• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mm Remington Questions

DIBBS

Old Mountain Man-Tired occasionally Grumpy SOB
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 21, 2008
    WARSHington State
    I have offered to reload some ammo for a friend and have no experience with this caliber. Older 700 Remington . For simplicity, rather than load a deer and coyote load separately, will probably just load 95 grain ballistic tips or 100 grain boatails.

Any powder or primer recommendations?

I'd pick something in the lighter, shorter bullets. Probably closer to 60ish grains. Like this
    1704056883539.png

I haven’t loaded for it yet, but my dad has asked me to get dies and start loading it for him.

Varget is where I plan to start.

I thought I remembered reading that the 6mm rem was designed to shoot the 90-100gr bullets? I wouldn't want to shoot deer with a 55gr bullet. I'm sure they will die eventually, but it wouldn't be ideal..

I have offered to reload some ammo for a friend and have no experience with this caliber. Older 700 Remington . For simplicity, rather than load a deer and coyote load separately, will probably just load 95 grain ballistic tips or 100 grain boatails.

Any powder or primer recommendations?
    You need to figure out it’s twist first. Hopefully/ likely it’s a 9 and you can use the 90-100s. But if it’s a 12 you’ll be in an up hill battle with those bullets.

Reactions: Hecouldgoalltheway
    If it's a 700 should be 1:9 twist. Prior to 1963 it was 1:10 and the 244 Rem was 1:12 which is why the 243 ran away with the crowd early on being able to manage the 100gr deer bullets. Regardless check twist to be sure.

Reactions: J. W.
    If it's a 700 should be 1:9 twist. Prior to 1963 it was 1:10 and the 244 Rem was 1:12 which is why the 243 ran away with the crowd early on being able to manage the 100gr deer bullets. Regardless check twist to be sure.
    I think this is right. The 700 came out in ‘63 I think. By then Remington had already gone to the tighter 1:9 twist, trying to regain the ground lost to the .243 Win.

Cleaning and oiling the rifle and degunking the trigger group right now... I'm not sure that the rifle has EVER been out of the stock. It's a farmer, what can I say. Busy with cows year round , irrigation, fixing fence, and putting up hay.

I'll check with a cleaning rod later, but as other posters have stated, pretty sure it is a 9 twist barrel.

Its Older ADL but in relatively good shape.

Last edited:
    Doesn’t sound like this guy is planning on shooting any kind of LR. Factory 6MMs and 243s generally shoot the 85-100 better than the lighter stuff. The 85 Sierra gameking is a pretty tough bullet and you can shoot it plenty flat. I agree with 4350 recommendations. I’ve tried quite a few powders in 9 and 10 twist 6s, H or IMR 4350 are pretty tough to beat.

The 90 bt and 87 vmax are solid performers accuracy wise. Haven’t shot many deer with either, but their reputation is good.

Reactions: J. W. and DIBBS
    Just coyotes on occasion and his wife deer hunts with the rifle. No long range shooting plans .