• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mm or 243

Old Coach

Minuteman
Jul 5, 2007
WNC
I have a Rem short action rifle that needs re-barreled.
Thinking of going to a 6mm Rem. or the 243
It will be a deer and hog rifle used out to 600yds.
What length bbl, and contour, #3 or #4.

What twist?
What about a Brux bbl? I found one in stock, 8 twist SS, #4contour
I have read that the 6mm is easier on bbls, T or F??
Also opinions on a Rem Ti stock.
I was going to use Jon Beanland for the work.
All help appreciated.

Re: 6mm or 243

Out of those two options I would definitely go with the 243. I am assuming you will want to shoot around 105 grain bullets. The issue is seating depth for both of these cartridges with the 243 being slightly shorter you will have more room to seat the heavy bullets.
The brux barrel will do the job just fine.
I don't see how the 6mm would be easier on barrels as it will hold more powder.
You definitely can't go wrong with a Beanland rifle. Jon is a great guy and a really great gunsmith.
I personally shoot the 243 so I am a bit biased on this one but I don't think you will be disappointed with the 243.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: John2247</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Out of those two options I would definitely go with the 243. I am assuming you will want to shoot around 105 grain bullets. The issue is seating depth for both of these cartridges with the 243 being slightly shorter you will have more room to seat the heavy bullets.
You definitely can't go wrong with a Beanland rifle. Jon is a great guy and a really great gunsmith.
I personally shoot the 243 so I am a bit biased on this one but I don't think you will be disappointed with the 243.
</div></div>

If you mean more room due to the 6mm being longer you might be correct, I have the 105 Hornady out past 3.075 & 3.100 for the Berger Hybrid but I single feed all my loads and that means everything. Ive heard the 6mm is easier on barrels,ie: throat, due to the longer neck. That being said, id buy another 6mm in a heartbeat, well, actually I am, Im having a 6mm Creedmoor built. But if you wanna stay with a commercially available cartridge, definitely the 6mm Rem. Mine is wonderfully accurate for a factory rig, an example is some targets I've included. Called those fliers, btw.
IMG_0458.jpg
IMG_0428.jpg

IMG_0476-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: John2247</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Out of those two options I would definitely go with the 243. I am assuming you will want to shoot around 105 grain bullets. The issue is seating depth for both of these cartridges with the 243 being slightly shorter you will have more room to seat the heavy bullets.
<span style="font-weight: bold">You definitely can't go wrong with a Beanland rifle. Jon is a great guy and a really great gunsmith. </span>I personally shoot the 243 so I am a bit biased on this one but I don't think you will be disappointed with the 243.
</div></div>

I hate to recommend Jon, since it means it will probably slow down my next build with him, but Beanland's work is stellar. I should be getting to go get mine next week.

As for the debate over 6mmRem vs .243, they are very similar. The 6mm has a tad more energy potential due to case size and a little bit longer neck, but other than that, they are apples to apples.

I shot one of the few sub MOA groups I've ever shot with my friend's .243 AI, and I wasn't really trying that hard.

so if you're wondering, that'd be my choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shot one of the few sub MOA groups I've ever shot with my friend's .243 AI, and I wasn't really trying that hard.

so if you're wondering, that'd be my choice. </div></div>

Ill borrow you my 6mm, youll shoot a sub 1/2moa then youll buy a 6mmRem, hahaha

Thanks for the replies.
I need to know if the 6mm will work in a short action.
I plan on using the Barnes TTSX, 87 V-Max and the Sierra 85HPBT.
Also real experience with a 6mm and bbl wear.

Coach

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Old Coach</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the replies.
I need to know if the 6mm will work in a short action.
I plan on using the Barnes TTSX, 87 V-Max and the Sierra 85HPBT.
</div></div>

With those bullets it should do fine in a short action. Note that Gorski above is using a remington short action with 105 g bullets, but he is single-loading bullets. That's where the long action will come in handy.

I mag feed a short action Savage in 6mm AI with 85grn bullets. It works just fine as those pills are pretty short. I started with the 243win, rechambered to 243AI & am now shooting the 6mmAI... I guess that kind of eludes to what my vote would be
grin.gif

If you don't need a repeater, go with 6mm AI. If you need a repeater, go .243 Win or a long-action 6mm Rem or AI.

The 6mm Rem or AI is a screamer and many shooters do claim longer life than .243 Win. The brass is more stable as well, but the AI version will require fireforming.

My vote is straight 243, cause you can find factory ammo for it anywhere and you said it is a hunting rifle. I would hate to be 6 hours from home and realize my ammo was at the house and the local shop doesn't carry 6mm. you can get all the power you want out of the 243.

Also you posted about the stock from a Rem Ti. I have two of them on hunting rifles. One I skim bedded and its shoots great and is plenty light. It balances well with my 24" factory CDL. The other I had to open up and fill it and repaint it for a custom contour barrel. The rifle shoots great in it and balances a bit more forward, but its tolerable. Great stock for the money!

Both great cartridges, I sold my 6mm and still have my 243. My 243 shoots better but was a little slower (crono'd) than the 6mm. In my opinion, I would stick with the 243 but I would not hesitate to buy a 6mm. If you are buying ammo, I have never seen any 6mm factory ammo on any of the local shelves and everyone has 243.

I had a straight 6mm custom build, Hart brrl, blueprint action, HSP stock inletted, 40x trigger, and an 8.5-25x40 Leupy, and we shot thumbtacks at 300yds. I was just trying to compete with my friends 220 swift 40x from the 1980's, and went through 10 off the shelf guns trying it. The 6mm did the job. I now have a 243, and all I can say is the 6 rem was a 243 with a bit more horse power, but I shot 70 Berger MEF's on the lands, apples to apples with the caliber, but apples to bananas with the gun. Factory vs Custom, no competition.

243ai rocks. My dad bought me a 243 for my 1 st deer rifle when I was 10 and 27 years later I still love the 243.