• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mm ARC

SixFive-O

Private
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2022
Minnesota
A thread for all things related to reloading 6mm ARC.

I'll start.

Just got an email today, September 30, 2022, from Forster saying their 6mm ARC dies are finally available.

=======================================
Dear Valued Customer,

I wanted to email and inform you that we now have available the 6MM ARC dies that you had inquired about. We are offering a Full Length Sizing die, Bench Rest Seating die, Ultra Micrometer Seating die and a Bench Rest Die set in this caliber. To order these dies you can check with one of our distributors, order through our website or give us a call and we will be able to place the order for you.

If you choose to order through our website the links below will direct you to the product page and you will be able to order directly from that page.

Full Length Sizer - https://www.forsterproducts.com/product/full-length-sizing-dies/
Ultra-Micrometer Seater - https://www.forsterproducts.com/product/bench-rest-ultra-micrometer-seater-dies/
Bench Rest Seater - https://www.forsterproducts.com/product/bench-rest-seater-dies/
Bench Rest Die Set - https://www.forsterproducts.com/product/bench-rest-die-sets/

Thank you for your interest in Forster Products and if you have any questions, please let us know!
=======================================

We need a stickied 6arc thread for reloading data. I'll start with my current load development and gun setup.

I built a 24" ballistic advantage 6 arc gasser, barrel is 1/7t, with rifle length gas system. I started with some hornady 108 eld match ammo, shooting 2642fps average, and my groups were about 1 1/2" at 100 yards, which is not good enough for me.

So i bought some Hornady match grade dies with micrometer seater, prepped some of the once fired brass and loaded up some 112gr barnes match burners. I am switching to the match burners for my 6gt, and i want to try and keep both the 6gt and 6arc running the same bullets.

My starting loads was using cfe223, br4 primers, 112gr match burners, and once fired hornady brass.

27gr cfe223, br4, 112gr MB, 2414fps average velocity
27.5gr cfe 223, br4, 112gr MB, 2460fps average velocity
28gr cfe223, br4, 112gr MB, 2507fps average velocity

Hodgons app says 28.2gr of cfe 223 is max load, i am showing no pressure signs at 28gr, and the gun seemed to group the best with this load. My Kestrel is showing the bullet going transonic around 1200yards.

Attachments

• BAF75862-C185-4BA0-B6AA-ACA5D23F33D3.jpeg
    BAF75862-C185-4BA0-B6AA-ACA5D23F33D3.jpeg
    679.7 KB · Views: 93
I need to buy 6ARC dies but I haven’t, because I’m not really sure I haven’t already bought them.

I think that means I have too much stuff in my house.

Just when I had convinced myself that I really hadn't bought anything, last night at the bench I reached over to put something else new on the stacks of die boxes, and looking back at me, upside down, is a set of new 6ARC dies. "Oh, I DID buy them. Eww... I bought THOSE?" I guess they were all that was available. And there goes my excuse for dragging my feet on reloading them.

For shorter (18”) barrels, what do you guys find to be the sweet spot in terms of bullet weight vs velocity?

I know that everyone wants to shoot the heavyweights, but 95gr Bergers from my 18” proof shoot the most consistent. No idea what that velocity is, but with 28gr of cfe223, it shoots like a laser.

Reactions: Heretic
For shorter (18”) barrels, what do you guys find to be the sweet spot in terms of bullet weight vs velocity?
All depends on the distance you'll be shooting. That matters more no matter the barrel length. Also depends on how fast the barrel is. Some of the 18" Proof speeds that have been posted in the big 6ARC thread are less than 50fps under 22" barrels using factory 108 & 105.

95 Berger VLD's give me + 150fps over Berger 105 Hybrids & +200 over the Berger 109's.

For 700 and under like a local match I'll give up BC for less time of flight with the 95's. For longer range matches 1000yd + or a lot of stages past 700 I'd go with either 105 or 109's.

Reactions: Bluedog82
All depends on the distance you'll be shooting. That matters more no matter the barrel length. Also depends on how fast the barrel is. Some of the 18" Proof speeds that have been posted in the big 6ARC thread are less than 50fps under 22" barrels using factory 108 & 105.

95 Berger VLD's give me + 150fps over Berger 105 Hybrids & +200 over the Berger 109's.

For 700 and under like a local match I'll give up BC for less time of flight with the 95's. For longer range matches 1000yd + or a lot of stages past 700 I'd go with either 105 or 109's.
Thanks for the reply. I’m looking at a Wilson Combat 18 so I was just curious.

Anyone loading for a gas gun in ARC? I'm curious if anyone is having success without crimping.