• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mm Creedmoor with 1-14 twist

Kever

Private
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2021
Missouri
I ended up getting a new barrel from a local gun smith on a trade it's a 27in brux 6mm with a 1-14 twist.
Has anyone built a Creedmoor on this slow of a twist barrel for like 65grain bullets?

14?! No way you're stabilizing that bullet.

1712868277141.png

Even at 3300 fps you're not even marginally stable.

If you do a creedmoor you’re going to want a short throat. The saami chamber throat will be really long for the light bullets. You will be ok with 65gr and lighter bullets. You should be able to get 3750 fps+ with 65s. I would load the 58gr vmax to be on the safe side. You should be around 4000 fps with the 58s. I have an 18” 6 creedmoor with a short throat and it is a fun rifle for coyotes.

Hate to say it man, but that gunsmith saw you coming a mile away... He just got rid of a shitty twist barrel blank he'd never be able to sell, for something he could use. These days people use modern twists like 1:7 to 1:8 for .22 caliber centerfires... He probably ordered that a long time ago for a customer who realized his twist rate order screwup, and never paid him for it, and it's been collecting dust ever since. Then he convinced you it would work fine for what you want, and now he's gotten rid of a blank he'd never be able to sell to a customer in 2024.

Unless you ONLY ever want to shoot light bullets, in which case 65's or less and you'd be ok at good velocities for coyotes.

Last edited:
Big difference between 100, 300 & 600 yard bullet selection.

Seems silly not to chamber it in 243 or a benchrest cartridge if you never want to use factory ammunition.

Last edited:
The 14t will handle bullets up to 75gr without issue, regardless what the stability factor calculators say.

I have 3 14tw 6mms and one in 13.5tw.
The 6 PPC, the 6 BR and a 6-250 are 14tw. One BR is a 13.5.

If you're going to chamber your barrel in 6 Creed, use 6-250 data if you can't find what you need.

If it was my rifle, I'd just go with a 6-BR.

Reactions: supercorndogs
Sell the barrel and get something else unless you chamber it for 6PPC, 6BR or 243 win. While 6 creed would be
fine you would need a custom reamer made with a short throat, just not worth it.

Reactions: Kever
The 6PPC is the king in short range benchrest, 6BR just cant hang with the PPC but at long range the 6BR with heavy
bullets will outclass a 6PPC.