• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 6mm reamers?

jacq220

Sergeant
Minuteman
Looking into building my First rifle once my south bend is rebuilt. i THINK i have settled on the 6slr. Longer barrel life, and equal velocites as the 243. It seems optimal for me since i am not 100 percent sure if i am going to run the 105s or the 115's. and NO fireforming is involved. will fit in a short action and use my current alpha mags.

Day and days of research into the 6mms and my head is spinning but i always seem to come back to the .243 case varients.

I started looking at the 6mm reamers from PTG and holy shit there is alot of them. there are 4 of them just for this one round. which one is set up for what i am wanting to do and what makes it that way?

6mm SUPER LR/SS (Custom Grind $138.00) $125.00
6mm SUPER L R/S (Custom Grind $138.00) $125.00
6mm SUPER L R (Custom Grind $138.00) $125.00
6mm SUPER LR #2 (Custom Grind $138.00) $125.00

Re: 6mm reamers?

Not to change your mind/stir the pot. Just a friendly suggestion for an alternative to the six super.

A couple years back John L. had me build him a switch barrel gun. We chambered one barrel in 6mm Competition Match. It too is based on the 243 Winny.

I don't get to go out and shoot a whole lot anymore so none of this is personal experience. I know John got his HighMaster card in short order after switching. We've done a half dozen or so over the last year for folks and they've all had really good things to say.

One germ in particular was a die hard 6.5 Creedmore fan. He's since been converted. He's stated that the 6mmCM requires 8moa less elevation at 1000 than the Creedmore does and that it holds 8 inches inside the Creedmore for a given condition (wind).

The logic is the powder charge/barrel length. Slow the powder, increase the tube length and enjoy 3000-3200fps with a barrel life somewhere in the 2500-3000 round range.

Brass is easy to whip up. Moderate load, heavy bullet, and go shoot the snot out of it. Fire forms in one hit. Lapua brass can be a little more work due to its hardness. Most seem to have great luck with Winchester brass.

Again, just an alternative.

C.

I looked REALLY hard at the Competition match, but had such a hard time finding ACTUAL data that someone was getting, not someone speculating that i dropped it off the list.

Everything i read i liked but I couldnt even find what brass it was made out of or where to get dies for it.

If you had any actual data about 115 dtacs velocity w/out pressures, and 105 amax velocities then it probably would not take much to push me that way.

3150fps is the hottest I've heard.

Stuff it with h1000, retumbo, rl19, and roll.

240 egolf die set works to size em. Redding makes em.

Its just reloading/shooting. Don't overthink it.

Good luck.

C.

I get about 3100 fps with the 115s and almost no pressure. I have not tried any other bullets so I dont know how fast you can push them.

My last barrel went over 3,800 rounds before I changed it. It didnt need it, but I went to a lighter profile barrel and have that barrel on the shelf as a back up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JACQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I looked REALLY hard at the Competition match, but had such a hard time finding ACTUAL data that someone was getting, not someone speculating that i dropped it off the list.

Everything i read i liked but I couldnt even find what brass it was made out of or where to get dies for it.

If you had any actual data about 115 dtacs velocity w/out pressures, and 105 amax velocities then it probably would not take much to push me that way. </div></div>