• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mm cartridge for new (rifle) reloader?

oldnewguy

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2021
TX
I recently picked up a T1X and have had a blast with it, and I'd like to get a similar centerfire rifle to shoot at some longer distances. Probably a Tikka T3 with a prefit barrel in a KRG Bravo. And I've been reading as much as I can regarding ballistics and cartridges.

But I'm completely new to reloading rifle ammo. I've been loading for my handguns for several years now, on a Dillon 550 and 1100. I understand rifle is a different process, and some cartridges seem to be easier to load, or dial in loads for. From what I've read, 6BR and Dasher would suit my needs just fine (ballistically). And it looks like new brass is available for both. Starting out, would one be preferable to the other? I was also considering something like 6CM, just because it sounds like there are less magazine and feeding issues. And I'm open to other suggestions as well.

Thanks!

I'm running a tikka t3 with bugholes 6br prefit in a mdt acc chassis. It runs butter smooth with the mdt 6br mags.

The 6br is so easy to load for. I have not experience with dasher.

Vote for 6 Creed. Very similar to 6XC. Capacity to hot rod heavies yet can still load down and be extremely accurate.

If you run a mag kit then the feed issues with a br case go to 0 so dont worry about it, just buy the primal rights aics kit and be worry free. Or run a br mag. Several ways to not run the wrong mag set up for the situation.

I have a 6 creed and a 6 dasher. Both are easy to load for and both have positives and negatives. BR cases have more scarce powder selections in the current climate, creed has shorter barrel life which can pose its own sourcing issues.

I say if you have a spring ejector then go creed (tikka is spring ejection), if you have mechanical ejection go br based. Thats based on extraction and ejection, not feeding.

Hmm, I hadn't heard any mention of ejection issues. I do plan on starting with a Tikka action to build on.

I've got a bunch of Varget and H4350, so powder isn't a deciding factor. Although the barrel life does make me lean towards to 6BR as well.