• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mm dasher or .243ai

Re: 6mm dasher or .243ai

Dasher...You have to do some mag mods but it will get about twice the barrel life and likely will about be twice as accurate too.

Id actually consider it if I were starting over again.6x47L is a kick ass cartridge with attributes of both 6D and 243AI.It's what I use now.My accuracy load sends 115's at 3100fps.No mag mods either.

Steve.

243ai, no mag mods. Load a high end charge with a bullet and pull the trigger and you now have brass. Neck sizing only.

105amax at 3300 with R17

243AI's live much longer than that.

243AIs may live longer than that but if you had a barrel that stayed accurate past 1k rounds in a 243AI, I'd be interested to hear how you did it.

In fairness,I've only been around a couple dozen 243AI tubes.

'22,moly and a kiss. What else has you stumped?

I'll greedily take 243AI capacity to COAL ratio,over the lot.

The 6BR based cartridges are very very efficient. The Dasher can push 115s to 3000fps no problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jedi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.6mmar.com/Super_LR.html

i would go this route

</div></div>

I'm having a Kreiger 7.5" twist barrel made for that cartridge right now on a DPMS LR chassis.

It should be here in the next few weeks.

NO fireforming, no neck turning, I have no interest in using up 1/4 of my barrel life just making 500 pieces of brass. With this cartridge you just run .243 brass through the sizing die.

I got the dies in last week.

It's basically a .243 modernized with a long neck and good shoulder angle to increase barrel life and hold those long bullets well..

My goal is to get 2900-2950 fps in a 24" bbl w/ DTACS and this should have really good barrel life.

I guess this needs to go in the new AR forum!

Give me a straight up 243 and pass the 105A-Max...as opposed to the attempts to reinvent that wheel.

500pcs of 243AI brass,is quite a few more than a lot(for starters).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slipstream</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Give me a straight up 243 and pass the 105A-Max...as opposed to the attempts to reinvent that wheel.

</div></div>

Poetic ramblings, strong personality shining though... only one person comes to mind! A game I'm not smart enough to play!

EDIT: Or is a game I'm smart enought to know not to play?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slipstream</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Give me a straight up 243 and pass the 105A-Max...as opposed to the attempts to reinvent that wheel.

</div></div>

Hi NOBODY...Be nice so we can enjoy your company for more than a day! Some of us kinda like you!

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slipstream</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Give me a straight up 243 and pass the 105A-Max...as opposed to the attempts to reinvent that wheel.

</div></div>

Hi NOBODY...Be nice so we can enjoy your company for more than a day! Some of us kinda like you!

Steve </div></div>
Wow. Not even a day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> and likely will about be twice as accurate too.

</div></div>

really how did you come to this .... twice i would like to see....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: donovan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> and likely will about be twice as accurate too.

</div></div>

really how did you come to this .... twice i would like to see.... </div></div>

I'll let you take that up with the 600Y benchrest crowd.Some sub 1" 5 shot groups have been shot at that distance during comps.

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: donovan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> and likely will about be twice as accurate too.

</div></div>

really how did you come to this .... twice i would like to see.... </div></div>

I'll let you take that up with the 600Y benchrest crowd.Some sub 1" 5 shot groups have been shot at that distance during comps.

Steve</div></div>

Really! Wow NO SHIT!!!

That is it, I'm selling my 243AI and building a Dasher!

So show us some sub 1" groups that YOU HAVE SHOT at 600 yards WITH YOUR DASHER....

Not me ... I've never even owned a 6 Dasher and don't be all butt hurt
smile.gif
Look up the info yourself.

Had a 6 Dasher. Strong emphasis on had.
The 6D is time consuming to make brass for. At least it was more so than I have time for. It shot well but I got into blown primer land just before 3K fps with 107 SMK. I have sold it and will replace with a 6x47 Lapua no turn.
Of the two you ask about, I would choose 243AI.
Hell, barrels aren't supposed to last forever! That's why companies that make them are still in business.

What's brass life like in the 6x47 L

6PPC and 6Dasher brass are both a PITA to make. I will never own another 6PPC and I'll shoot a 6BR no turn neck when I want to launch heavy 6mm pills. 6PPC brass prep is the reason I don't own a 6Dasher.

243AI for magazine fed.
I would go with 6BR 272NK with a 104FB before 6Dasher.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not me ... I've never even owned a 6 Dasher and don't be all butt hurt
smile.gif
Look up the info yourself.</div></div>

So your post above you were talking out of your ass....

Why give info on something you have never owned?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Skip the dasher and just go 6x47 if you want a smaller case.

If you want a bit more speed try the 6 crusader.. </div></div>

I've been eagerly waiting on the 6 crusader, I thought it had not been released yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not me ... I've never even owned a 6 Dasher and don't be all butt hurt
smile.gif
Look up the info yourself.</div></div>

So your post above you were talking out of your ass....

Why give info on something you have never owned? </div></div>

The operative word here is... "likely"...will about be twice as accurate too.
Read what I wrote cause you "likely" are being a jack...ASS,LOL.

UH...and I don't need to own one to be able to read statistics about what wins in the accuracy department.Like I posted look it up your self and while you're at it try to find any records 243AI has set except,LOL,which cartridge can wear out a barrel the quickest.

I'm not saying that 243AI's aren't fast and accurate but It's not the most efficient cartridge on the planet either.

Here's one I found.I'm done discussing this subject and am not wasting any more effort on it.

World-Record holder Robert Hoppe offers tips on loading the 6mm Dasher Cartridge. Robert shot a record 0.5823" group at 600 yards with his 6 Dasher.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB3ES3copL4 - Related videos

Steve

We are talking facts here! Can you say a 243AI is more accurate than a 6mm Dasher? NO! Can you say a 6mm Dasher is more accurate than a 243AI? YES! Can you say a 243AI shoots faster than a 6mm Dasher? Yes! 6mm-06 is faster, and 6mm-300WM is faster and I can go on. It's up to you! All cartridges have a certain limit. 6PPC is regarded as the most accurate round, BUT out to a 200-300yards. Not too many people if any compete BR with 50BMG, not 100% sure, but military snipers use a 50BMG or 338 of some kind for the 2000+yards shots. Pick a limit you are OK with and be happy!!! There's always a round/bullet going faster than yours, and yes, fits in a magazine.

these are 2 of my favorite cartridges and yes I have owned/own both of them. the dasher does seem to be inherilently easier to get really accurate. However I dont think you can mess with the 243ai with dtacs period.

i would say if you are target shooting mostly do the dasher

If you are doing tactical/practical shooting then do the 243ai or 6x47.

just for shit sake here are pics of my sticks
first is the dasher in the middle in gap camo
2nd is the 243ai both on 243ai
IMGP6529.jpg

IMGP6139.jpg

The Dasher for me has proven to be the most accurate, mild recoiling, easy to reload for round I've shot. Had one built last year and have another in the works.
Tried 3 new loads last week (20 shots over the chrono) and all were single digit SD, extreme spread was 12 fps. I know it's within the error of the chrono but still! And with fireforming loads.
I guess I don't get the hassle with brass prep, take 6BR brass, size the neck up, then run through the press like normal. My fireforming load uses the 87gr. V-max at 2850 fps. Very nice practice round and good on varmints. Then you can insert the bullet of your choice (mine are the Nosler 105 custom comp., 105 A-max, 105 scenar) and get on to shooting some of the most accurate rounds available.

I'm liking the the 243AI w/moly'd 105's at 3250. 600 rounds later and I'm still in the lands with the same OAL as when I started. I'm not too hard on this one, mostly just 50 round count days. Not sure how long the barrel will last, but when it does go it'll be another 243AI. If I wanted to water it down I'd just build a SAAMI 243.....good brass/bullets are easy to come by and you just load it up and shoot, all pretty simple. While barrel life and other little nuances can be good conversation to bat around, just make mine a 243AI, I like the horsepower.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jburt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's brass life like in the 6x47 L </div></div>

Seemingly forever.I've never thrown one out for being ruined by firing too many times.I cheat though
wink.gif
I own my own reamer cut to close tolerance to the case and have a custom Warner die made precisely for minimum resizing cases shot in my chamber.The primer pockets likewise last,I've never thrown one out for that reason either.

Steve