• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mm ARC - Bolt Guns

maksim

Private
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2009
Hey guys! Getting two guns built in 6mm ARC. Awaiting my dies, brass and bullets from Hornady, including the 6mm A-Tips.

Anyone have any data yet for bolt guns?
Will be a 22" 1 in 7.5 CF wrapped barrel.
In an AICS chassis so OAL should not be an issue.

My goal is to get 3,000 FPS out of it... possible?

I already have a 6.5 grendel bolt gun wouldn’t mind trying out the arc at some point in the future. Wonder who’ll jump first on prefits for that chamber.

I think you'll max out at around 2,800 fps with 110's in that cartridge. Why buy a tiny cartridge and then try to push it so hard to just reach an arbitrary velocity goal?

Do you know there is a cartridge called a 6 Creedmoor that can do what you want? It has great factory ammo available, tons of magazines to choose from, a more common bolt face, etc...

I get wanting to try the latest and greatest, but your velocity goal is totally ridiculous and could be dangerous. You'll likely be trashing brass in one or two firings to try to get 3,000 fps with such a short barrel. Maybe add a foot to that barrel and then you might get there.

I think you'll max out at around 2,800 fps with 110's in that cartridge. Why buy a tiny cartridge and then try to push it so hard to just reach an arbitrary velocity goal?

Do you know there is a cartridge called a 6 Creedmoor that can do what you want? It has great factory ammo available, tons of magazines to choose from, a more common bolt face, etc...

I get wanting to try the latest and greatest, but your velocity goal is totally ridiculous and could be dangerous. You'll likely be trashing brass in one or two firings to try to get 3,000 fps with such a short barrel. Maybe add a foot to that barrel and then you might get there.
FB6FB520-FA59-4849-B42B-C08A0D9002F5.gif

Reactions: KCHORRO and maksim
I have a Proof 16" barrel chambered in 6PPC, and currently am considering reaming my chamber to the ARC. Looks like it will clean up and then I have cheap factory ammo, and a standardized set of dies and brass. Hope to find a reamer to rent soon to give it a try.

Reactions: maksim

You are QUITE right that there are far easier ways of reaching it... and I pulled 3,000 fps from where I feel I would need to be for my comfort zone for a crazy goal?

Doing more digging I am getting to the point where yes, I doubt I will see 3,000 fps with 108/110s.

What the goal is, and yes, totally idiotic, but to make this into a 1 mile gun, and to stay supersonic out to about 1500 or 1,600 on the East coast, at about 1,000 ft elevation.

Although playing with the calculators, it seems like the difference downrange will only be about 50 fps or so.

You are QUITE right that there are far easier ways of reaching it... and I pulled 3,000 fps from where I feel I would need to be for my comfort zone for a crazy goal?

Doing more digging I am getting to the point where yes, I doubt I will see 3,000 fps with 108/110s.

What the goal is, and yes, totally idiotic, but to make this into a 1 mile gun, and to stay supersonic out to about 1500 or 1,600 on the East coast, at about 1,000 ft elevation.

Although playing with the calculators, it seems like the difference downrange will only be about 50 fps or so.

Reactions: maksim

That Hornady propaganda is really working on you.

I'm hoping for 2800 out of a 24" from my origin. Good coyote and short range deer round I'm hoping

I started hunting whitetail with a 6.5 Grendel after ramping down from a 6.5 SAUM, 243AI, 6 Creed and finally after just blowing up meat, I began using a 6.5 Grendel. Perfect. 100gr BT's at 2700 out of a 20" bolt gun. I use BR mag kits in a TL3. How do you plan on feeding it?
Probably same mags

My goal is to get 3,000 FPS out of it... possible?

No. Not at 60,000 PSI. In a 22" barrel you might get 2800 safely. You might be able to get 2850-2875 without visible pressure signs, but you will definitely be in the 65-70ksi range. Most of the time visible pressure signs show just over 70ksi.

If you want speed, upping barrel length to 26" is a free 80-100fps.

Reactions: reubenski
For those shooting the Hornady 105 BTHP Black ammo: The 105 BTHP ammo is to long. Hornady is aware of it now after one of our customers discovered the issue and we confirmed it along with several other users and manufacturers barrels. You will likely be in the lands and grooves. Your going to have to reseat the 105 to 2.1 COAL from the factory 2.247 or 2.25. This is not a chamber issue, only the first two batches of ammo. The new ammo will be set to 2.22 COAL on any future batches. If you have dies for 6.5 or 6mm you can reseat the ammo and it works fine. Our 24" at 575 yards was doing a .17 MOA, the ammo is good, just to long.

Reactions: reubenski
For those shooting the Hornady 105 BTHP Black ammo: The 105 BTHP ammo is to long. Hornady is aware of it now after one of our customers discovered the issue and we confirmed it along with several other users and manufacturers barrels. You will likely be in the lands and grooves. Your going to have to reseat the 105 to 2.1 COAL from the factory 2.247 or 2.25. This is not a chamber issue, only the first two batches of ammo. The new ammo will be set to 2.22 COAL on any future batches. If you have dies for 6.5 or 6mm you can reseat the ammo and it works fine. Our 24" at 575 yards was doing a .17 MOA, the ammo is good, just to long.
There’s a post on SH now about someone jamming a bullet and it sticking on extraction.

Reactions: Lunchbox27
Update, I reamer my 6ppc proof carbon barrel to 6mm ARC. Did it by hand. Test fired it today and got honest 1/2 inch groups at 100yds for 5 shots. Didn't chronograph it yet.

Just found this thread. Any of you fellers tried running the 90 grain Eld-x in the 6 arc?