• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 6mm Shooters

Tunanut

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2010
Lake Norman
I'm shooting a 243AI with a 25" Hart 10 twist. I've tried lots of power and pill combinations and many shoot less than .5" 100yrd groups. My issue is that I've found a couple combinations that shoot 90g SCENARs .22" to .24" 5 shot groups @ 3080 to 3090fps. The best I've been able to get pushing 3200fps is .33". My question is: "is it better to give up some speed (120fps) for .1" more precision at 100yrds?

Since many of these loads were shot at different times and conditions, I plan on making a batch of the best shooting loads and try some 300yrd 10 shot groups in the same conditions to see if the groups hold together. Thoughts?

Re: 6mm Shooters

.1 difference. Isn't that one really within the noise? How do you really know it wasn't just a bad day, string, position, puff of wind or 100 other things that threw that .1?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tunanut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm shooting a 243AI with a 25" Hart 10 twist. I've tried lots of power and pill combinations and many shoot less than .5" 100yrd groups. My issue is that I've found a couple combinations that shoot 90g SCENARs .22" to .24" 5 shot groups @ 3080 to 3090fps. The best I've been able to get pushing 3200fps is .33". My question is: "is it better to give up some speed (120fps) for .1" more precision at 100yrds?

Since many of these loads were shot at different times and conditions, I plan on making a batch of the best shooting loads and try some 300yrd 10 shot groups in the same conditions to see if the groups hold together. Thoughts? </div></div>

Downsides with the faster load.

1.Damage to steel.I shoot steel often and used to shoot 95 grainers at 3220fps which would pock up my 3/8 AR500 plates at 200-300Y. A few of those smaller plates have holes in them now from the initial abuse at closer ranges.

2.Many tactical matches have a velocity cap of 3100fps.

3.Throat life will be reduced with the faster load. More noise,more powder,reduced brass life.

4.Less accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tunanut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm shooting a 243AI with a 25" Hart 10 twist. I've tried lots of power and pill combinations and many shoot less than .5" 100yrd groups. My issue is that I've found <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">a couple combinations that shoot 90g SCENARs .22" to .24" 5 shot groups @ 3080 to 3090fps.</span></span> The best I've been able to get pushing 3200fps is .33". My question is: "is it better to give up some speed (120fps) for .1" more precision at 100yrds?

Since many of these loads were shot at different times and conditions, I plan on making a batch of the best shooting loads and try some 300yrd 10 shot groups in the same conditions to see if the groups hold together. Thoughts? </div></div>

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">I say Shoot this </span>^ <span style="font-weight: bold">because of this </span>v</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Downsides with the faster load.

1.Damage to steel.I shoot steel often and used to shoot 95 grainers at 3220fps which would pock up my 3/8 AR500 plates at 200-300Y. A few of those smaller plates have holes in them now from the initial abuse at closer ranges.

2.Many tactical matches have a velocity cap of 3100fps.

3.Throat life will be reduced with the faster load. More noise,more powder,reduced brass life.

4.Less accuracy.</span>

</div></div>

Thanks fellas for the input. It helps my ego understand that faster isn't always better. I too have noticed damage to my steels with the faster loads. I'll take ya'lls advise and brew up a batch and do some longer range testing. The most accuate loads were between 45.7g and 45.9g of R19, anything special or unique that I should be aware of using R19? It certianly wasn't my power of choice, but seems that it's the one my rifle likes the best. I bought some R19 for fireforming, but it has been the only power that has produced bugholes with several different projectiles. Even the fireforming loads are rediculously accurate. If I can get out this weekend to shoot, I'll post up the results.

Just recheck the velocity in the summer because of the heat. When I was using R-17 I'd load .2 grains less in the middle of summer to try and keep the velocity the same as in the winter.