• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

D_TROS

Flag-Sword-Cross
Minuteman
  • Aug 19, 2010
    North Denver, CO
    HAVE any of you tried the super slow powders in the 244 Remington (6mm Rem, 6-257 Roberts, 6-7x57 Mauser)?

The research I have done on this site is mostly the 6 Crusader. I want more info on 6mm Rem but any input on other AI 6mm calibers will be appreciated (esp barrrel life - velocities - feeding from an AW mag)

Seems the latest craze is using larger capacity cases with slow burning powder to dramatically increase the barrel life. Sounds legit to me.

Example: 6 Competition Match, 6 Crudsader, 6AI, 243 AI, etc.. with either 50 gr H1000 or Retumbo. This should not only give decent volicities, it should have excellent case life (15 +/- doing neck sizing - anneal every 5 reloads with a full length size) and excellent barrel life. Reported velocities of 3200-3300 is not uncommon from my research, so my SWAG is a 6mm Rem with a shorter barrel should get at least 2900-3000 fps (my goal)

I have 3 friends shooting the 6 Comp MAtch (practically a 243 AI), and one has reported 4000 rounds before rebarreling with the slow powders.

Now im on the fence for a competition rifle in either 6xc, 243, or 6 rem (dont want to do fire forming) All the matches I shoot have a 3150 velocity limit so hot rodding it is not an option. My goal is to shoot the 115 dtacs from 2900-3000 from a 22" barrel( i realize this limits the velocity cause of slow burning powders, but shorter barrel is more important than a fast bullet). I will be using an AW mag, and for those not familiar, they give me an OAL of 2.98, so I will be able to load pretty long. Also, I will be using a short action with AW cut to utilize these mags.

the good thing about the slow powders is the low heat/pressure. I am pretty sure I wont be able to cram enough H1000 into a case to reach pressure, but if anyone can do a quickload I would appreciate it. from what research I have done, and it has been extensive, I am anitcipating 47-50 grains of powder to be used in the 6mm Rem case.

I like the 6mm rem case because it is steeper shouldered than the 243, and also a longer neck. Should help in the barrel life department.

SO, if anyone has any thoughts, concerns, experience, etc with 6mm and slow powder, short barrels and slow powder, I would greatly appreciate some input.

I have a 22" 338LM that I love (92 gr H1000 pushes 300SMK @ 2720) with good results. Hoping the slow powder/short barrel works out for a smaller cal.

The majority of my research of the 6mm Rem people have been using light weight bullets, long barrels, at super high velocities with fast burning powder. That is not my goal. My goal is 2900+ fps and a barrel life of 2500+ rnds.

Thanks again,
    DT

Have you considered the 6mm SLR. It is easy to form, can make in one pass from Lapua .243 Win brass, 30 deg shoulder and long 6mm type neck. Push the 115 DTAC 3100. See Robert Whitley web site. It is very well thought out and mag length will work ect.

DT,

I can barely hit 3000 fps with a 26 in barrel and 115s using h1000 in my CM without pressure issues. Best way to go is 105's @3100. You make up for wind loss shooting 100 fps faster. With a 22 in barrel will really make that difficult.

Using AW mags, I believe the rib on the mag will mess up feeding with the 6MM rem.

Still wondering why you care so much about burning out the barrel... Your a speed whore anyways!

DT,

I can barely hit 3000 fps with a 26 in barrel and 115s using h1000 in my CM without pressure issues. Best way to go is 105's @3100. You make up for wind loss shooting 100 fps faster. With a 22 in barrel will really make that difficult.

Using AW mags, I believe the rib on the mag will mess up feeding with the 6MM rem.

Still wondering why you care so much about burning out the barrel... Your a speed whore anyways!

Maybe he is a reformed speed whore lol...

I have been using Viht N-165 with 105 Berger Hybrids in a 243 with 26" barrel. Running a mild load @ 3010 fps with very good accuracy. Viht N-165 has one of the lowest temperature rates there is.

Have you considered the 6mm SLR. It is easy to form, can make in one pass from Lapua .243 Win brass, 30 deg shoulder and long 6mm type neck. Push the 115 DTAC 3100. See Robert Whitley web site. It is very well thought out and mag length will work ect.

I have (for those not familiar Super LR)

actually reviewed it last night. looks very tempting for sure. Know anyone who actually has one? Might be an idea with 4831SC for the shorter barrel. this may have moved to the top of my list.

haha busted. I care due to match restrictions. otherwise I'd just hit it wide open.

I have been using Viht N-165 with 105 Berger Hybrids in a 243 with 26" barrel. Running a mild load @ 3010 fps with very good accuracy. Viht N-165 has one of the lowest temperature rates there is.

I thought VV powders were temp sensitive?? (or is that RL?? ha) I know H1000 has chrono'd same for me over that temp range (within my ES/SD of my shitty reloading skills).
    Its not uncommon in CO to be shooting in the morning at 20* and 80* by afternoon.
    Either way, thats right in the ballpark where I want to be velocity wise. I thinking 2900 with the 115 or 3000 with the 105 would be a lights out package for a match cartridge. what round count you have on your barrel? expected life?

Im not terribly concerned with barrel life, but I want at least 2k rounds.

Regards,
    DT

DT,
    I almost have a 6mm SLR.
    I have dies, formed brass, reamer and a 6mm BR IMP to re chamber. Will be shooting it in a few weeks. My rifle is a Borden repeater with a Bartlien barrel. I will also be doing another one on a Surgeon. I have shot the 6mm/243's for longer than I care to think about and I think this one is the ticket. For all the reasons mentioned. Brass, neck length shoulder angel, capacity etc. I have shot everything from 6BR to 244 H&H so have used most of them. Good luck and let me know if you want to use the reamer.
    RTH

Dorgan,

I'd call up KevinU. His SLR shot out in about 1300 rounds using Short Cut. Don't know if it was a bad barrel or what, but food for thought. If you really want a 22in barrel your going to have to use hot powder to get any significant velocity. A XC might be your ticket, send Tom an email he shot one for a couple of years and there is no dreaded FF process.

I thought VV powders were temp sensitive?? (or is that RL?? ha) I know H1000 has chrono'd same for me over that temp range (within my ES/SD of my shitty reloading skills).
    Its not uncommon in CO to be shooting in the morning at 20* and 80* by afternoon.
    Either way, thats right in the ballpark where I want to be velocity wise. I thinking 2900 with the 115 or 3000 with the 105 would be a lights out package for a match cartridge. what round count you have on your barrel? expected life?

Im not terribly concerned with barrel life, but I want at least 2k rounds.

Regards,
    DT

I am not sure how temperature sensitive N-165 is, it is a single based powder, I need to do some more chrono work. I would stay with H-1000 if you wanted the best for temperature sensitivity. I tested some H-1000 in the .243 and it did very well also. I only have 1000rnds through the barrel and it looks very good with little throat erosion. Barrel life should be very good, it has a lower heat index then H-1000 and only running around 54k pressure.

Dorgan,

I'd call up KevinU. His SLR shot out in about 1300 rounds using Short Cut. Don't know if it was a bad barrel or what, but food for thought. If you really want a 22in barrel your going to have to use hot powder to get any significant velocity. A XC might be your ticket, send Tom an email he shot one for a couple of years and there is no dreaded FF process.

Shot out in 970 rds. 26" barrel, 42 4831SC/Dtacs @ 2970. Maybe a bum barrel?

Old thread that came up on researching. I'm going to try H1000 for .244 Remington I recently cobbled together.

Interesting???

That's my load in 6x47L, 3010 fps, barrel is melonited and shooting great at 2300 rounds.

That barrel lasted 2900 rounds BTW.

My current barrel is going south right now at 1600 rounds but it's not Melonited .

In both barrels I was using 4831sc.

FYI, H1000 was too slow for the x47? case, I tried it and ES was high, fps low. I think H1000 is a good idea for the bigger 6mm's.

Considering a 243 build myself for this very reason. Second guessing whether a 6SLR would be a better route.

Just another data point.

24" Brux barrel, melonited
    .243 Winchester
    H1000 48.3gr
    105 Amax at 3070fps

At 1800 rounds I took the barrel off as velocity had been dropping over the last range sessions and was at 2850. Still shot pretty well though.

I've found in the .244 Rem that the range for H1000 is 47-50(C) grains shooting 107 SMK w/ match primer lights out anywhere within that range. That is MV 3000-3250. No signs of pressure. Absolute pleasure to shoot. I'm going to use 48.8 gr. with match primer and call it. 28" barrel.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reactions: Bender
    interesting - i'm using a short - throated 6 Creedmoor, 44.5gr of H1000 and that gets me to 2930fps with a 115 DTAC, out of a 26" barrel. Using Alpha brass. I think the combo of short throat, thick brass, all reduce the volume inside the cartridge, thereby raising pressures, and giving me speed with the slow powder.

I wonder how necking down 6.5 PRC to 6mm would do with H1000 or Retumbo.