• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mm Dasher in an AT with AW Mags? Is is worth trying?

Jakerz

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2008
Statesville, NC
So I've been able to find lots of info and threads about people running it successfully in AICS mags, and also some people having issues with it. I found the mag spacer at Patriot Valley Arms for the AW mags and I've found a thread of two about people saying they work but I just wanted to see how many people have tried this with an AW mag in a AI.

Kinda thinking I should just stick with the 6mm Creedmoor and not mess with the mags at all, one of the driving forces behind me choosing to get an AI was the reliability factor of the entire system and screwing around with that seems like it may not be worth the headache.

So what's everyone experience with this?

Jake

I've got a dasher barrel for my AI and after tweaking and culling mags, I've got 2 that run about 90%. Now, the team AI guys all run BRs and dashers flawlessly. It CAN be done but you're running the risk of a headache to get it where you want it. These rifles were designed to run .308. We are asking them to do something they weren't designed to do but it can be done. Just know that going forward.

I'm running an AT with a 6BRA barrel and the HRD kit. I've had one range trip in 400 rounds where I've had both mags run 100%. It can be done but man I've had a lot of in-mag nose dives.

Hmm, I like the HRD Kit a lot more than the other one I've found because I don't have to cut up my follower. Thanks for the info!

I very briefly tried a BRA with the HRD kits and had feeding issues and nosedives. I gave up right away on it, so it’s not a definite “no” that it won’t work.

I’ve put a good number of rounds of 6GT through my AI now, and as long as the rounds are loaded forward in the mag, all appears to be good. If the rounds are loaded to the rear then I had issues with the second to last round ramming into the face of the barrel.

Upon investigating it, I think one of the main issues is simply when the round leaves the mag based on the base-to-shoulder length, combined with the overall length of the round. 6BR<6BRA<6 Dasher<6GT<6x47L<6 Creed.

My advice would be to avoid your first barrel being an experiment in potential feeding issues, and stick with 6 Creed. Once that barrel is almost shot out decide how you want to proceed from there.

Reactions: Jakerz
Sounds like 6Creed is the way to go, don't have to mod anything and I can get ammo off the shelf if I don't wanna reload all the time. Now I just need to figure out where to get a barrel from I guess.

Thanks, guys!
Jake

I ordered a barrel directly from mile high that I liked pretty well

Yeah, they didn't show any 26" 6 Creed barrels in stock on the website and I forgot to ask Mike about it when I called, figured I'd look around a bit and see what I can find in stock.