• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mm barrel with 115 DTAC's?

marku

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2008
Illinois
Ive got a encore 209x50 and I want to get a rifle barrel for it so I can shoot it more often. I am looking at 2 choices, the 6mm Remington ackly improved or the bigger 6mm-06 ackly improved. Im wanting to shoot 115 gr Dtac for coyote's and even possibly in the future going on a Antelope hunt out west. Who makes the most consistantly accurate .243 bore barrel out there? Im thinking of going Bartlin or Broughton with 5r profiles. There a company where you can send them a barrel blank and they will chamber it and weld on the lug for a encore frame. I would love to have a 28" ABS carbon fiber wrapped Broughton with a muzzlebrake on it. I would like to have it in a heavey barrel version but also keep the weight down for hunting thats why im lookin at a ABS carbon barrel.

Re: 6mm barrel with 115 DTAC's?

Thanks for the reply. OTT (On target tech) is the place that makes the EDM cut chambered barrels for the encores. The article they've got on 6mmBR shows them to be very accurate for the encore barrels.

Pick a contour that is the weight you want. Skip the carbon wrapped barrel, is a waste of $. Hell, get two standard barrels in desired contour instead of one carbon wrapped barrel.
If you just MUST have the LCCDI factor, than waste money on a carbon wrapped barrel.

243 AI is plenty hard on barrels, can't see any real appreciable gain to going 6mmAI or 6-06AI. 243AI w/28" barrel will push a 115 plenty hard, 6 or 6-06 AI won't gain you enough to make up for a bad wind call but will take more powder and eat barrel faster.

I just got my Broughton 5C barrel .243AI running and its shooting very well..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marku</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I would like to have it in a heavey barrel version but also keep the weight down for hunting thats why im lookin at a ABS carbon barrel. </div></div>

TAA - DAAAAA....

grin.gif

ABS 243AI, just not on your TC

2008_Whitetail_243_AI.JPG

I'm kind of in the same boat I just picked up a remington 721 in 30-06 and soon plan to pull the barrel and stock off to build a 6mm-06. I have a 28 inch light benchrest barrel in 1-9 twist that was chambered in 6mm with decently low round count. This rifle is going to be used mainly as a long range coyote slayer. Has anyone here ever ran one and know where I can get dies and what not.