• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mm ARC

danr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2006
s. texas
How are your ARC’s doing? Has the cartridge performed to your expectations? Looking for some feedback. Thanks

Reactions: 338dude
I use it for targets. So far it is way more precise than my abilities. Sub moa groups at 200yds, with most sub .75moa. And this is with factory ammo and an 18” Odin barrel.

I’ll hunt with it when I can get some solid copper loads. I don’t reload so am at the mercy of Hornady for ammo.

I’ve shot the 6ARC for just over a year now and the accuracy is very good using the Proof research barrels. Tried 14.5 and the ballistic performance was not very good past 250yds. The bullets did not mushroom/expand. Went to a 16in and they did perform better.

The 18in and 20in was leaps and bounds ahead of the 16in. Each bullet expanded perfectly in gel. (106gr)

I’ve shot the 18 and 20in to 1000yds and it’s not an easy task but it can be done.
600-750 is a more consistent range.
It’s a good replacement for 556.

My arc has been awesome, 20” faxon fluted barrel. Super accurate and fun to shoot.
Took it out to 1,300 this weekend with no issues in pretty heavy wind. Would have kept going to attempt a mile but lost my spotter. Did plenty of shooting from 500 to 1,000.

Have taken a few decent sized hogs with it as well and hit pretty hard. Very impressive what it is able to do in such a small package.

Pardon my ignorance but are all 6ARC barrels headspace to the type II (0.136 depth) bolts? No concern similar to the 6.5 Grendel with 0.125 vs 0.136 bolts?

Pardon my ignorance but are all 6ARC barrels headspace to the type II (0.136 depth) bolts? No concern similar to the 6.5 Grendel with 0.125 vs 0.136 bolts?
May depend on barrel maker but 0.136 is the norm it seems.

Reactions: rpoL98 and yej0001
How are your ARC’s doing? Has the cartridge performed to your expectations? Looking for some feedback. Thanks

Here's a thread on rokslide forum that answers your question.

Anyone loading for a gas gun in ARC? I'm curious if anyone is having success without crimping.

Going good.
Aero 6mm ARC 2560.jpg

The cartridge is awesome, yes. The match 223 gets zero time anymore. In fact, it's probably just gonna get morphed to a recce.

Anyone loading for a gas gun in ARC? I'm curious if anyone is having success without crimping.
No crimping here. Been reloading for my 18” CF Proof since September. It loves 95gr Bergers and 107SMK’s. Both shoot well below 1/2” most days. The factory ammo has been pretty spotty for me with the 108’s doing the best at about .75-1” at best.

Going good.
View attachment 8065317
The cartridge is awesome, yes. The match 223 gets zero time anymore. In fact, it's probably just gonna get morphed to a recce.
After getting my arc bolt gun, I dont use my 223 anymore. Its a 18" rainier UM mk12, shoots pretty good, but the arc is just better.

Ive debated on switching it to either an AR 6mm, or throwing a 14.5" on it and putting it with the other "go to" rifles.

I took my 18" savage out today to test 8208 and lever powder with 107 Smk. I loaded up to max or .2 over on both charges in starline brass.

27.3 of 8208 @ 2.26" got me 2613 fps.
31.2 of lever @ 2.26" got me 2792.

zero pressure signs... The fact that I can take something that is meant to be loaded in an AR, and run almost the same powder as my 223 (23.4 8208 under a 77smk at 2728 fps)
and push a 30 gr heavier bullet, faster, is awesome!!!

No crimping here. Been reloading for my 18” CF Proof since September. It loves 95gr Bergers and 107SMK’s. Both shoot well below 1/2” most days. The factory ammo has been pretty spotty for me with the 108’s doing the best at about .75-1” at best.
What powder are you using?

I'm 60rds in with Hornady Black out of a 20" Proof. My 5 shot groups are an embarrassing 1.25-1.5" when my bolt actions I use for PRS are 0.5" easily. Going to get to 200rds (40 more rds of black and 100rds of factory ELDM) before I judge it and tear it apart for inspection.

I'm 60rds in with Hornady Black out of a 20" Proof. My 5 shot groups are an embarrassing 1.25-1.5" when my bolt actions I use for PRS are 0.5" easily. Going to get to 200rds (40 more rds of black and 100rds of factory ELDM) before I judge it and tear it apart for inspection.
I’m assuming AR platform?
If you know anyone with a reloading press you could seat the bullets a little further or longer (if they have a 6mm collet to pull them) and see if that makes a drastic difference that Morning Would experienced.

I’m assuming AR platform?
If you know anyone with a reloading press you could seat the bullets a little further or longer (if they have a 6mm collet to pull them) and see if that makes a drastic difference that Morning Would experienced.
Yes AR platform. Nah, going to use factory Black to break it in then switch to factory Match for the 1st couple of matches until I get to 400 pieces of brass only.

Reactions: 338dude and db2000
I took my 18" savage out today to test 8208 and lever powder with 107 Smk. I loaded up to max or .2 over on both charges in starline brass.

27.3 of 8208 @ 2.26" got me 2613 fps.
31.2 of lever @ 2.26" got me 2792.

zero pressure signs... The fact that I can take something that is meant to be loaded in an AR, and run almost the same powder as my 223 (23.4 8208 under a 77smk at 2728 fps)
and push a 30 gr heavier bullet, faster, is awesome!!!
I’d been waiting to see some solid xbr data with the 100gr+ projectiles. Do you feel you could push the xbr a little more? Was the max xbr load pretty compressed? I am kinda hoping to end up around 2750ish with the 108eldm and an 18” barrel. I am having my bolt 223 turned into an arc and have lots of xbr I’m hoping to use in it. I am planning to load a little longer than the sammi oal, I’ve never handled an arc so it’s all new to me. Thanks and sorry for the question overload!

It wasn’t compressed but I don’t see any way to get those speeds you’re wanting with xbr and a 18” barrel.
I have like 15 lbs of 8208 and the on out thing I have left to shoot it is a 223 lol.

do you have any plans to check loads above the book max? If I don’t think I can get to 2700 with the 18” I will either change the order to 20” or live with about 2625-2650 top end. I will be shooting it suppressed which in my non scientific tests with 223 and 6.5 adds ~20-25fps.

Hornady 6 ARC brass, 95 Berger, 450, 28gr CFE23, loaded to 1.65BTO. Hope that helps. I have burned thru a metric ton of components, so let me know if you have any questions. Have shot everything from 58gr to 115gr With this cartridge and a bunch of different powders.
You tried Berger 6mm 105 and 109s in the 6ARC?

With an 18” I’m think 103-110 will probably be the sweet spot for velocity vs BC?

Just new here. Wanted to share the Frankenstein that's shooting pretty good. I've got a gas issue to try and work out. So I was only shooting 3 shot groups to start and then moving to 5. The squares on the paper are 1x1". Ammo was Hornady Black. Shots taken off Magpul bipod with rear bag. Pics of the rifle to come soon. :)

Build:
Aero Enhanced Upper and 15" Enhanced rail
Aero M4E1 lower
Aero Adjustable gas block
Aero melonite gas tube
Shaw 18" straight fluted barrel
Dead Air single port brake
Dead Air Sandman-S
LaRue MBT-2S
Stoner Lower parts kit
Stoner buffer tube
JP silicon buffer spring