• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 6mm Remington

feelinducky

Private
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2009
California
I have a short action savage in 22-250 is can I use this action to build a 6mm Remington? Or do I need a long action?
Thanks

Re: 6mm Remington

It will work with factory ammo, 6mm in factory rifle was always done on a short action. If you want to seat bullets way out as a reloader, then that is something to consider.

I have a Rem 600 in 6mm Short action that works fine with feeding from the mag. May have a problem with 105 or 108, never used them but a 100 gr sierra works fine

With the bullets you describe, you will be fine in a S/A. Its when you jump up to the 105s, 107s, 115s, that mag constraints will become an issue.

I got a lead on a Savage 6mm barrel if you haven't already picked one out. PM me for details.

Don't mess with the 6mm Rem in this case - go to the 6mm/22-250. You can re-use your existing brass - just neck it up to 6mm with one pass of a tapered expander. You can run 107s and 115s mag length at or under 2.800" COAL no problem. Redding sells the dies. Lots of reamers floating around out there for it. One of the most standard wildcats you'll come across, also known as the 6mm International.

The 6mm Rem. will work fine.

If your using a standard spec. reamer it has a nice throat diameter but the throat is on the long side.

I shot a 6mm Rem. for about a dozen years as a long range round. My reamer though I shortened the throat about approx. .070" so the base of a 107 Sierra is at the base of the shoulder junction.

My o.a.l. is approx. 2.975" with a 107's.

You could shorten up the throat a little more if you wanted.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels