Berger 105 boat tail target bullet at 2845 fps.

Reactions: FuhQ and Rob01
    I have a 26” Proof prefit on an Origin action that averaged 2727 fps with Hornady Match and 2744 fps with Hornady Black, both were 10 shot groups. I’m loading a Berger 105 boat tail target bullet at 2845 fps.
    How are you liking the Proof barrel? Did you go with a 1:7 or 1:7.5 twist?

I have the 7.5 twist. I like the barrel a lot, it shoots the factory ammo very well and hand loading for it has been easy. The competition contour is pretty heavy and with a brake on it recoil is nonexistent. The shouldered prefit was super easy to install, spun it on, torqued with an action wrench and headspace was right on.

Reactions: FuhQ and Rob01
    I'm going to use some super heavy duty bore scrubber, and see if that helps, and then try 1 more powder, and if I can't find a good/consistent load in 50 more rounds, then I'm contacting CA to have them rebarrel it. This thing is getting annoying. I've never had a rifle this picky...Not even cheap factory steel barrels.

Talked with Josh @bohem and getting my 6mm ARC barrel ordered up. Still in the process of putting together the other parts so not really in a rush but really looking forward to getting it together and having some fun with it. Decided to go with some cool fluting that PVA is offering now so will get some pics up when it comes in. Been so happy with the other 6mm Creedmoor Osprey barrels I have used that they were an easy choice for this rifle.

Update from yesterday... I have now found a couple new things with my load development...

1.) My rifle does NOT seem to like CFE-223, and I had better luck with LeverEvolution yesterday (continuing testing today).

2.) My barrel likes to be pushed to the ragged edge of sanity when it comes to powder charges. I might end up having to try Varget to get enough velocity out of a non-compressed load.

3.) My barrel was super filthy after shooting those 200 rounds of factory Hornady, mixed with some load development. Factory Hornady Black and Precision Hunter ammo is nasty! I pushed more carbon out of that bore than I have from a rifle in a long time.

4.) I think the barrel is just taking forever to settle-in with groups, and is still kind of breaking-in...Hopefully it's settled now.

It shot its best group at 30.0 grains of Lever. Which is REALLY close to ejector swipes. There were no swipes, but the primers were cratered and had sharp edges where it flowed into the firing pin hole. But it shot a 1/2" 5-shot group. We'll see if this trend continues today.

Fixing to head out to the range now, will report back this evening with my groups today with Lever.

Let us know how Varget works if you ever try it.

I am also wondering if anyone has ever tried VV powders like N135 or N140 which is in those burn rates.

Updates from today... Still not happy with the results, should be damn 1/2" gun for the MSRP, and my other 4 CA rifles shoot really good (1/4 to 1/3 MOA with handloads), but I guess you win some, you lose some. I guess no matter what, it's always going to be a "just barely sub-MOA" shooter... 🤦🏼 Granted, with factory ammo, it is NOT sub-MOA, so I might call CA and and send the fucker back and get it rebarreled and tested and proven before it leaves their factory.

Yesterday and today's best groups with the Nosler 115 RDF and LeverEvolution powder...

Ballistic-X-Export-2023-05-14 18:03:37.658545.jpgBallistic-X-Export-2023-05-14 18:07:12.729460.jpg

Here's a couple groups today with the final rounds of factory Hornady Black and Precision Hunter I had left just for shits and giggles... These are the 2 best groups I've ever shot with it in 200 rounds of factory ammo... NOT sub-moa. 😐

Ballistic-X-Export-2023-05-14 18:11:16.910828.jpgBallistic-X-Export-2023-05-14 18:15:13.970556.jpg

Yeah I would get that looked at. I wouldn’t be happy.

Yeah I would get that looked at. I wouldn’t be happy.
    It has consistent fliers. Like, it'll group a nice group near the bull, and then it'll put 2 or 3 in a nice little group off somewhere else. OR, it will shoot a nice 3-shot cloverleaf, and then throw 1-2 random goddamn fliers out into left-field somewhere for no reason. It's pretty annoying.

I've been doing this a long time, and I've never owned a rifle that would put down 2 separate groups on the same target out of the same set of shots? It's weird. It does is almost every group like that. I honestly have never encountered this personally. I've seen other people's gun do it, but had no idea what caused it? Any ideas? 🤷🏼

Could it be the scope having an issue? It's a Kahles K624i...I mean, it's an alpha-tier scope sitting in ARC M-Brace rings, that's pretty much brand new. Everything is tight, and it holds a pretty consistent zero. First shot is almost always near the bull...But the follow-ups are a complete crap-shoot where they'll land...

For example... Here's a couple from yesterday...

IMG_8316.jpegIMG_8329.jpeg

Last edited:
    Pull the barreled action out and reset it and torque it. I have seen rifles do that with issues in the barreled action to stock fit.

Also have you shot it without the suppressor?

Pull the barreled action out and reset it and torque it. I have seen rifles do that with issues in the barreled action to stock fit.

Also have you shot it without the suppressor?
    No, haven't shot it without the can. But that can has been shot a lot, and proven to be straight, and has never affected any other rifle's groups... I suppose I should give that a try. I will definitely remove the barreled action and retorque for sure.

Yeah might be the can to barrel connection so might not be the can. Best to try everything before calling them as they will ask you the same things I am sure.